Flam Railway Excursion - Help please!

Hi

We are going on the Fiords Cruise next month with Fred Olsen on the Balmoral

Really want to do the Flam Railway, but husband does have a problem walking.

So there are two options -

Norway in a Nutshell 6.5 - 7 hours

or

Geilo & the Flam Railway 8 - 8.5 hours

The excursion brochure states that in the Nutshell one there is some walking - to reach the station in Flam and the Stalheim hotel in Voss.

I wonder if anyone knows what 'some' walking means?

The Geilo excursion at 8.5 hours seems a long day, but involves little walking so might be a better option. But I think the shorter day would be better.

Any advice?

Oh to young again!

From the cruise ship in Flam to the station it's just 100 meters, and even shorter if you are tendering.

Above is somewhat correct. In checking the Google.com map, I would estimate more like 1000 feet. The train is fairly long and by the time you walk to your exact car, it might be a little longer. Below is one of my pictures showing our ship docking and the nearby places.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 72,252 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. The train siding is just on the other side of the red-roofed, one-story building.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

OK thanks, looks manageable, fingers crossed. Regards

Good luck!! YES, it is worth making the effort. This train ride and ALL of the sights were one of the BIG highlights on our Norway cruise. Below are a few more of my visuals as "previews" for what you will see and enjoy.

Since you are new to these Cruise Critic boards, we should also say "WELCOME!!". Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 72,760 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here's a nice farm view along this great fjord and another Flam train view.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

FjordsTrainViews.jpg

We were in Flam last June on a Fred Olsen cruise. Fortunately, we were the only ship in port that day. The train station is very close to where the ship docks.

We bought the tickets for the Flam railway at the station and went by ourselves. A lot cheaper than the ship's excursion. I also have walking difficulties, but the train's guard put out a ramp for me to get onto the train and found us seats nearest to the buffers (so as to speak), so had hardly any walking at all.

The scenery is fantastic, so be sure to go.

I think I'll also buy a ticket for the train at the station but was wondering, should I get the first train back from Myrdal or spend an hour there. eg Is there anything to see or do. Thanks for any advice

I think I'll also buy a ticket for the train at the station but was wondering, should I get the first train back from Myrdal or spend an hour there. eg Is there anything to see or do. Thanks for any advice

There is nothing to do in Myrdal - it's small "connection" railway station, where you can change to the train going Bergen or Oslo.

We have bought one way ticket, get to Myrdal by train and return to Flam by foot - around 20 km to walk, fantastic views, very enjoyable and not very demanding.You can also walk half a way and join the train in the middle of the road. It is also the option to rent a bike in Myrdal and to return it in Flam.

Any way you choose you'll enjoy!

When we did it a couple of years ago we stayed in Myrdal for an hour and had a walk around. And we're glad we did. It was lovely.

34xgt8j.jpg

2ec2koy.jpg

Depending on how big your ship is, the trips may be booked up for returns. The lines and such for getting tickets are a bit insane. Like everyone pretty much runs for the railroad station when the train docks. Just something to consider if your husband has difficulty walking and you will want to stay by him.

Can only be done for a group of at least 10. And you still have to go to the train station in Flam to get the tickets - but at least the seats are reserved (not general open seating) and you know you have a seat. I lined up people from my CC group ahead of time, had them pay me at the M&G and then we met up that morning near the train as we all needed to board the train together.

When we were there, two ships were in port with a total of about 5,000 passengers so we elected to buy our tickets via Rail Europe. It cost about $30 more for three of us but the line to buy tickets was a zoo. With our tickets we bypassed the ticket line and went straight to the line to get on the train.

Archived