Can I make a 10:55am Flight from FLL? (cruise Miami)

Jade13

I have been trying for weeks to get flights to Miami (Presidents Day week) and flights have been $1,000 plus per person (we need 4 tickets). I finally decided to use Celebritys air with Diviation and they e-mailed me very good flights (Would be $520.0pp with the diviation fee). I responded and when did not hear from them called and all of their diviation flights are gone (a day early from the cruise). If we use their hotel (which we can't unless we get two rooms - they don't book Suites) they will be forced to put us on flights a day early but they will be random and based on whats available a good shot at coming in late the night before 9:30 or 10:30pm.

I just looked up FLL and can get very good flights (one stop and arrive a day early around 12:30pm for $569.60 with tax per person roundtrip and have two $99 companion tickets (put them on hold). So, basically total for four would be $1,411.20 ($352.80pp). We would most likely rent a car from FLL airport to Miami hotel and take a cab back to the airport

($75.00?).

BUT, can we make a 10:55am flight out of FLL when we are docking in Miami? I know all about Customs and someone holding up the entire ship. I also assume the airport will be a zoo.

I have searched and searched and searched and flights after 12:00pm are mostly $700 one way (Jet Blue and Airtran $399 before tax one way).

So, options are the 10:55am FLL return or just book everything with Celebrity same day as cruise and pot luck..for $478.00pp (or same price a day early with two hotel rooms at $500). I can get a Suite at the Embassy Suites for $225.00 w tax including breakfast for 4 and transfer to the pier at $10pp.

The only issue is if we can make the return flight? I assume Celebrity will not do transfers for flights leaving before 12:00pm, or will they?

No way.

You'll need to ARRIVE at FLL no later than 9:30AM to allow for ticketing & security.

Assuming a 1 hour drive from MIA you'll be needing to be leave the port of Miami at 8:30.

Most ships just start disembarking at that time plus you'll still need time to collect your luggage & go through customs. You'll have no room for error or any delay on this schedule.

It is just cutting way to close.

No way.

You'll need to ARRIVE at FLL no later than 9:30AM to allow for ticketing & security.

Assuming a 1 hour drive from MIA you'll be needing to be leave the port of Miami at 8:30.

Most ships just start disembarking at that time plus you'll still need time to collect your luggage & go through customs. You'll have no room for error or any delay on this schedule.

It is just cutting way to close.

The ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00am, so this is 4 hours. I thought people were nuts trying to make am 11:00am flight from Rome. I just do not know how far this airport is from the Miami port.

I am used to arriving at the gate 30 minutes before flights (US Airways shuttle). I guess I need to know what rule of thumb the cruise ship uses for its transfers. I was more concerned about the airline pushing the flight back to 10:30am etc.

Just because it says you dock at 7am does not mean you will start disembarking at 7am. Last cruise our itinerary said 7am arrival and the first person didn't leave the ship until shortly before 9am.

Assuming you are sailing on the Century departing 2/18/08 and coming back on 2/23/08, there will be 4 ships in Port of Miami the day you disembark, but there will also be 5 ships at Port Everglades - whose passengers will most likely beat you to the airport. FLL is 45 minutes away from Port of Miami. Even if your ship happens to start disembarking at 7am you would really be pushing it.

Unfortunately President's Week is an extremely popular cruise week and airfares are just plain high.

Just because it says you dock at 7am does not mean you will start disembarking at 7am. Last cruise our itinerary said 7am arrival and the first person didn't leave the ship until shortly before 9am.

Assuming you are sailing on the Century departing 2/18/08 and coming back on 2/23/08, there will be 4 ships in Port of Miami the day you disembark, but there will also be 5 ships at Port Everglades - whose passengers will most likely beat you to the airport. FLL is 45 minutes away from Port of Miami. Even if your ship happens to start disembarking at 7am you would really be pushing it.

Unfortunately President's Week is an extremely popular cruise week and airfares are just plain high.

Ok, there looks like there is an option for a 10:25am flight out of Miami. The itinerary is terrible as it will take all day to get home. How far is the Miami airport? Unfortunately there was something better with $404.00 First class return but it would not allow the companion tickets to be used. I was told this is rare but the Coach tickets are twice as much as the first class ones.

MIA is consistently rated as one of the worst airports in North America. I've heard horror storries of the check-in lines, security lines, snarly workers, etc. Add in the fact that a bunch of cruise ships are disgorging their passengers and you have a recipe ripe for trouble & delays.

