Most economical way to take care of Bermuda bus/ferry fare

mleng

You will find a lot of reviews and questions on the forum about bus fare. I will give you my recommendation. We just got back from Bermuda after a week of cruise on Celebrity Summit.

First of all, if you want easy, buy the 3-day pass at $35 per person. You don’t ever have to think or plan. But, if you want to save money, or if you are like me (being an engineer, I take it as my personal mission to figure out the most efficient and cost-effective method to do anything), I have some tips for you.

If you have done any research about Bermuda transportation fare, you know there are 3 ways to pay for bus and ferry: token, pass, and paper ticket. Well, there is a 4th way, i.e. cash, but they don’t accept paper money, so it’s practically impossible for anybody to carry enough quarters to pay for even one fare ($4.50). As I said earlier, day pass is the easiest, but the most expensive. Few people will ride enough to cover the cost. Token is only slightly cheaper than cash ($4 per token for one way travel, $2.50 for child fare), but if you only plan to do one round trip per day (to the beach and back), token is fine. Paper ticket booklet is the cheapest option, but they don’t sell them at the dock, so you will have to travel to Hamilton to buy them, hence it will require some planning.

For the 3 days we were in port, we did the following itinerary:

Wed: visited Tom Moore’s Jungle (aka Blue Hole park), Hamilton city self guided tour, and Hamilton cruise night.

In the morning, we got off the ship and bought token for each person for just one way travel (4 adults, 2 kids -- $21.)

Took #8 bus to Hamilton – avoided beach-going crowd who were all taking #7 bus. We had the entire bus to ourselves for the first half of the trip.

We got free transfers from the driver when arrived at Hamilton. All buses ended and originated at the same station in Hamilton, so it’s really easy to get off one and wait 10 minutes for the other bus.

We transferred to #1 bus to Tom Moore’s Jungle. While waiting for #1 bus, I bought paper tickets (2 books of adult tickets for $30 each and 1 book of child tickets for $15, each containing 15 tickets -- $75.)

Rode bus to Tom Moore’s Jungle and hiked the trail and visited a couple of caves and swimming holes. The park was amazing, but the weather was very hot and humid. I would have liked to spend more time in the park, but my kids were running out of steam. We only spent a little more than 1 hour there.

Took a bus (either #10 or #11) back to Hamilton, using the paper tickets bought earlier. Did a self guided walking tour, visited city hall and the 2 art galleries there. Walked to Hamilton public library and used their free WiFi in the courtyard to catch up on emails. Walked around the garden next to the library. Again, I could have done more walking, but my kids were tired.

We took the ferry back to the ship from Hamilton.

After dinner, we took the ferry back out to Hamilton for Cruise Night. It was ok, similar to any street fair you would find in US – the main street blocked from traffic, a bunch of booths selling stuff, and a sound stage playing music.

So, regarding the bus/ferry tickets -- for the first day when we did the most traveling (6 rides per person), we spent $12 per adult ($4 token to Hamilton, free transfer from Hamilton to Blue Hole, $2 bus from Blue Hole to Hamilton, $2 ferry from Hamilton to Dock, $4 ferry round trip to Hamilton at night); $5 per child ($2.50 token, free transfer, $0.50 bus, $0.50 ferry to Dock, $1 ferry round trip.) That's less than the one-day pass. The next couple of days we just rode the bus to the beaches and back. Basically we spent a total of $96 on bus/ferry tickets for 3 days for 6 people and still had a few paper tickets left for our next visit to Bermuda. It will be even cheaper next time because we won't have to buy token, but can use the left over tickets to go to Hamilton and buy more paper tickets.

:)Thanks so much for posting this information! I, too, am an avid researcher when it comes to planning trips and finding the most economical way. I looked into the transportation choices, but couldn't decide on tokens or tickets (it will be 2 adults and 1 child). Question: are the tickets the same for the bus and ferry, or are there different types of tickets?

I didn't know about the transfers, so when I was counting up how many trips we would make, I counted 2 buses each way to St. George. It makes a difference now that I know about transfers, unless we take the ferry to Hamilton, then the bus to the caves or St. George. Unless the ferry gives transfers, too?

Thanks again!

Christina

Very wise purchase. We will be there next week for 7 days. Will for sure try this option.

Thanks

I think if there is less than 1/2 month remaining monthly passes are 1/2 price or at least reduced. Worked out for us #1 because we were there the first of the month and it was the 12th of the month when we left, #2 we had someone to buy them on our way out.

We were there from July 1 to July 12. 7 day pass is $56, one month pass was $55. We bought two monthly passes and sold them on our last day for $25/ea. I consider that a win.

