Liquor store in Vancouver pre cruise

lorri111

Hi, looking for somewhere to pick up our 2 bottles before cruising from Vancouver to Alaska, near Fairmont Waterfront hotel. We get in from train latish Fri afternoon and embark on cruise Sat so hopefully somewhere open Fri evenings as our time is limited. I have heard that alcohol is comparatively expensive in Canada, is this so?

Not quite - Harbour Centre BC Liquor is a 'regular store' whereas the one xlxo suggested has a wider selection and (generally) more knowledgeable staff, hence it's Signature status.

That said, if you're happy with relatively mainstream products you won't have a problem finding them in the closer Harbour Centre store. If there's a particular wine you have in mind, search the BC Liquor website - it'll tell you whether they list a product, and if they have any you can search by postal code V6C 3T4 and the nearest stores stock levels will pop up.

If you do want something really obscure you might need to go to a private store - biggest/best downtown is probably Legacy in athlete's village.

Yes, we're relatively pricey on booze here in BC but the magic word is 'relative' - depending what local Sin Taxes you have in your home area we might seem modestly priced to ludicrously overpriced!

Is this the same place as a BC Liquor Store I see listed in Harbour Place? (can't get my head around the map or the number of stores in area)
The Harbour Lookout location is closer, but also closes at 6pm. It does open at 10am the next morning.

The Signature store is open 9:30am til 11pm. I thought it works better for your train schedule and dinner convenience.

Liquor in Canada is higher than in the USA. However give yourself a 30% discount on the price tag as the local currency has collapsed.

Edited by xlxo

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that. We are keen to try a local BC sparkling to take on board so will see what we can find. I guess everything is relative anyway when it comes to 'expensive' but we are on holiday after all!

Here are the 3 highest rated sparkling wines from BC. They are available at both the signature store on Bute and the store at Harbour center.

$21.49 STELLERS JAY- BRUT

The white peach and golden hues of this bubbly flatter the orchard fruit and ripe strawberry aromas. Flavours of toasted nut, red berries and stone fruits linger with a soft and creamy mousse.

$19.99 SEE YA LATER RANCH - SYL BRUT

This sparkling wine offers a delicate toast, melon and orchard fruit bouquet. it is lively, crisp and clean on the palate, with toasty oak notes leading to creamy orchard fruit and citrus flavours. with a lively refreshing acidity and sweet honey finish it balances the spicy chorizo.

$23.49 SUMMERHILL - CIPES BRUT

Made in the traditional method with a distinctly Okanagan style from Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc, Cipes Brut was awarded 'Best Sparkling Wine of the Year" at the 2014 All Canadian Wine Championships

Edited by lamchops

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the 3 highest rated sparkling wines from BC. They are available at both the signature store on Bute and the store at Harbour center.

This sparkling wine offers a delicate toast, melon and orchard fruit bouquet. it is lively, crisp and clean on the palate, with toasty oak notes leading to creamy orchard fruit and citrus flavours. with a lively refreshing acidity and sweet honey finish it balances the spicy chorizo.

I'm not keen on sparkling but See Ya Later is an excellent winery and the SYL Brut is no exception. I also enjoy SYL's "Rover" (Shiraz Viognier). I would also recommend the reds from Tinhorn Creek (Oldfield Merlot and Oldfield 2 Bench Red), Kraze Legz (very small operation, may not be able to find it outside of the Okanagan) and Church & State. C&S Quintessential is expensive but a fantastic red.

Canadian Ice Wine is also a fantastic product because the conditions allow it to be made consistently. If you can get your hands on a bottle, the "Shhh..." Merlot ice wine from Kraze Legz is great. Same goes for the Gehringer Bro's Cab Franc ice wine.

Look for the BC VQA label.

• 2 weeks later...

As we are flying in the same morning that we are sailing does anyone know if the taxi would stop for us to pick up our wine at Liquor Store near Canada Place? As it is Sunday believe that it opens at 930. And how much do you think the taxi rate is from air port to Canada Place? Many Thanks....:):)

Yes, the cabbie will stop to let you go to a liquor store however the meter will be running. If its a flat rate trip he may just accept and nice cash tip. The store at Habour Centre near Canada Place would not be a good bet as there is no convenient parking. He will either take you to the new store at 70th & Granville or the one just north of 41st on Cambie St, s both have convenient free parking. The other alternative is to have him drop you and your luggage off at Canada Place, you give your luggage to the porter and then walk over to the Harbour Centre store. There is a private liquor store at YVR but you will pay.

+1 to what PD said, except to note that there is a specific 'stops en route' factor built into the Flat rate charger system. One stop, as long as it is not more than five minutes, adds $5 to the $35 fare from YVR to the pier. If you have a specific wine in mind, or a varietal/style/price range, just asking the first BC Liquor employee you see to point you to the wine/suggest something in your category should have you in and out well under the five min limit.