Where are you trying to fly to? If we know that we might be able to help up. While we might not be able to find the fare you're hoping for, there's sure to multiple flight options to wherever you're fying home to.

A 10:25 flight out of MIA is just as bad, probably even worse as security and checkin usually take longer at MIA than FLL. MIA is about 30 minutes from the pier.

I found another option. This would be with US Airways to FLL, good flight which I should book tomorrow. ($245.00pp but I have two $99 vouchers I would just use one way). About $750.00 for 4 tickets w tax.

Return to FLL 11:40AM AIR Tran. Not great flights as it requires two stops but $259.80pp with tax ($1,039.20). About $1,800.00 total all.

All of this is still cheaper than Celebritys $478.00 mystery flights or $520.00 (tax included)if they had air diviation but they said they were sold out, although it would include transfers.

Other option is to book the first flight and wait on the return (I have more US Air vouchers if something better came along.)

If MIA is 30 minutes from the port and FLL is 45 minutes, that is not much of a difference. I was in MIA in 2005 and it was a zoo.

Just me, but I wouldn't even do an 11:40AM flight out of FLL, even if I was sailing into Port Everglades!!!!

Once again, just not leaving enough time. All you need is one delay along the way and you may not be flying out for another 2 days (and those hotel rooms & meals will be on your own dime) if seats aren't available on alternate flights.

All you need is one delay along the way and you may not be flying out for another 2 days (and those hotel rooms & meals will be on your own dime) if seats aren't available on alternate flights.

Especially on AirTran or any of the other LCC's. They have no agreements with other airlines to carry their pax. They won't put you on AA, United, US Air or any other carrier. So in essence, you are STUCK until AirTran or other LCC has space available seating. You are in the same situation as buying cruise air tickets which are generally booked in CONSOLIDATOR CLASS.

You may have to drive back to the NorthEast.

The flights are ao booked that Celebrity has no custom air availabilty. I can't bring myself to pay $1,000 plus for a ticket to FLL (cheapest option on my own since I would still get two roundtrips at $99).

Right now I am doing Celebritys mystery same day flights while I continue to search. Btw, Celebrity will not book a flight until 12:00pm or after for FLL and 11:00am for Miami. The flights I have been looking at are on US Airways, United (not a great idea to go through Chicago in Feb) and AA.

The flights are most likely $1000 because of the high demand for seats that day out of Southern Florida.

As mentioned, you're flying on Presidents Day week when Flordia starts to become a very popular destination due to winter breaks & very early spring breaks.

An option might be to book a hotel for that night and fly out the next day when airfare may be more reasonable. The cost of the hotel, car, & meals may greatly off-set the airline ticket costs.

The flights are most likely $1000 because of the high demand for seats that day out of Southern Florida.

As mentioned, you're flying on Presidents Day week when Flordia starts to become a very popular destination due to winter breaks & very early spring breaks.

An option might be to book a hotel for that night and fly out the next day when airfare may be more reasonable. The cost of the hotel, car, & meals may greatly off-set the airline ticket costs.

DH needs to work that Sunday but is taking off the Sunday before..I may book Airtran Business class one way for $400pp (FLL). They are fully refundable. Than I can keep looking and calling Celebritys diviation dep as well.

Here is what I have on hold right now.

USAirways because I can use two $99 companion tickets on the dates that I need.

$1,207.60 with tax (sounds insane to Florida) first ticket

$140.00 w tax second (Companion ticket)

$140.00 w tax third (Companion ticket)

$709.60 w tax forth ticket (Dh automatically bumped up to first class).

====

$2,189.60 Total all

Now, Celebritys same day mystery tickets are $478.00 roundtrip w tax or about $520.00pp to diviate a day early but not available on the return and the only availability the day before the cruise arrives at 10:00pm. The flights on hold are good arriving into FLL at 12:30pm the day before and leaving out of MiA 1:50pm on Sat the 23rd w one stop. We would all be first class into Philly since all coach seats are sold out.

If I could get the group of three priced at $709.60 I would be in business.

Here is what I have on hold right now.

USAirways because I can use two $99 companion tickets on the dates that I need.

$1,207.60 with tax (sounds insane to Florida) first ticket

$140.00 w tax second (Companion ticket)

$140.00 w tax third (Companion ticket)

$709.60 w tax forth ticket (Dh automatically bumped up to first class).

