Golf in Bermuda

jennyfromtheculdesac

Anyone golf in Bermuda? We are going to be on Breakaway leaving NY June 14 (Father's Day) and I know my husband is bummed about missing the US Open from our couch, so I thought I'd make it up to him by getting him a tee time. Any suggestions? Also, he's a leftie, anyone know about club rentals?

Thanks in advance!

The choice is really between Port Royal and Riddles Bay.

Port Royal

Pros

- PGA Quality track with stunning views

- Always in great shape

Cons

- It is a tough golf course, play it from the appropriate tees

- Cart path only

Riddles Bay

Pros

- Easy day on the golf course

- Great views but not as great as Port Royal

Cons

- It is more narrow and you will lose some golf balls

- Can be cart path only depending on the conditions

Both courses will have left handed rental clubs.

Talk to the shore ex desk when you get onboard, it is cheaper / same price to book it through the ship because of the high costs of transportation in Bermuda.

Hope that helps.

NCL does not provide transportation for golf. We booked Riddels Bay with NCL but Riddels bay canceled. We booked the Belmont because we hadn't played it before. NCL offers Port Royal but DH doesn't like it. We've played Riddels Bay before and like it. We are also playing at Turtle Hill. I booked a mini van for the four of us playing...it's expensive but not bad split 4 ways.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone golf in Bermuda? We are going to be on Breakaway leaving NY June 14 (Father's Day) and I know my husband is bummed about missing the US Open from our couch, so I thought I'd make it up to him by getting him a tee time. Any suggestions? Also, he's a leftie, anyone know about club rentals?

Thanks in advance!

We are heading to Bermuda same day, but on Celebrity Summit out of NJ. I've been looking for someone to join at Port Royal on Thursday but tough to make connection since we are on different ships.

There's also the Mid Ocean Club which is rated as high as #69 on lists of best courses in the world. It's open to visitors Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Here's the problem with this course and it's a big one...$250! Still, for a once in a life time experience, maybe it's worth it.

We were on the Breakaway last summer and my DH played Port Royal. We booked it through NCL because it included the transportation- the price that way was not anymore expensive than booking separate and paying a taxi. Port Royal actually refunded $30 to each person because they had aerated the greens. DH said it was still a beautiful course and loved it!

kennykman, I will be on the summit also. not bringing clubs, but will bring shoes etc.

I wouldn't mind playing if you are interested.

homercrispy, sorry for the confusion - when the earlier poster mentioned Father's Day, I thought they were sailing on the 21st which is what we are doing. I will not be on the June 14 Summit cruise and it looks like that's the one you are taking.

• 1 month later...

Arriving on RCCL for one day stop (dock 0800 and departing at 1600). Do you think I will have enough time to get a around in? RCCL doesn't offer a golf shore excursion, so I'll have to make my own arrangements.

Arriving on RCCL for one day stop (dock 0800 and departing at 1600). Do you think I will have enough time to get a around in? RCCL doesn't offer a golf shore excursion, so I'll have to make my own arrangements.

Depending on which course you choose (and it's proximity to the dockyard), it may be doable. However, arriving at 0800 is a guesstimate and if your departing at 1600 then all aboard will be 1530. Based on these times, you really only have 7 1/2 hours to get to the course, sign in, get clubs and accessories, play 18 holes, return equipment and get back to the port.

If I were playing a course in Bermuda (and paying those greens fees) I would want to be having a leisurely round of golf (and not worrying about getting back to the ship), which would probably take me 5 hours. Based on that, I think it may be cutting it too close, but that's just me.

ScottS, I concur with previous post that timing might be tight. However, I just came back from Bermuda cruise and played Port Royal, which is probably your closest option. I had the ship concierge book the tee time and I ended up randomly playing with 3 people from another cruise ship docked the same time and had a great day! I took a bus there but shared a cab coming back. We had a slow day because of a large group ahead of us (5 hours) but I don't think that is usual. Even with that, my day would have fit into the same time window you have, except that a cab ride there might be needed to cut down on the time delay caused by bus stops. (And bus not an option if you bring clubs). By the way, if you're not bringing clubs, Port Royal extended their special through August ($150 for golf and clubs with proof of cruise - see their web site). Course will call cab for you, so that can also save you time when near done. You can always scoot early if pushed for time, but I don't think you would be - I've read reviews of people playing much faster. (But you must at least play the signature hole - #16). I hope this helps.