I don't know any cruise that stops at Bermuda for more than 3 days. You must have been there via flights, or back-to-back cruises.

When you are there for so many days, then certainly the monthly pass will work well and you will have the time and opportunity to sell the pass at the end of your stay. But this doesn't work for regular cruise passengers.

:)Thanks so much for posting this information! I, too, am an avid researcher when it comes to planning trips and finding the most economical way. I looked into the transportation choices, but couldn't decide on tokens or tickets (it will be 2 adults and 1 child). Question: are the tickets the same for the bus and ferry, or are there different types of tickets?

I didn't know about the transfers, so when I was counting up how many trips we would make, I counted 2 buses each way to St. George. It makes a difference now that I know about transfers, unless we take the ferry to Hamilton, then the bus to the caves or St. George. Unless the ferry gives transfers, too?

Thanks again!

Christina

Tickets and tokens are the same for both bus and ferry. Bus gives out transfer, but ferry doesn't, nor will it accept transfer from bus. Like the bus transfer in US, it only works if you are going to the same direction and within a limited time window. In other words, if you are taking a bus from dock yard to Hamilton, you can get a free transfer to use on a bus from Hamilton to St. George, assuming you get on the 2nd bus within 30 minutes of getting off the 1st bus, but you won't be able to use the transfer for a bus trip back from Hamilton to dock yard.

The main idea is that the paper tickets are so much cheaper than token. For adult, it's $2 per ride vs. $4 for token; for child, it's 50cents per ride vs. $2.50 for token. So the goal is to get yourself to Hamilton ASAP and buy the tickets to use for the rest of your stay.

I bought paper tickets (2 books of adult tickets for $30 each and 1 book of child tickets for $15, each containing 15 tickets -- $75.)

Correction: in re-reading my own post, I noticed that I made a typo. The child ticket booklet is only $7.50, not $15. So it only cost me $67.50 to buy the 2 books of adult tickets and 1 book of child tickets.

My math in the rest of my message was correct -- with tickets, it's $0.5 per ride for a child.

I don't know any cruise that stops at Bermuda for more than 3 days. You must have been there via flights, or back-to-back cruises.

When you are there for so many days, then certainly the monthly pass will work well and you will have the time and opportunity to sell the pass at the end of your stay. But this doesn't work for regular cruise passengers.

Exactly why we don't cruise to Bermuda anymore. We stayed 12 days for less than what we would pay for 2.5 days there via cruise ship - and we didn't gain our typical 9lbs either.

For some people the enjoyment is the destination, but with others its about ship experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all my cruises because they introduced me to destinations I would return to, but they never spent enough time there for me.

CTCruiser72,

I would be very interested to know more about your non-cruise trip to Bermuda. My family has been to Bermuda a few times and loved it. Since it's so close to US east coast, we would be interested in flying there and staying for a whole week or even longer. However, things seem to be so expensive there. I was joking with my wife the other day that our 1 week cruise is probably a lot cheaper than the flight plus lodging and food in Bermuda for a week.

Can you tell me where you stayed in Bermuda and how much your trip approximately cost? If you don't mind, I would like to get a semi-itemized cost list, such as flights, lodging, food, local entertainment spending, etc.

I know this is a cruise forum and we are really taking this off track here. Apologize to the rest of the visitors. I promise that if you give me some guidance on the non-cruise option to Bermuda, I will be quiet and won't ask more questions.

We are doing the exact thing, I wanted more time on Bermuda than a cruise had to offer. I won't know until we return how it compares to a cruise but I am so excited to have 7 days of relaxation all day and not have to think about getting back to the ship.

We cruise a lot too but this destination we wanted to stay longer.

CTCruiser72,

I would be very interested to know more about your non-cruise trip to Bermuda. My family has been to Bermuda a few times and loved it. Since it's so close to US east coast, we would be interested in flying there and staying for a whole week or even longer. However, things seem to be so expensive there. I was joking with my wife the other day that our 1 week cruise is probably a lot cheaper than the flight plus lodging and food in Bermuda for a week.

Can you tell me where you stayed in Bermuda and how much your trip approximately cost? If you don't mind, I would like to get a semi-itemized cost list, such as flights, lodging, food, local entertainment spending, etc.

I know this is a cruise forum and we are really taking this off track here. Apologize to the rest of the visitors. I promise that if you give me some guidance on the non-cruise option to Bermuda, I will be quiet and won't ask more questions.

