Explorer cruise director

It will be the wonderful Leigh Xuereb!

Actually Erky became the cruise director today and will be in the position until he leaves before drydock. He is completing his required flight hours prior to going to Europe to study for his commercial pilot's license. Good luck Erky!

Info is on Erky's FB page.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

Actually Erky became the cruise director today and will be in the position until he leaves before drydock. He is completing his required flight hours prior to going to Europe to study for his commercial pilot's license. Good luck Erky!

I spoke with Erky on our NYE Explorer Cruise -he told me he was leaving in February - does this mean he is staying?

I spoke with Erky on our NYE Explorer Cruise -he told me he was leaving in February - does this mean he is staying?

No, he leaves the end of Feb. Staying here locally for a few weeks to get more flight time then off to Europe.

I'll be in the 2/26 sailing. How do I find out who the cruise director is? And what all does a cd do? I've only been on one cruise and all I remember her doing is morning announcements.

The Cruise Director is responsible for all the entertainment on the ship. Several key folks are leaving Explorer just before she heads to drydock so no telling what it will be like.

Hmmm... the info I have is that Erky is only in the position for this sailing because Leigh is attending a CD conference at corporate along with other CD's (a lot of ships have the activities manager stepping up this week to fill-in while the CD attends the conference). Leigh is supposed to be returning for the next sailing, unless his plans changed very recently.

Edited by DonnaK

Hmmm... Leigh is supposed to be returning for the next sailing, unless his plans changed very recently.

What I said is factually correct. I believe Erky gets off Explorer the day Leigh gets back. I just checked my calendar as I thought it was the end of the month - my apologies to the OP.

This is a fitting finale to a great career with RCI to be the CD when he leaves :) We are very proud of his accomplishments and his rapid progress to becoming a commercial pilot!

Edited by Scotty G
clarify and apology!

We just got off the Explorer of the Seas last week...Leigh was EXCELLENT!!!! Been many years since I cruised but he certainly made the trip memorable. He's everywhere, he's hilarious, and he's very talented. Erky was wonderful also, and will be missed!

Edited by sandyjoe827

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I go on explorer in June. Do we know who the CD will be then? Is Leigh the se CD on it in June 2012 thin guy with dark hair? (If so he was great). PS. New to cruise critic so hello everyone.

When the ship comes out of drydock on April 24, the cruise director is expected to be Mercedes Lafuente. Generally cruise directors have 4 month contracts and that would mean that Mercedes would be the CD in June. Leigh has been assigned as the CD on Indy as far as is known.

Hmm,

I spoke to Leigh last week and asked him who would be taking over as CD as we're back on Ex in May, he told me the guy's name, but sadly, I can't remember.

I distinctly remember him saying we were in for a treat as he was a 'scoucer', suggesting he is from Liverpool England.

Of course Leigh could have got it wrong

Tanya the Activities Manager, will be staying on until June.