If you want to browse, I'd suggest sticking with PDs other suggestion of going to the pier, dropping luggage, then walking the few hundred yards to the liquor store at Harbour Centre (or if you can actually manage your suitcases plus a couple of bottles of wine, save a few bucks by getting a cab to the Delta Hotel - $31 instead of $35 - then walking via the liquor store to the pier).

When I was in Harbour Center the other day it shows that store being closed on Sundays and that the nearest store is Alberni and Bute would be open. I thought all of the downtown gov't store were opening on Sundays or is it a seasonal thing.

Cheers!

Dennis

When I was in Harbour Center the other day it shows that store being closed on Sundays and that the nearest store is Alberni and Bute would be open. I thought all of the downtown gov't store were opening on Sundays or is it a seasonal thing.

Cheers!

Dennis

Good catch Ut, I thought it was open on Sundays as well but just checked their website and found that isn't the case. Maybe they will open during the cruise season but there is no indication of that...in fact it shows as being closed for Victoria Day. I still can't get used of our little store here in Sechelt being open on Sundays and so far I have avoided the temptation to visit it.

As we are flying in the same morning that we are sailing does anyone know if the taxi would stop for us to pick up our wine at Liquor Store near Canada Place? As it is Sunday believe that it opens at 930. And how much do you think the taxi rate is from air port to Canada Place? Many Thanks....:):)

As you will see above, the Harbour Centre store is closed on Sunday so that is not an option for you. I would have the cabbie stop at either of the other two stores I have mentioned. The 41st and Cambie Store is larger and will have more listings, however you will likely find everything you need for the 'ready use locker' at the 70th & Granville store.

Thanks for all the help,I did look up and saw where the mall store was closed on Sunday and seen where the Bute store was close but maybe these other ones are closer,think we just might take luggage than walk back if all goes well. Thanks a million for help cc are the best.:):)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be staying at the Westin Grand pre-cruise and would like to buy two bottles of either a good (dry) sparkling or champagne to take on board. Is there a liquor store convenient to that hotel where I could pick up the wine either Thursday or Saturday?

Thanks!

I like going to the BC liquor stores for savings... you have two choices, both locations are about the same 10 minutes walk to get there from your hotel location.

• Harbour Centre is to the North. closes at 6pm.
  • Yaletown is to the South. closes at 11pm on Saturdays

I recommend looking at your Saturday activities to decide which one to go to. Harbour centre if you plan to be visiting Gastown or the shuttles to Grouse/Capilano. Yaletown if you plan to be having dinner in that area.

I will be staying at the Westin Grand pre-cruise and would like to buy two bottles of either a good (dry) sparkling or champagne to take on board. Is there a liquor store convenient to that hotel where I could pick up the wine either Thursday or Saturday?

Thanks!

While I concur with xlxo that you'll get better prices at the BC Liquors mentioned, I feel obliged to mention that there's a private liquor store under your hotel in case the convenience merits the extra pricing! Jimmys is small, has markups about 20% over BCLS pricing, but on more than one occasion when we lived across the street from the Westin we were just feeling too dang lazy to walk any further!

Thanks!

Depending what you are doing in Vancouver, here is a map showing the 3 BC Liquor Stores in fairly close proximity to the Westin Grand.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/The+Westin+Grand,+Vancouver,+Robson+Street,+Vancouver,+BC/BC+Liquor+Stores,+West+Hastings+Street,+Vancouver,+BC/BC+Liquor+Stores,+Bute+Street,+Vancouver,+BC/BC+Liquor+Stores,+Yaletown,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2815372,-123.1287304,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486717e6414b5eb:0x90eab125da5b84c0!2m2!1d-123.1170558!2d49.2798085!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486717860aced7d:0xf332138ecfb95aa8!2m2!1d-123.1119559!2d49.2847526!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867180c6ae1a83:0x5ad67f5ccb8fd956!2m2!1d-123.1257327!2d49.286295!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673d707df6941:0xa37a169f1842be6a!2m2!1d-123.1196598!2d49.274241!3e2

$21.49 STELLERS JAY- BRUT

The white peach and golden hues of this bubbly flatter the orchard fruit and ripe strawberry aromas. Flavours of toasted nut, red berries and stone fruits linger with a soft and creamy mousse.

$23.49 SUMMERHILL - CIPES BRUT

Made in the traditional method with a distinctly Okanagan style from Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc, Cipes Brut was awarded 'Best Sparkling Wine of the Year" at the 2014 All Canadian Wine Championships

Thanks for posting this. Champagne or sparkling wine is what I plan to purchase.