Elderly Mother in Law Joining Us Question!!

suesings

We've traveled in suites along with friends who didn't have a suite. They were able to sit in the suite lounge and board with us. They sat with us in the suite section for the shows. They went with us for priority debarkation in ports and at the end of the cruise. We didn't bring them to Cagney's, but it wasn't a big deal to them. We asked our Butler to bring in snacks for when we played cards in our room and when we had a sail into port gathering.

The concierge and the butler rely on getting good tips and will bend over backwards for you. They will do somersaults for an 87 year old MIL

Wow, didn't they check your card? Were they taking the place of others in your suite who were not attending the show (so not taking more suite seats than you actually paid for?).

When we booked our suite, they charged us for 4 people. Doesn't that mean 4 people are presumed and counted for to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and/or lunch from that Suite? Are people bringing more than their allowed number of paid roommates to breakfast/lunch and shows?? I wouldn't care if someone had 4 spots and none of their suite mates wanted to go to breakfast so they brought someone else since they paid for 4 spots and aren't using them. Same with a show. But I don't think extra people should be brought into the restaurant or shows (as in you paid for 4 people in your suite but bring 6 people to breakfast or a show).

Just my opinion.

Sue

:)

Wow, didn't they check your card? Were they taking the place of others in your suite who were not attending the show (so not taking more suite seats than you actually paid for?).

When we booked our suite, they charged us for 4 people. Doesn't that mean 4 people are presumed and counted for to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and/or lunch from that Suite? Are people bringing more than their allowed number of paid roommates to breakfast/lunch and shows?? I wouldn't care if someone had 4 spots and none of their suite mates wanted to go to breakfast so they brought someone else since they paid for 4 spots and aren't using them. Same with a show. But I don't think extra people should be brought into the restaurant or shows (as in you paid for 4 people in your suite but bring 6 people to breakfast or a show).

Just my opinion.

Sue

Nope. Suite perks are not transferrable. NCL's rules. Not mine. Or yours.

Also, those travelling solo in suites are not entitled to 2 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

Nope. Suite perks are not transferrable. NCL's rules. Not mine. Or yours.

Also, those travelling solo in suites are not entitled to 2 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm assuming a person who booked solo, booked solo as in one person. Regardless of how much they paid, they booked 1 person.

Just my opinion.

Sue

Non suite guests are not entitled to any suite perks, plain and simple. If you could delegate to non suite friends which perks you wanted to "share" or "give away" it it scamming the system. It's no different then any other venue in life, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

With our suite we got all 7 dinners in a specialty restaurant. They checked all four cruise cards to be sure we were entitled.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Thank you so much for your message. I am so sorry to hear about your MIL's passing. I keep thinking that we must appreciate each chance we get with her as you just never know how much longer she has. She is still in good health but all it takes is one fall (God forbid) :(

Both of my parents are gone and my MIL is the only living grandparent our two daughters have.

We do not need anything "for free" My MIL has plenty of money. The suites show sold out and I don't know if she would want a giant room for just her anyhow.

I am just trying to figure how I can not look like the worst DIL in the world. I just told my husband this morning about how we have a suite and these perks that come with it. (I do all the travel booking so he did not even know). He says to me "Well you and the girls can board early and go to Cagney's for lunch and I will stay with my mom and board with her and go to the buffet, etc." CAN YOU IMAGINE ME BOARDING BEFORE MY MIL?? What kind of self-centered loser DIL would I be to get on board with her 2 grand daughters and go eat lunch without her??? I was just asking if there was a way she could be with us without having to sleep on our couch, share a bathroom with our teen daughters or have me sleep on the couch (with my bad back). I know my MIL, and she likes to have her own room and space to relax and get away when she gets tired.

She lives down in San Diego and usually spends Thanksgiving with my SIL so I didn't even think about it when I booked.

Is there a way we can just pay for the early boarding for her and lunch Cagney's, early tenders, etc?? She doesn't need the free drinks or free specialty restaurants, she has plenty of money to pay for those things.

I know we can forfeit all of our suite perks but that kind of stinks as this is our first big Suite experience. My daughters and I have been so excited about everything that comes with a suite.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Sue

Send an email to the shore side concierge, explain the situation and ask for certain things. They can say no or yes but you tried and asked.

We were granted permission for my step daughter, her mom and stepdad to board with us when we were in a suite and they were not. We were also allowed to have all of us together for embarkation day lunch only.

DH and Kids mom each paid for one of their shared children in their room. We then had our daughter as well so we needed a suite that would sleep 5 so all 3 kids could spend the night with us. Butler was awesome and brought food for stepchild not booked in our room, etc.

Really look at realistically what does she want to be included in versus not and then make those requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way we can just pay for the early boarding for her and lunch Cagney's, early tenders, etc?? She doesn't need the free drinks or free specialty restaurants, she has plenty of money to pay for those things.

I'm not sure what the options are on other ships, but I have seen postings where non-Haven guests are permitted for a$25 fee to join Haven guests at dinner twice during a cruise. I have also read, this is no longer the case. Have not seen anything specific to lunch.

My NCL experiences have been that the rules change and it varies by ship and personnel.

Call, document everything and worst case, there will be a main dining room open for lunch. It won't be the suite lunch, but in our experience, the dining room is not crowded and the food is good.

As discussed in earlier posts, including mine, her boarding with you should not be an issue, but I don't recall anyone mentioning her stateroom keys. Call to see if her keys can be with yours or they will be on the general line which is usually long!!!!

Also, keep checking if there has been a suite cancellation as that may work for her to upgrade or if your ship has a larger suite. I have only been in suites on the Away series ships so the configuration is different. One issue on the Away series is that the Haven courtyard staterooms have a tub/shower combination which can be difficult for an elderly person to enter/exit as the tub height is higher than home.

As I mentioned, I travel with my 87 year old, active and independent mom, and I am trying to think of any blips we have encountered along the way.

You also mentioned the specialty dining - if your MIL did not take that option when booking, it is much more cost effective to purchase a package, then to pay alacarte

Have a wonderful cruise!

Send an email to the shore side concierge, explain the situation and ask for certain things. They can say no or yes but you tried and asked.

We were granted permission for my step daughter, her mom and stepdad to board with us when we were in a suite and they were not. We were also allowed to have all of us together for embarkation day lunch only.

Really look at realistically what does she want to be included in versus not and then make those requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, I will call the concierge and find out if she can board and disembark with us. She just booked a mini suite a few cabins down from us as the one attached was already taken. My husband is going to see if my MIL will agree to a wheelchair to keep her safe during boarding. I would be sick if she lost her footing in the crowds and hustle/bustle and standing for long periods is hard for her. She doesn't need any other perk as she picked the dining one and had them link our dinner reservations with hers so we can eat together.

Did you ask them to move their keys to the suite check in place so the keys were all together when you checked in or did they check in at their line and then walk in with you? Thank you!