Books on the Panama Canal?

dongordon

What would be the best books to purchase prior to my Panama Canal cruise to prepare for the enjoyment of the transit through the canal?

Don, Good question! Investing some time studying the history of Panama, the Canal - past, present and future - the better your trip will be. What is always suggested is The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough. McCullough is a great historian, and if you like reading historical detail once you get through the first 100 or so pages you will be hooked. But it is a long book and most importantly covers only one period, 1870-1914, when the Canal was actually being built. So it is limited in that sense. Doesn't cover much about the history of the country itself, the original Panama Railroad which preceded Canal attempts, the history of Panama since, the Turnover, and Panama today.

All of which is why I wrote MY book, Panama Canal Day: An Illustrated Guide to Cruising The Panama Canal. It's on Amazon and Kindle if you are interested. I had just completed a lecture in the show lounge on a ship scheduled to transit the Canal. After the talk, as I walked out of the lounge, I was behind two ladies, both in their early 60s, and I overhead one say to the other, “I didn’t know the Canal was man made.” Here these gals were, taking the “bucket list,” trip-of-a-lifetime through one of the great wonders of the world, and they didn’t have a clue!

I realized that there was a need for a simpler and more current book, a book written for cruise passengers that included information about Panama (past as well as present) as well as information about the Canal. I wanted to write a book that would be helpful to folks planning a Panama Canal trip, as well as serve as a guide during the voyage.

Some other books I like about the period of the Canal Construction are Panama Fever: The Epic Story of the Building of the Panama Canal by Matthew Parker and The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal by Julie Green.

There's another Canal cruise book Panama Canal by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising the Panama Canal by Anne Vipond which is more about a total Canal itinerary. IMHO she spends most of the book talking about other Caribbean ports that may be on your itinerary and precious little about the Canal itself, which is the reason why most people book a Canal cruise. She also spends a lot of time on the very basics of cruising ... who the Captain is, what he does and how many stripes he has. What always strikes the hard-working crew who man the front desk hilariously funny is Vipond's description of the front desk as the "pleasure center" of the ship! Who knew? Certainly not the folks who work there!

Invest a little time and money upfront preparing for your cruise adventure and you will get SO much more out of it! The Canal is in many ways not only at the "center of the world" but it is definitely at the center of Panamanian pride and life. For US readers, there is a 100 year relationship between the US and Panama which, like most relationships, has had some tense moments. But US readers particularly will get more out of their Panama trip if they understand some of the struggles of the "marriage." This 100th Anniversary year [Aug 14, 2014 - August 2015] is a fantastic time to take a Panama Canal cruise! There's lots of good information on this board for planning.

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

Edited by Richard in Panama

Don, Good question! Investing some time studying the history of Panama, the Canal - past, present and future - the better your trip will be. What is always suggested is The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough. McCullough is a great historian, and if you like reading historical detail once you get through the first 100 or so pages you will be hooked. But it is a long book and most importantly covers only one period, 1870-1914, when the Canal was actually being built. So it is limited in that sense. Doesn't cover much about the history of the country itself, the original Panama Railroad which preceded Canal attempts, the history of Panama since, the Turnover, and Panama today.

All of which is why I wrote MY book, Panama Canal Day: An Illustrated Guide to Cruising The Panama Canal. It's on Amazon and Kindle if you are interested. I had just completed a lecture in the show lounge on a ship scheduled to transit the Canal. After the talk, as I walked out of the lounge, I was behind two ladies, both in their early 60s, and I overhead one say to the other, “I didn’t know the Canal was man made.” Here these gals were, taking the “bucket list,” trip-of-a-lifetime through one of the great wonders of the world, and they didn’t have a clue!

I realized that there was a need for a simpler and more current book, a book written for cruise passengers that included information about Panama (past as well as present) as well as information about the Canal. I wanted to write a book that would be helpful to folks planning a Panama Canal trip, as well as serve as a guide during the voyage.