Apartment $140/night ($1540)

Delta from BOS $352/pp

Spent ~$300 cash including bus/ferry passes

Charged $1001 in 12 days which includes: jet ski, dining out, snacks, souvenir stuff, extra suntan lotion...you can go nuts with dining out in Bermuda, but we were fairly sensible.

We were on the Summit in June, we used Anthony of Paradise Tours Bermuda. It was the best deal for your money and I can't say enough about the great day we had. He drove 6 of us in his van all day, taking us to snorkel, cave exploring, cliff jumping & site seeing in places only locals know. He told us the history of Bermuda, showed us about the wonders of aloe & pulled leaves off trees for us to smell that provide the main scent to familiar products. The day was under $300 but on many tours you wouldn't of done as much, had as much time & the experience of personal guide and would of paid at least $70/pp. We did more with him that day, than anyone else we talked to did in 3 days. I highly recommend contacting him for your first day, than returning to some spots on following days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CTCruiser72, I would be very interested to know more about your non-cruise trip to Bermuda. My family has been to Bermuda a few times and loved it. Since it's so close to US east coast, we would be interested in flying there and staying for a whole week or even longer. However, things seem to be so expensive there.

After three cruises to Bermuda, three years in a row, we wanted more time on the island. Flew to Bermuda from Washington, DC. I don't remember the air fare but it was reasonable. I think the flight was about two hours.

We rented a condo from a Bermuda resident. Found the condo on: http://www.bermudarentals.com. Total cost for the condo was $125 per night. Condo had a full kitchen. Owner gave us full use of their swimming pool and allowed us to park our rented scooter in their driveway.

There was a grocery store a short walk away. For breakfast we'd have coffee and danish at the condo. The we ate lunch or dinner out -- we'd prepare the other meal at the condo. Simple stuff, which made shopping and clean up easy.

Best vacation we've ever had. We had seven full days on Bermuda. We must have driven the scooter from St. George to the Dockyard and back half a dozen times! The condo was centrally located, just a few minutes from Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Best memory...we left the Dockyard along the South Shore Road and stopped at every beach! Some beaches we'd stay an hour or so and swim, some we'd walk around and take a few pictures. Memorable day.

ps...I have no affiliation with Bermuda Rentals web site. All in all, this cost about 10 to 15% more than a cruise but gave us seven full days in Bermuda!

Edited by Paul from Maryland

Just figured our expenses, and rough estimate if we had cruised. Our BB was 1700.00 our flight was 1650.00 and we usually plan on 100.00 per day expenses. Cruise would have been 1000.00 more.

We hope to have a marvelous time with 7 days on Bermuda.

Marcia

I think I would prefer the 3 day pass, but they don't take cash? How do you pay for that? And is it for the bus ? I do want to take the ferry 1 day also. Thanks in advance for help!

They DO take cash for the 3 day pass and it has always been cash only for it. You can use it on both the ferries and buses.

You will find a lot of reviews and questions on the forum about bus fare. I will give you my recommendation. We just got back from Bermuda after a week of cruise on Celebrity Summit.

First of all, if you want easy, buy the 3-day pass at $35 per person. You don’t ever have to think or plan. But, if you want to save money, or if you are like me (being an engineer, I take it as my personal mission to figure out the most efficient and cost-effective method to do anything), I have some tips for you.

Good post about how to do the paper tickets. I have thought of doing this each trip, but I always end up buying the day passes because we tend to change our minds/get lost.

I think I would do it on a trip without the kids. I meant to do it this time, but we took a 6 hour island tour and somehow, the guide decided to skip Hamilton completely. Maybe next time.

Where in Hamilton did you buy the tickets?

Tickets and tokens are the same for both bus and ferry. Bus gives out transfer, but ferry doesn't, nor will it accept transfer from bus. Like the bus transfer in US, it only works if you are going to the same direction and within a limited time window. In other words, if you are taking a bus from dock yard to Hamilton, you can get a free transfer to use on a bus from Hamilton to St. George, assuming you get on the 2nd bus within 30 minutes of getting off the 1st bus, but you won't be able to use the transfer for a bus trip back from Hamilton to dock yard.

The main idea is that the paper tickets are so much cheaper than token. For adult, it's $2 per ride vs. $4 for token; for child, it's 50cents per ride vs. $2.50 for token. So the goal is to get yourself to Hamilton ASAP and buy the tickets to use for the rest of your stay.

Where in Hamilton did you buy the tickets?

You can get them at the Perot Post Office which is on Queen St. around the corner from the ferry terminal. Also, at the bus terminal which you will have to go to anyway. That will be a walk of a few more blocks on Church St.