Do we need local currencies?

Turtles06

I'm not someone who travels abroad and expects everyone to speak English or take American dollars. :)

But we will be leaving in a month for our first Panama Canal transit, and given that we'll only have a day (or less) in four foreign countries that use four different currencies, I'm wondering based on the experience of others whether we need to have some local currency with us just for incidentals.

Here's where we'll be: 1/2 day in Cartagena, Colombia (doing a private tour), a day in Puntarenas, Costa Rica (also doing a private tour), a day in Corinto, Nicaragua (doing a ship's tour), and a day in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (where we will be taking the ship's transport to Antigua and then will be on our own for several hours).

The private tour guides have asked to be paid in US dollars, and of course the ship's tours will be paid on board. For the various incidentals that we might purchase in these ports (food, souvenirs), will US dollars be accepted? (I'm also happy to use a credit card and be charged in the local currency.) I'd like to avoid the large fees for purchasing relatively small amounts of currency if we really don't need to. (Same for trying to find ATMs in these places, especially during a tour.)

Thanks for any advice!

We've been to all of those places.

You'll be perfectly fine taking US Dollars with you ... they are happily accepted.

Best to take smaller bills (lots of 1's & 5's and nothing larger than a $20) so you can pay the exact amount without requiring change.

The purser's desk (Guest Services) will break down your larger bills. We take $100's and get them broken down on the ship as needed to take on port stops with us.

Look forward to having a great cruise! :)

They prefer you not use a credit card actually, they pay really, really high fees for credit cards so often you get a better price if you pay in cash. Everywhere pretty much they take US dollars. I am Canadian and I take US dollars with me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ditto to what everyone else said, just want to add on how to spot Panamanian currency while you are in Panama. While you are still here in the States, go to your wallet and look at all the bills you have... ones, fives, etc. there is your Panamanian currency! While Panama calls the unit of currency the "Balboa", it really is the Geo Washington! Panama has no paper currency of its own and the US Dollar is the only paper money. Panama does issue coins, not to worry here as they are the same shape, size and denomination as US coins. They will have a different appearance but they are interchangeable and work in vending machines in the same manner. However, if you mistakenly give one of those coins to a store clerk when you return to the States, you are most certainly guaranteed to get a strange look!

So, all the ports you are visiting also accept Panamanian money as well;):D!

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I'll be visiting my bank for nice, crisp, small denomination bills. (Harder to get than it should be. I had to do this for a trip to China, and my bank actually had to "order" new bills!)

Bill -- thanks for the interesting info on Panamanian currency. I knew it was pegged to the U.S. dollar, but didn't realize the bills were actually U.S. bills! (We have no port calls in Panama. I know you don't recommend that, and it would have been nice to have one, but this itinerary, and, most especially, my dream cabin for the transit [a forward facing balcony in the bow right under the bridge], won out. But don't worry, I won't be on our balcony for the entire transit. You have all given me great advice about different perspectives. :) )