Some other books I like about the period of the Canal Construction are Panama Fever: The Epic Story of the Building of the Panama Canal by Matthew Parker and The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal by Julie Green.

There's another Canal cruise book Panama Canal by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising the Panama Canal by Anne Vipond which is more about a total Canal itinerary. IMHO she spends most of the book talking about other Caribbean ports that may be on your itinerary and precious little about the Canal itself, which is the reason why most people book a Canal cruise. She also spends a lot of time on the very basics of cruising ... who the Captain is, what he does and how many stripes he has. What always strikes the hard-working crew who man the front desk hilariously funny is Vipond's description of the front desk as the "pleasure center" of the ship! Who knew? Certainly not the folks who work there!

Invest a little time and money upfront preparing for your cruise adventure and you will get SO much more out of it! The Canal is in many ways not only at the "center of the world" but it is definitely at the center of Panamanian pride and life. For US readers, there is a 100 year relationship between the US and Panama which, like most relationships, has had some tense moments. But US readers particularly will get more out of their Panama trip if they understand some of the struggles of the "marriage." This 100th Anniversary year [Aug 14, 2014 - August 2015] is a fantastic time to take a Panama Canal cruise! There's lots of good information on this board for planning.

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

Thank you Richard.....I love your enthusiasm for the Panama Canal.

I went through the canal about 30 years ago (on the Sitmar Fairsea) when I was a young father with three very young daughters who are now grown and married. In those days, there were either inside or oceanview cabins (no balconies!). We had two inside cabins. I video taped practically the whole transit voyage (before I had to get off the deck because of getting sunstroke! :) ) I was fascinated with the canal since I did a project on it in junior high school. It was my favorite cruise and my wife Barbara and I are doing it again for our anniversary in January and we have an Aft Balcony Suite! :)

We should have a great view and I can stay away from any possibility of getting sunstroke.

It was over 100 degrees last time I did the canal transit...one of the most memorable moments of my life without a doubt. I am so excited about doing this again.

Even then, I marveled how people could work to build this extraordinary marvel in such heat!

I have McCullough's book and would like to purchase your book....it sounds fantastic and I think it would be a great book to read before and again during the cruise.

My e-mail address is:

dong70279@aol.com

Please let me know how I can get an autographed copy of your book.

I can provide a credit card number or mail you a check.

Thanks so much again for this information and for sharing your enthusiasm with me.

Don

I have McCullough's book and would like to purchase your book....it sounds fantastic and I think it would be a great book to read before and again during the cruise ... Please let me know how I can get an autographed copy of your book. I can provide a credit card number or mail you a check.

Thanks so much again for this information and for sharing your enthusiasm with me. Don

Thanks Don! Of course I am enthusiastic ... One of the things I wish cruise line execs [the guys and gals Carnivals' at-times-wacky-sales-spokesman John Heald calls "the beards" [last time I noticed Princess' President Jan Swartz didn't have a beard, but John sometimes gets confused] ... Anyhow, sometimes I think the "beards" don't really get that the reason WHY people take a Canal cruise is ... dah! ... the Canal! One of the reasons why I like doing Canal cruises is that the passengers are as excited as I am, and many are up at 5 am lining the decks to watch the sun rise and the Canal pilot board.

I need to be careful not to "hawk" my book on the CC boards since I don't want to violate their policies. I'd love to sign your book, and hopefully we'll meet some day on board, but I'm in Panama and the books are printed by Amazon on demand, so I never actually see the books or have them in Panama, except an initial proof copy.

I know you'll have a fantastic time! BTW you didn't say what ship you are going to be on ....

