Royal Manipulation

MADflyer

While I understand that Royal Caribbean states that they have a new solo policy where single travelers pay 200% and are rewarded double Crown and Anchor points under this policy.

What I am not enjoying is the frequency with which they are now charging more than 200% for solos. While it was just hidden before, with their new system this actually shows in their price summary.

Here is a Q guarantee fare first for a double and then for a single. They are using a system of reducing the fare of the second passenger in the cabin and through this manipulating the fare of the solo traveler.

The cruise fare for a solo is $1138 for a solo and only $853 for two passengers or 235% of the per person fare.

This is for the exact same cabin category on a 4 night Liberty sailing on the 14th of May out of Barcelona.

Double Stateroom Total $1,009.20 USD

Guest 1 Guest 2

$569.00 $569.00

Taxes, fees and port expenses:

$78.10 $78.10

Discount:

$0.00 ($285.00)

Per Person Total:

$647.10 $362.10

Then, here is the same fare for a solo traveler.

Stateroom

Stateroom Total $1,216.10 USD

Guest 1

Cruise Fare:

$1,138.00

Taxes, fees and port expenses:

$78.10

Per Person Total:

$1,216.10

Edited by MADflyer

Their UK Twitter account sometimes posts great deals "blah blah cruise from just £299pp". On each occasion I'd find that the cheapest solo price might be in the region of £700+ (instead of the £598 you'd expect). I've taken to tweeting to solo supplement percentage to them each time. Their twitter account ignores anything negative, but it might filter through to them eventually.

Is it possible they were offering a reduced rate based on double occupancy as part of a special but charged you the full non discounted double occupancy rate as a solo?

When I was researching my trip and thought I had found all these great deals or semi-good deals where there was a special then I doubled that and called the line to verify if that would be the amount charged, I sadly discovered that as a solo, unless specified that the special discount was for solo supplement, I got charged full price for the cabin i.e. 200% of non-discounted no specials full double occupancy rate for the cabin. Is it possible that is what happened to you, as well? At least on excursions, drink packages and all else we only got charged as a single person not based on double occupancy.

Would be curious to see if the last minute close to departure slashed prices to fill up ship will also apply price wise to solo travelers paying for double occupancy or if even they the lines revert back to full price for the cabin with no discounts as would have been given for the cabin if two ppl were in it?

Regardless, I am just thrilled to be taking my trip and really traveling again. Last time I travelled by myself was 10 years ago and I have missed it ( i.e. traveling for fun vacation not to see and stay with family). This will be my first time traveling with oxygen so wanted to make sure that works out ok soloing before taking future trips with friends again. :)

Edited by Texas_cherbear

My guess is that it's a perfect example of how important on-board revenue is to the cruise lines vs cabin fare. The pricing models must assume that they will make more profit from on board spending, so let's make sure we get people on the ship to begin with by offering good fares. Solos hurt their bottom line and so the prices have to be adjusted for the lower than expected on board spending of one person vs two. It must be really bad when they feel they must charge more than 200% to make up for that lost expected revenue. But that's the game nowadays. There's fierce price competition because of all the new ships needing to fill up and the increased availability of revenue generating venues like specialty restaurants etc.

I now completely overlook cruise lines that charge 200%, which is most but not all. Princess still does not charge 200%, as long as it's not a discounted fare. When the fare is on sale then I'm OK with 200% because I'm already getting a discount. RCCL is one of the worst for solo pricing and I avoid them altogether.

What I am not enjoying is the frequency with which they are now charging more than 200% for solos. While it was just hidden before, with their new system this actually shows in their price summary.

Did you happen to see this thread I started a few weeks back on the RCl board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006730

Take note of the italicized quote directly from my TA... b.s. in my books, but business is business. With MSC offering some incredible rates, Carnival offering zero supplements, X 150%, and others I feel it may be my time to finally truly see if the grass is any greener on the other side(s) :p

At least I figure I'd have some pretty good threads going comparing my RCL experiences to my new ones on different lines :D

Can't you just book the rate for two people and at the last minute the 2nd person cancels or give an excuse they missed their flight? Seems quite unfair the rate is more than 200 %.

I have been told this is not a problem.... but my question would be would the solo traveler receive the cruise points for the no-show person? Or does the solo only get single cruise points for his/her name only? Maybe that's part of the reason for the surcharge on RCL.... book solo, pay extra, receive double cruise points.