Excursion advice: Mahogany Bay?

younghoneymooners17

I will be sailing with Carnival in October and am currently researching excursions. What's the best to do in Mahogany Bay? We'd really like to find a nice beach day. Is this a good port to go out on your own and find a beach or should be preplan that? Thought about doing the Gumbalimba & Tabyana Beach Day because we are animal lovers and based on the reviews, the animals aren't in captivity like a zoo. Please give me any advice you can! I am afraid of booking an excursion through an outside vendor because I have a big fear of being left by the ship.

I hear your concerns about being left behind, but if you book an excursion with Victor Bodden, Rony's Tours, or Daniel Johnson, you won't be left behind and they can arrange for you to go to a good beach on West Bay or other places and also see animals. DJ has sloths and is near the iguana farm.

Also you can look up Little French Kay on this board and book a day with them. Good snorkeling out from the beach and less crowded than West Bay beaches.

Or, if you are simply excursioned out, at Mahogany Bay, there's a "free" beach, loungers, places for food and drink. A little snorkeling out toward the long pier by the breakwater, but not really good. shallow sandy bottom on most of the beach.

We've booked a private tour with Rony's Tours. There will be four of us and we plan on the following:

Visit Daniel Johnsons Sloth Sanctuary

Eat at a local restaurant

Walk around West End, shop/eat/drink

Maybe spend a little time at the beach.

Great price and looking forward to our driver's expert opinion on things to do and see!! We are going to kind of wing it!

• 1 month later...

Go to Daniel Johnsons. One of the best excursions I've ever been. The communication to set up is a little "loose" as was just a facebook messenger coordination, but it was great. Got a tour of the island and history on way there. Seems like his relatives work for him. It rained all day, and we had the snorkeling also booked. No one else wanted to go, and we ended up having a private 1 hour snorkeling with 2 locals, and then on way back to the ship, the driver (his aunt) dropped us off at a resort to have a monkey lala drink. It was like a personal excursion day for $45 pp. Was able to interact with monkeys and was really fun. Very grateful, nice local people who love their animals. Highly recommend it.