Passport Question

packedandready

It's time to renew our passports and I see I can get a card also. Is there any advantage to having both? Since you can't use the card for air travel what advantage do they serve?

If you live near a land border it might be easier for you to carry the card instead of the book if you cross frequently. The passport card may be used for land boarder crossings and for cruising (both closed loop and open jaw) but as you say can't be used for air travel.

It's time to renew our passports and I see I can get a card also. Is there any advantage to having both? Since you can't use the card for air travel what advantage do they serve?

As Sparks said the card is helpful mostly for those who live near the border, of Canada or Mexico. It is easy to leave the card in one's wallet to have it available for spontaneous trip across the border.

I got one and I think it's worth it!

Did you know that you can use it as photo ID anywhere a license works ( except to drive) BUT it doesn't show your address. As a woman who lives alone I really appreciate not having to share my address with every bar doorman, grocery clerk, and bank teller in town.

Edited by katree

Did you know that you can use it as photo ID anywhere a license works ( except to drive) BUT it doesn't show your address. As a woman who lives alone I really appreciate not having to share my address with every bar doorman, grocery clerk, and bank teller in town.

good thought...

I agree!

I have a passport card and it's a handy piece of additional ID.

Even though I have a passport book, I use the card for TSA checks as well as crossing the Canadian border. The card doesn't have my address on it, nor does it have the passport stamps of all the countries I've visited. I prefer to keep that info private if I have a choice.

I also use my Passport Card as my official photo ID. On occasion some (generally young-but not always)numb-nuts clerk will try not accept that as an ID. When I explain that it's a federal ID that trumps everything, he changes his mind.

In addition, the passport card is valid for ten years as opposed to a state or local ID being valid for five years; at least here in California.