NE Cruise with Teens in June??

emarismom

I am considering the Carnival Glory in June of 2013. I will be traveling with my husband and two teens (14 girl-17boy). I am wondering what there is to do in these ports with teens. The ports are Portland, Halifax, Saint John, and Sydney. Any suggestions would for active excursions would be great.

• 4 weeks later...

I live near Portland. Very cool town. Safe and manageable. I would give your kids a few bucks and let them go explore on their own. Have them do a little googling before the trip. If you're like me I think cruisers can get a bit institutionalized by all the service on board. It seems at times they can't set foot off the ship without a guide and a schedule. Nothing spoils a quaint little village or a hidden shop like a horde 80 strong unloading from an air conditioned motor coach.

There's a great Irish bar on Commercial Street called Ri Ra. Shouting distance from your ship. I'd say plan to meet back there 60 minutes before sailing. Tell them if they're late this will be their last vacation. Now go your separate ways and find some cool stuff that appeals to you. Portland has lots of it. Bard Coffee is where the locals javinate in the morning. You'll find plenty of helpful people with goatees or laptop bags willing to help you find something fun or interesting or delicious. Just ask.

Just red your post about taking teens on a Canada New England tour on Carnival. Last year a group of us too it on Royal Caribbean and travelled to many of the ports that you are going on.

honestly your teens MIGHT find friends with something to do on Carnival but on RCI the ship ws pretty much inhabited by middle age and older people. Really not too much to do for teens on this itinarary.

If you still decide to go I would like to forward you my post that I sent over on the RCI sight as well as New England Ports. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else that's looking to take land tours on their own in Halifax. It's a beautiful city with lots to do as long as you book it with the right Tour Company or if you look for companies off the hipe please DON"T even consider this fly by night Tour Company that took us over the hurdles. Only by word of mouth do we hope that this person's reputation will suffer financial loss.

***There are a lot of choices to make when selecting land tours other than what's offered from the Cruise Line. I would like to help you eliminate any hastles that you could encounter if you are looking into taking a tour from Halifax NS known as My Cab, Bus and Charter tours managed by Jonathan Duru.His business is available to view on line along with his cell and business numbers.

My wife spoke with him last year in detail telling him that we (a group of six people) who were on the Jewel wanted to see the Titanic Cemetary and best tours available from that beautiful city. We were reassured that he would meet us at the dock and take us in his vehicle for one of the best tours that we've ever had. Not so. When we met him he immediately had his hand out and wanted full payment which would have been alright except that as soon as we did he said to us, I am turning over the tour to this man who is going to do your tour. We asked why and was told that he "booked" another group from another cruise ship that was docked at Halifax. We were very disappointed and felt deceived not only by him but the person who did the tour had his own small and uncomfortable van and spoke mostly about himself as he drove us around.

After we got home my wife emailed him twice to tell him of our displeasure from what he did. On his second email he all but told her that he would invoke a curse on her if she bothered him again.

Buyer-beware when selecting a tour company in Halifax especially if it's called My Cab, Bus and Charter Tours. There's others to consider even if it means taking it from the ship, stay away from this person's business. ***

Three Dollar Doeys (spelling) on Commercial St. is also a lively place and about 1/3 of a mile down on the left. The 'beverages' priced very reasonable and their home made pop corn to munch on was delicious that we had while waiting for their well known hand cut french fries ! ummmm!!!

A nice alternative to cruise ship munchies when downing a couple of cold ones !

Archived