Bus to Coki Beach in St. Thomas on Norwegian Getaway? Help!

Ok. I tried writing in the ports section on Cruise Critic, but I did not get any help. Has anyone taken a bus from St. Thomas cruise port to Coki Beach? I understand I can take a taxi for 10 dollars but as a family that can add up. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you. Do you have any experience with the safari bus?

We have used the safari bus many, many times while staying on the island. This is the transportation that locals use to and from work, etc., which is why it is such an inexpensive rate. However, you need to beware that if you look like a cruise ship passenger, often the drivers will try to charge you a higher fare. This happened to us, and we argued "One dollar! One dollar!" and only held out that much, and finally he took it. Also, the $1 rate is if going halfway down the island. It's $2 if going the full length. We had much better luck getting the $1 rate during days when no cruise ships were in port!

You will still have about a 15 minute walk when you get off the safari bus to get to the beach. To be honest, I would not use it as part of a cruise because it's not completely reliable and predictable. I'd be afraid of getting stranded, but that's just me.

This is some good info I found online that sort of explains the route:

"'Dollar Rides' or 'Dollar Taxis' There are taxi drivers that run 'dollar rides' in safari buses. A safari is a truck that has been outfitted with bench seating in the back. It is open air but covered. Not all safari buses are ‘dollar rides’, some are regular taxis. The ‘dollar rides’ do not have signs identifying them as such; however they generally run the same route as the public bus and pull in or close to bus stops. If in doubt ask the driver before boarding. Also ask where they are heading to make sure they are going the route you want to go. They are for the most part un-regulated, and operate mostly to assist with the transportation needs of residents. Some 'dollar ride' drivers charge non-residents regular taxi rates.

For visitors, using the dollar bus can be tricky. Remember, the route follows a figure 8 pattern.

Beginning at the West End of the island, at the university of the Virgin Islands on St Thomas, the safari buses travel along the main waterfront highway past Crownbay Cruise Ship Dock, Subbase, Frenchtown and along the waterfront shopping district.

There is a bus stop at the Vendor's Plaza and then the bus will wind along backroads past the High School, The Sugar Estate Post Office and the Hospital then it will pass the Pizza Hut and McDonalds and drive up the Raphune Hill stopping in the Cost U Less Shopping Center and the Caribbean Cinemas Market Place.

From there, the buses drive towards Fort Mylner stopping again in Tutu at the Tutu Park Mall in front of the main entrance to the Big K K-Mart Store. Then, the buses make a loop first driving North through Tutu and then turning east going over the top of Cassi Hill, down through Smith Bay passing the turn off for Coki Beach and Coral World, past the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort, Point Pleasant Resort, Sapphire Beach Resort and finally stopping briefly to pick up more passengers at the Ferry Terminal in Red Hook at the very eastern end of St Thomas opposite the Marina Market Grocery Store.

The buses will continue through Red Hook passing Eudora Kean High School on the right and bearing to the right after passing the Dominican Fruit Stands and then traveling up Route 32 passing the National Guard Armory on the right.

At the top of that hill is the east end of the island's only stop light at an intersection, dangerous because it peaks at a blind spot coming from both directions.

Thru the light and driving down the hill, the taxis pass the Domino's gas station and the Food Center on the right winding for about a mile with marinas on the left.

Virgin Islands Ecotours marina is the final stop before leaving the Mangrove Lagoon area and then entering an industrial area of a road with concrete and rock quarries.

At the next intersection with a four way stop light, the safari buses turns right and returns to the K-mart at the Tutu Park Mall.

Any passenger originating from the ferry dock, Red hook, the marinas or Virgin Islands Ecotours, and wanting to return to Wyndham Sugar Bay, Point Pleasant or Sapphire Beach on the North East Road must disembark at the K-Mart and pay the taxi the $1 and then wait for another safari bus that is returning east to "the country" (towards Red Hook).

Otherwise, riders remain on the taxi and continue on towards Havensite turning right at the Wendy's and then driving into and thru Charlotte Amalie, then passing Frenchtown, Crown Bay, the Airport and continuing onward towards the University of the Virgin Islands.

At any point along this route, the passengers need only flag their hand to the driver of a safari bus and the bus will stop long enough to get on and then will continue on this figure 8 route. When the passenger wishes to depart the bus, a door bell should be reachable that will alert the driver to stop. If one cannot find the door bell, it is customary to pound your foot on the floor of the bus a few times so that they know to stop. Immediately upon stopping, go straight to the window of the driver to pay him the dollar bill. Inflation has hit, so if you cross over the K-Mart area in Tutu, one is expected to pay $2, but if only the one loop is traversed, then only a single dollar needs to be paid."

And by the way, JustMe, the snorkeling was great! They gave us a few big Milkbone dog biscuits, which we broke into little pieces and fed the fish with. They'd absolutely swarm you when you do that, my BF even got bit by a fish trying to be the first one to the treat. I learned to hide the biscuit in my hand as the fish would come up and try to eat it while I was holding it! There were so many fish that a lot of people were just standing in the water watching the fish swim around them. Get there early to get a choice seat. Food was pretty good, and the drinks were strong. Beautiful beach. Have a great time!

472A9505-D3FE-49E4-A68B-4EDE7A83843D_zpspdv2rocx.jpg

Edited by 3dogsrule

To those that have been there recently...some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were a bit disturbing about Coki beach. We will be on the GA in a few days and hoped to try out Coki beach for the snorkeling , but after reading TA I'm a bit nervous. Any thoughts?

• 11 months later...
Couldn't resist sharing a few more pix!

d3b00f68-cbd5-4bc6-bcf4-2d3527cc3d24_zpsb3c39ea3.jpg

fb7346b7-e0d5-48c9-9968-6bf0418b477e_zps95da0cce.jpg

548fe330-fbfa-4548-af82-3f1301714524_zpsb62f19dc.jpg

My BF being swarmed...

25627bc7-4056-41d3-8300-edf4518ff395_zps5e6d339b.jpg

Karen, these are great pics!!! May I ask what kind of camera? My last underwater ones were ok,,,not great , with just a standard underwater drug store camera,,, thx!!!