====

$2,189.60 Total all

Now, Celebritys same day mystery tickets are $478.00 roundtrip w tax or about $520.00pp to diviate a day early but not available on the return and the only availability the day before the cruise arrives at 10:00pm. The flights on hold are good arriving into FLL at 12:30pm the day before and leaving out of MiA 1:50pm on Sat the 23rd w one stop. We would all be first class into Philly since all coach seats are sold out.

If I could get the group of three priced at $709.60 I would be in business.

I called again and prices on hold:

$1,017.00 1st w tax

$140 2nd w tax

$140 3rd w tax (can look at this as total $432pp w tax)

$709.60 (DH ticket - only return bumped up to 1st class)

==

$2,006.60 or $501.65pp for all 4

Ok, so this is cheaper than Celebritys diviation ($520pp or $2,080 total which would include the return transfer). Celebrity quoted me these flights for last week and when I called they were gone. $2,006.60 plus $40 transfers (instead of cab) $2,040.60 (wow, I'm +$40.00)

Btw, ths is 1:50pm out of MIA. If I get stuck in Philly I have access into the US Airways Club.

Sorry to add this was from Mia. There is an even cheaper option to fll with one stop on was home.

Holy Cow. I am looking at US Airways because the flight to Florida (ideal time too) is only $255 one way. I have two $99 tickets that can be used but they require roundtrips. It looks like I will be making this purchase tomorrow. The 1:50pm from MIA is SOLD OUT and the 2:50pm is $1,500 ONE WAY. Instead of looking at this as a $1,000 roundtrip to FL, I need to look at it as $1,200 for 3 tickets ($432 each w tax). DH is more but at least it is first class on the return. Besides AirTran is $400 one way and that requires two changes of planes. I will try Orbitz again and call tomorrow, but if the flights are sold out I need to make the purchase.

where are you flying from ? I understand from where to FLL or MIami. For us, we ae from Milwaukee area and I wanted to fly to Miami, direct from CHicago, But somehow was better deal and time was from Milwaukee to FLL by using MIdwest Airlines.:D

where are you flying from ? I understand from where to FLL or MIami. For us, we ae from Milwaukee area and I wanted to fly to Miami, direct from CHicago, But somehow was better deal and time was from Milwaukee to FLL by using MIdwest Airlines.:D

It does not matter as I need to go through USAirways hub to use the $99 tickets. I did ty Chicago and it ws more expensive.

Though it is not likely in this case (February), be careful trying to use "companion tickets", be they from an airline or a credit card. Many of them require a high fare bucket (sometimes full Y) - often the overall cost is higher than just buying regular tickets at the current market rate. Look at the cost using the companion ticket - then compare to the price for regular tickets.

Okay that explains why your getting so much higher costs. It's probably cheaper to look at other airlines with other options. We too have the $99 vouchers but never really use them. You can usually use the upgrade pints with the lower fares though. We usually use them on long flights though ie Anchorage to PHL is definitely worth upgrading.

Though it is not likely in this case (February), be careful trying to use "companion tickets", be they from an airline or a credit card. Many of them require a high fare bucket (sometimes full Y) - often the overall cost is higher than just buying regular tickets at the current market rate. Look at the cost using the companion ticket - then compare to the price for regular tickets.

I am going to purchase them today. It is much cheaper to pay $1000.00 roundtrip for one and $99 for the other two, so it works out to $400 per ticket. There is no way I will get $200 each way to Florida during Presidents week when there are 7 ships in port that day. I could wait around and hope AirTran or Jet Blue (never have used them) prices go down but they fly out of FLL, so would also have to add $75 for cab vs $40 (4 persons with cruise transfer). I will also end up with over 5,000 FF miles too. I have tried Orbitz for days and the cheapest is $700pp roundtrip taking over 10 hours and multiple airlines. Dh has the $700 first class seat. FFmile tickets were not available as they required 50,000 miles. No way I would use that much to FL. We have had free trips to Rome for two years in a row usng 50,000 FFmile award tickets.

I have never used the companion tickets before, and I have been getting them for years, because it has been less expensive to purchase on my own. It finally works to my advantage during this period. Besides, the 1:50pm return flight I have on hold out of MIA is currently sold out to Philly with no seats left right now. Our total with tax will average $501pp but it's still cheaper than Celebritys seats and we get our first choice in both directions.

I would also be waiting around hoping more planes are added to the skys. What is the chance of that?

Thank you again for your help.

Archived