Ensenada - walking into town on your own.

lovevacadays

It has been about 10 years since I was in Ensenada. I will be on a cruise there 11/14. The friend I am cruising with is going to stay on the ship. I would like to go into town and browse the shops and have some chips and guacamole. Is there a safe route for me to take alone? If so, please let me know details. I really don't want to feel like I am walking in isolated areas by myself.

When you get to the street, make a left over the bridge (remember to say no to all the kids and the women begging for money) and at either the 1st or 2nd or 3rd light, cross the street and go up another block and make a left. Now you are on Av. Lopez Mateos (main shopping street). Between the 2nd & 3rd lights is Big Heads plaza. If you cross at the 3rd light, you will be at the main shopping area of Lopez Mateos.

I have walked this route by myself a few times during the day & at dinnertime with no problem.

As Rosefloater said, it is an easy and safe walk. However, if you just don't feel comfortable doing it, there is a shuttle at the dock that takes you to the "fun" end of Av Mateos for $3 round trip. When you exit the shuttle you are 1 block from Papas and Beer, Hussongs, and my favorite... Taqueria Mexico Lindo. :)

You can then walk both sides of the street, down and back, for several blocks without having to leave the area heavily populated by tourists. Lots of shops and lots of yummy food places. :)

Bob

• 1 month later...

We were there last November and as we were walking to town, at the edge of town we asked a local where a certain restaurant was. He took us up and over about 7 blocks. It was like a mini tour and he waved off all the venders at the shops. It was great, so I would maybe ask a local. We tipped him about 5 bucks and he was very happy. Also, we stayed away from the tourist restaurants. Just wanted some local tacos. Very safe and have fun!

As others have said, it's a safe and easy walk to town. Beside Avenida Lopez Mateos, check out the fish market (yes, an open sir public market). There are several small restaurants opposite it that do great fish tacos and cocteles. They usually only take cash, USD or pesos, but no credit cards.