Options for non potty trained 3 year old

LMel83

This is my first time posting. My husband and i are very seasoned cruisers but this December will be our first time cruising Disney CL since we now have two small children. We're very excited about it! My oldest son just turned 3 and although we are trying very hard and hoping he will be potty trained in time for the cruise so that he can go to the Oceaneers club, i'm a little skeptical he will be completely trained enough to go without pull ups. I've read other threads on here that have said that they will absolutely not take children in pull ups, so i was wondering what my options will be for him if he isn't fully potty trained by then. Are non trained children allowed to enter the club to play if they are with a parent? I'll just feel so bad for him if he doesn't get to play in there at all, and i'm worried about how to keep him entertained for 7 whole days without being able to use the club! We only "need" to leave him for one night of the cruise because we'd like to have a night of adult only dining in one of the specialty restaurants. If we make a reservation with the nursery is that allowed since he's over 36 months? We have a younger son that will be almost 12 months at the time of the cruise that we plan to place in the nursery, so i'm wondering if i should just make the reservation for them both? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated thanks!

We are in the same boat (pun intended). We're sailing in Nov and my daughter turns 3 this month. We're obviously hard at work on the potty training thing but can't bet on it. I'd like to hear from others who have personal experience but here's what I've done so far.

1) There are "open house" times for the Lab where parents and kids can come explore. This would be the chance to let the non-potty trained kids play in the kids area.

2) For the few hours we booked Palo reservations I went ahead and signed up for nursery time.

3) There are a few PJ party times when they let kids wear pull ups. We're hoping to also take advantage of these times.

This is my first time posting. My husband and i are very seasoned cruisers but this December will be our first time cruising Disney CL since we now have two small children. We're very excited about it! My oldest son just turned 3 and although we are trying very hard and hoping he will be potty trained in time for the cruise so that he can go to the Oceaneers club, i'm a little skeptical he will be completely trained enough to go without pull ups. I've read other threads on here that have said that they will absolutely not take children in pull ups, so i was wondering what my options will be for him if he isn't fully potty trained by then. Are non trained children allowed to enter the club to play if they are with a parent? I'll just feel so bad for him if he doesn't get to play in there at all, and i'm worried about how to keep him entertained for 7 whole days without being able to use the club! We only "need" to leave him for one night of the cruise because we'd like to have a night of adult only dining in one of the specialty restaurants. If we make a reservation with the nursery is that allowed since he's over 36 months? We have a younger son that will be almost 12 months at the time of the cruise that we plan to place in the nursery, so i'm wondering if i should just make the reservation for them both? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated thanks!

You can book both into the nursery. I'm not sure of the rate if there are two children, though. I think you can bring him in the kids club during "open house" hours under your supervision. I wouldn't worry about it. You can book into the nursery on the night you want to have dinner - no problem.

Here's the cost for the nursery:

Prices for It's A Small World Nursery

It's A Small World Nursery is available at an additional charge.

•$9.00 per hour for first child

•$8.00 per hour for second child in the same family

Cancellations may be made without penalty up to 4 hours in advance of reservation.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/fantasy/youth-clubs/its-a-small-world-nursery/

A 3 year old can be in either the nursery or Oceaneer's Club/Lab (can utilize both spaces). But you must book nursery hours.

Open House hours in Oceaneer's allow an adult/parent to take children of any age into the Club to play.

If a child is aged 3, they can wear pull ups to the club. For a child under age 3 to be considered (because they are outside the standard published age for the club), they must be fully potty trained.

Your 3 year old can go to the club. You will be responsible for checking on him and changing him. The CMs can not help him to the bathroom or change him.

I read on another post on here that sometimes they will allow them into the club with pull ups if we agree to change him (which we would), but it depends on which CM checks you in and how flexible they want to be. I have a friend who sailed last year on a different ship and their child in pull ups was turned away. Unless maybe they've changed the policy in the last year or had different rules for the club on that boat (Magic i believe?)? I just don't want to count on it and get turned away the day of

Thank you for your answers! Does anyone happen to know what the open house hours are? Are they often throughout the cruise or just a few hours here or there?

They are generally 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day in either the Club or Lab. When one side is having Open House, the other side is in secured programming. You can look at past Navigators here to see when the Open Houses were for an idea:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

They are generally 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day in either the Club or Lab. When one side is having Open House, the other side is in secured programming. You can look at past Navigators here to see when the Open Houses were for an idea:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

Thank you for all of the info! Helped a lot!

Try the M&M method. It worked for both of my sons.

Get a big bag of M&Ms. Every time that your son goes in the potty and can prove it (they get sneaky) give him a handfull of M&Ms. Repeat until he's nearly 100%.

Now wean him off of the M&Ms (good luck)

Reese's Pieces can be used but there's something in M&Ms that helps in the process.

Try the M&M method. It worked for both of my sons.

Get a big bag of M&Ms. Every time that your son goes in the potty and can prove it (they get sneaky) give him a handfull of M&Ms. Repeat until he's nearly 100%.

Now wean him off of the M&Ms (good luck)

Reese's Pieces can be used but there's something in M&Ms that helps in the process.

You could also try more TV time or use of their favorite game app on a smartphone or tablet if you prefer to not to give a 3 year old chocolate in their diet?

ex techie

We took our 3 year old on the Wonder and she refused to be potty trained. They let us check her in as long as we regularly checked on her and they would call us if she went and we would come right over and change her. We found after a couple days she was done being in the club. I think she was too young and really needed one on one attention to stay. It was spring break and the clubs were very busy so we had no expectations.

The next cruise she did great and loved the club. Plus she was potty trained so we had a much better experience. (We also had a 4 month old on the first cruise and didn't sleep well so that was a major factor). On the second cruise our son just turned 2 and our daughter was almost 5.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This may sound like an "interesting" parenting choice, but we kind of bribed our soon-to-be three year old with a Disney cruise. I explained that if she was potty trained by the time we went on the boat, she would be able to play with the big kids. If not, she would have to go with the babies. Then, I sat her in front of the computer and we watched the long commercial-like video on the Disney Cruise website 3-4 times per day. It actually worked very quickly! (This was after 6 months of trying to potty train.) You could also print out pictures of the fun rooms at the of the kids club and put them in the bathroom?

Good luck!