Additional tips: How much?

Debbers

Related to tip information is tips for your shore excursions. We are going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of the month and received an Oceania Cruises Essential Travel Guide. I'm not sure if this was specific to this cruise itinerary so it may be different for other destinations. It states: Suggested gratuity amounts are $1.00 USD for the driver and $2.50 USD for the local city guide per guest for half-day excursions, and $2.00 USD for the driver and $4.00 USD for the local city guide per guest for the full- day excursions.

I just want to understand this.... is this what Oceania suggest for Oceania excursions? If so, this is good information to know! I am about to take my first Oceania excursions with OLife.

I have never seen an Oceania EssentialTravel Guide.

I'm not sure if it is Oceania's recommendation or our TA's (since the guide came from our TA). It seems a bit low to me, but then my husband thinks I over tip. I'm more likely to use the SPB tours recommendation of 5% for the driver and 10% for the guide - or maybe something in-between...

I'm not sure if it is Oceania's recommendation or our TA's (since the guide came from our TA). It seems a bit low to me, but then my husband thinks I over tip. I'm more likely to use the SPB tours recommendation of 5% for the driver and 10% for the guide - or maybe something in-between...

I think you should tip what you feel is right. How good the guide and driver were. But remember SPB is the tour company and the more they can get their guests to tip the less they have to pay their people. Oceania keeps raising their added tips so they don't have to give their help bigger raises. I like it better when there is no tipping and the cruise lines pay their help a living wage and do not have to nickle and dime their guests for tips.

I think you should tip what you feel is right. How good the guide and driver were. But remember SPB is the tour company and the more they can get their guests to tip the less they have to pay their people. Oceania keeps raising their added tips so they don't have to give their help bigger raises. I like it better when there is no tipping and the cruise lines pay their help a living wage and do not have to nickle and dime their guests for tips.

Very good point.

In addition to tips which we leave in addition to the gratuities, I always note by name those crew members who have given us excellent service on the comment cards at the end of the cruise. Supervisors and management read those comments and pass on the positive remarks and it does help performance reviews.