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

Thanks Don! Of course I am enthusiastic ... One of the things I wish cruise line execs [the guys and gals Carnivals' at-times-wacky-sales-spokesman John Heald calls "the beards" [last time I noticed Princess' President Jan Swartz didn't have a beard, but John sometimes gets confused] ... Anyhow, sometimes I think the "beards" don't really get that the reason WHY people take a Canal cruise is ... dah! ... the Canal! One of the reasons why I like doing Canal cruises is that the passengers are as excited as I am, and many are up at 5 am lining the decks to watch the sun rise and the Canal pilot board.

I need to be careful not to "hawk" my book on the CC boards since I don't want to violate their policies. I'd love to sign your book, and hopefully we'll meet some day on board, but I'm in Panama and the books are printed by Amazon on demand, so I never actually see the books or have them in Panama, except an initial proof copy.

I know you'll have a fantastic time! BTW you didn't say what ship you are going to be on ....

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

Hi Richard...

I am on the January 4th Panama Canal cruise on the NCL Star.

We go from LA to Miami.

I will order your book on Amazon and hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

Thank you again.

Don

Hi Richard....

I ordered your book and should be receiving it next week.

Any chance you might be doing a lecture on my NCL cruise (the Star) that will transit the canal on January 14, 2015 going from west to east? :)

Don

Hi Richard....

I ordered your book and should be receiving it next week.

Any chance you might be doing a lecture on my NCL cruise (the Star) that will transit the canal on January 14, 2015 going from west to east?

Don

Don, let us know what you think about the book. I don't do the commentary for the Canal, the folks who many cruise lines have get on for the day. Usually I'm on for 3 to 4 months, but occasionally a few cruises at a time. I've worked with Princess, Holland, Celebrity, Crystal and Silversea, but never NCL. Sorry. You should have a fantastic cruise. January is a great time to go with winds from the north making it feel less hot and humid out on deck.

Regards, Richard

Don, let us know what you think about the book. I don't do the commentary for the Canal, the folks who many cruise lines have get on for the day. Usually I'm on for 3 to 4 months, but occasionally a few cruises at a time. I've worked with Princess, Holland, Celebrity, Crystal and Silversea, but never NCL. Sorry. You should have a fantastic cruise. January is a great time to go with winds from the north making it feel less hot and humid out on deck.

Regards, Richard

Thank you Richard.....

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of your book to start preparing for the transit.

My wife Barbara and I are really looking forward to this cruise and seeing the Panama Canal again. Your book should provide us with a more enjoyable and informative voyage.

I may be asking you some more questions on the canal since I will not have the pleasure of meeting you on my cruise.

Good to hear that January might be a bit more pleasant this time around. Last time, we went in the summer and the temps were over 100 degrees as I stood on deck and video taped the passage through the various locks. We have an aft balcony which should provide a comfortable view as well. Do you suggesst I also watch the transit from the front of the ship?

Thanks again.

Don

Don, Questions are good! No problem. IMHO when you are in the Canal you want to move around, to see everything from all angles. Staying put is a mistake. Maybe when your crossing Gatun Lake, that's the time to have a champagne breakfast served on your balcony, but the rest of the time move around. The folks that just stay glued to the front of the ship make a mistake. Entering the locks the front is a great place to be, but during the lockage take it all in from all angles.

Regards, Richard

We are doing the Panama Canal in February. It was on DH's bucket list and he wanted to go when he was guaranteed to go through the original locks. On the advice of this board, I got him David McCollough's book and he devoured it. I hope to read it between graduation (Dec 19, but who's counting?) and embarkation.

All of which is why I wrote MY book, Panama Canal Day: An Illustrated Guide to Cruising The Panama Canal. It's on Amazon and Kindle if you are interested.

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

Just received your book and my Hubby commandeered it and is enjoying it immensely. At some point I will be able to read it as well.

Don, Questions are good! No problem. IMHO when you are in the Canal you want to move around, to see everything from all angles. Staying put is a mistake. Maybe when your crossing Gatun Lake, that's the time to have a champagne breakfast served on your balcony, but the rest of the time move around. The folks that just stay glued to the front of the ship make a mistake. Entering the locks the front is a great place to be, but during the lockage take it all in from all angles.

