Bilbao, Spain

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50013322&postcount=370 for information on viewing my video showing the highlights of our visit to Bilbao, Spain. This city on the Bay of Biscay in northern Spain was a delightful surprise on our transatlantic cruise in April, 2016. This city only receives 50 cruise ships per year, which is a real shame because this wonderful city has lots to offer. There is more to see here than in the other northern Spain port of Vigo.

Thanks for posting those beautiful photos! We've got an overnight cruise stop there this summer, and I have not found very much information on what to do there. Thanks to your photos, I can see that we can definitely fill 2 days in the area. Did you spend one the day in the port area? That looks like a lovely place to spend some time.

Thanks for posting those beautiful photos! We've got an overnight cruise stop there this summer, and I have not found very much information on what to do there. Thanks to your photos, I can see that we can definitely fill 2 days in the area. Did you spend one the day in the port area? That looks like a lovely place to spend some time.

Thank you so much for a wonderful pictoral review of Biblao.

I will be there in July. Cannot wait.

Bilbao is a real sleeper! We only had one day in port, but there is easily enough to occupy two days. There are some beautiful and interesting places along the coast including San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (Hermitage of John the Baptist) that requires a private guide or rental car to visit. The old section of Bilbao is really nice and can be done on foot. Princess provided a shuttle bus to downtown, which is quite a ways from the port in Getxo. The Hanging Bridge is really amazing and we enjoyed wandering through the narrow "streets" of the old fishing village of Algorta in Getxo. Both of these places are easier seen with a private guide or your own transportation. I would certainly like to go back to Bilbao again one of these days. Have a great time!

Ron

• 1 year later...