Buying Rubles in St. Petersburg

bobthek

I cannot help with the rubles purchase, but we spent three days in St. Petersburg without having to use any rubles. Dollars, Euros, and credit cards are fine except in some of the smallest shops in a few place. As far as dollars, be sure to have clean, unmarked or torn ones. Those are not accepted.

Remember that rubles are not usable anywhere else outside Russia.

We bought rubles from an ATM in the Hermitage and at Catherine's Palace. There was also an exchange office in Catherine's Palace.

We ate lunch in the cafeterias in both venues, quick and convenient but that's about all I would say.

The rubles we had left over were used as part of the driver's tip

Dollars and Euros were widely accepted for souvenirs and guidebooks.

Agreed that you likely won't need them. But then again it is dependent upon what you are doing and what your guide is willing to do for you.

On our private tour, on the first evening, at the last minute we decided to stop at a local "pie" shop prior to going to the theater to watch a ballet performance. The guide told us in advance that the shop, since it didn't cater to tourists, did not accept US dollars. However, as we had made the decision to go to the pie shop while we were at our last sight for the day, the Church of the Spilled Blood, there was an ATM there that we were able to use to get rubles. Most of the major tourists sights in St. Petersburg all have ATMs.

Getting the rubles was worth it as the pie shop was AMAZING! The pies were DELICIOUS.

The guide told us in advance approximately how much stuff at the pie shop costs, so we were able to estimate how much we should take from the ATM. We did have left over rubles, but were able to use them all the next day when we went shopping at Northway.

Remember, it is technically illegal to take rubles outside of Russia. Although, its not like there's anyone checking your pockets when you board the ship.

Remember, it is technically illegal to take rubles outside of Russia.

I have read several comments saying this and I must say it surprises me. I had no problem getting Rubles before leaving London. I just went to a currency exchange office and they got me 5,000 Rubles within 2 hours of my request (for 100GBP). Perhaps it is different in the US, but I don't understand why. I also had no problem changing back the small amount of Rubles I had left over when I returned to London.

The rate I got for cash was almost identical to that charged on my credit card for other purchases in Rubles.

By the way, I think the pie shop you went to was "Stolle". We also tried it and I agree it was excellent and very reasonably priced!

Andrew.

I have read several comments saying this and I must say it surprises me. I had no problem getting Rubles before leaving London. I just went to a currency exchange office and they got me 5,000 Rubles within 2 hours of my request (for 100GBP). Perhaps it is different in the US, but I don't understand why. I also had no problem changing back the small amount of Rubles I had left over when I returned to London.

As I understand it, taking rubles out of Russia is illegal per Russian law. Of course that doesnt me it doesnt happen. FWIW I think they arent technically supposed to accept anything other than Rubles for payment in Russia. (though again, you should have no problem doing this.)

As I understand it, taking rubles out of Russia is illegal per Russian law. Of course that doesnt me it doesnt happen. FWIW I think they arent technically supposed to accept anything other than Rubles for payment in Russia. (though again, you should have no problem doing this.)

The guide books used to say the Ruble was restricted to Russia but since last year the Ruble has been a fully convertible currency bought and sold in currency trading worldwide now. You can take them out of the country. The only legal business currency is the Ruble in Russia, just like in all countries that have national currencies. As a local I know that shops which will take the risk of tax law problems by using foreign currency are usually not good bargains.

It is so easy to get Rubles, you do not even have to show your passport anymore to exchange in a bank, plus there are ATMs everywhere and even money exchange machines.

• 3 weeks later...

We used a Forex exchange office just down the street from Stockman's Dept. store in Helsinki to get a few roubles before sailing to St. Petersburg. Very handy to have a few. No problems taking roubles out of Russia.

Of course that doesnt me it doesnt happen. FWIW I think they arent technically supposed to accept anything other than Rubles for payment in Russia. (though again, you should have no problem doing this.)

I spent 2 weeks in Russia this summer.

Street vendors will take any currency (or most of them such as Euros, Dollars and Rubles). Any real store only took Rubles as that is the only currency by law that they are allowed to take.

If you are going to use your credit card, make sure you call them in advance and tell them where you will be.

Archived