Regards, Richard

Richard....

That sounds like excellent advice.

Thank you....I will be going back and forth on the ship throughout the transit.

What temperatures will I be encountering that time of year?

Is rain a strong possibility?

Approximately what time does the transit usually start?

Last time, it was very early in the morning if I remember correctly....I believe it is a full day journey....correct?

I am sure your book will answer all these questions. It is arriving in a few days!! :)

Regards,

Don

Richard....

That sounds like excellent advice.

Thank you....I will be going back and forth on the ship throughout the transit.

Is rain a strong possibility?

Last time, it was very early in the morning if I remember correctly....I believe it is a full day journey....correct?

I am sure your book will answer all these questions. It is arriving in a few days!!

Regards,

Don

Yes, Don, my book, PANAMA CANAL DAY, will answer these questions and a lot more. I have a question for you, how is Amazon sending you the book? By wagon train? In answer to these questions ...

Canal is about 9 degrees off the Equator, the Tropics. So it is always hot and humid. The plus of taking your trip Jan-April, is that we have winds from the north those months and that mitigates the heat. It feels a lot more pleasant.

Is rain a strong possibility? Always. Again tropics. I usually tell folks on Panama Canal Cruises that I guarantee it will rain sometime, and usually I'm right, not always, but usually, even if it's just a few drops.

Cruise ships, who've paid about $30K extra for a guaranteed daylight transit slot, usually are on station around 4 am. It's better to be early than late! Again, hefty fees if you're late. The Canal pilot comes on board around 5 am and usually your approaching the first lock around 6 am. I encourage folks to be up at 5 am and out on the fore deck to experience the entire process. It's a magical time! But, it's your cruise, so you can sleep all morning if you want.

Last time, it was very early in the morning if I remember correctly....I believe it is a full day journey....correct? Complete transit will usually run around 10 hours.

Regards, Richard

cropped-panama-canal-cruise-11.jpg

Yes, Don, my book, PANAMA CANAL DAY, will answer these questions and a lot more. I have a question for you, how is Amazon sending you the book? By wagon train? In answer to these questions ...

Canal is about 9 degrees off the Equator, the Tropics. So it is always hot and humid. The plus of taking your trip Jan-April, is that we have winds from the north those months and that mitigates the heat. It feels a lot more pleasant.

Is rain a strong possibility? Always. Again tropics. I usually tell folks on Panama Canal Cruises that I guarantee it will rain sometime, and usually I'm right, not always, but usually, even if it's just a few drops.

Cruise ships, who've paid about $30K extra for a guaranteed daylight transit slot, usually are on station around 4 am. It's better to be early than late! Again, hefty fees if you're late. The Canal pilot comes on board around 5 am and usually your approaching the first lock around 6 am. I encourage folks to be up at 5 am and out on the fore deck to experience the entire process. It's a magical time! But, it's your cruise, so you can sleep all morning if you want.

Last time, it was very early in the morning if I remember correctly....I believe it is a full day journey....correct? Complete transit will usually run around 10 hours.

Regards, Richard

cropped-panama-canal-cruise-11.jpg

Hi Richard...

Your book arrived from Amazon a few hours ago...it must have come by horse and carraige since it too over a week! :)

I started reading it and it is hard to put down....excellent job!!

The first chapter already answered a few questions that you answered here on your post.

On deck by 4:30 AM and the transit starts around 6:00 AM.

The journey will take 10 - 12 hours! :)

I am bringing my emergency pancho on deck with me from the dollar store in case of showers while on deck! :)

I can't believe how much the cruise line has to pay for the transit....over $500,000!

Back to your book....I am taking notes while reading it. :)

BTW:

I love coffee.....especially strong coffee!

It sounds like your home in the mountains and coffee farm would be something I would enjoy and it certainly is handy having a neighbor who can process the beans! :D.

Regards,

Don