Fjords

panda24

We are trying to decide between a Norway cruise and a South American that does the Chilean Fjords. How do they compare? We've done Alaska and enjoyed it, but wanted to explore elsewhere.

It seems Norway has more waterfalls than Alaska. However, South America seems to have glaciers, waterfalls, and penguins.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Having done both, for sheer beauty I would say the fjords in Norway but for variety of experience (including beauty such as the Beagle Channel) I would say South America. Just my humble opinion.:)

We are trying to decide between a Norway cruise and a South American that does the Chilean Fjords. How do they compare? We've done Alaska and enjoyed it, but wanted to explore elsewhere.

It seems Norway has more waterfalls than Alaska. However, South America seems to have glaciers, waterfalls, and penguins.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Loved Norway!! Can't wait to go to South America in January!! Going to Alaska for the third time this summer and have also visited the fjords of New Zealand. Fjords are beautiful in general. I don't think there is a right answer to your question. Norway is much further from Los Angeles than South America. Perhaps that issue alone will decide for you.

that the first is the best and as with all opinions, it is just that. But in my very humble opinion, the Chilean Fjords hold a slight advantage. You will undoubtedly round the "Horn" which is very special...although going around the Nordkap is also....hmmm? We were on a small ship in Chile that had Zodiacs for exploring which may have added to the splendor and excitement. To be zipping around a fjord in the dead silence is magical. In Norway we were on the Hutigruten which did not do anything close to that...but maybe you would? That can make a difference and I'm not sure if I would feel the same about the Chilean Fjords if I had first experienced them on a big ship. You may feel as I do about these decisions, how lucky are we to be able to choose? You will enjoy either and someday will do the other & make your own comparison. So many beautiful places..... Which ever one you choose, enjoy!

We have done Around the Horn and a cruise that included two ports in Norway. Unfortunately, due to a hurricane, our stop in Alesund, Norway was cancelled. Still, we saw Bergen, which was awesome.

My sense is that in Norway, you will find more of the mountain scenery where the mountains seems to just right out of the ocean.

The South American experience is fantastic, going around Cape Horn, visiting those ports in the south and the Chilean Fjords were awesome.

Yes, SA has the penguins as well.

It is a tough choice, but like Yogi Berra said, when you get to a fork in the road, take it.

Just do them both.

We have done both and they are two of our favorite cruises ever. I agree with the poster who said for sheer beauty of the fjords Norway gets the nod but South America has a wider variety of experiences. Also, much depends on the specific itinerary. All of Norway's fjords are not created equal.

Distance is not as much of an issue as some might suppose. You don't mention where the cruises you are thinking about originate, so I will use our cruises as an example. We sailed from Valpo, Chile and Southampton, UK. We flew into Santiago and London. Its actually about 100 air miles further from LA to Santiago than LA to London-Heathrow. Chile is a looong way south.

Look at where you will be stopping along the way with both cruises and what you will enjoy doing. Penguin watching and tango dancing in South America? Slowly cruising into and out of fjords with rugged cliffs on either side of you with too many waterfalls to count and an excursion train into the mountains through post card perfect lush valleys and quaint villages in Norway.

Or just toss a coin. You can't lose.