First visit to New Orleans-Staying in Garden District

Reenwad

A small group of us have a cruise out of New Orleans this year on November 10th - Carnival Elation. None of us have been to New Orleans before!!

We reserved rooms at the Prytania Park Hotel in the Garden District based on suggestions from this site, reviews I've read, and it being a minute to catch the street car. Plus decent rates!

We will be arriving Friday night (probably late) and don't cruise until Monday.

What shall we do Saturday and Sunday?

We all wanna dive into the local flavor, see the history, eat the best food, and hear the best music - and of course, on a small budget!

Other questions:

Is the cruise terminal walking distance?

Is there a place to pick up water/sodas to take on board close by?

How early should we get to the terminal?

Thanks for any advice, happy cruising y'all!

I hope you enjoy your time in New Orleans. There is a New Orleans section under Ports of Call on this website, so please check that section, too.

First - there is a New Orleans Saints home game against the 49ers at 12noon on 11/9. Depending on how the season is going that should be a big game. There will be tailgating near the Superdome and then the French Quarter will be be crowded after the game - win or lose. Saints games are almost always sold out, but if you are interested in tickets they may have some through the NFL ticket exchange. You can join the merriment or try to avoid it if you stay away from downtown.

I think walking to the port from your hotel would be tough. It is just over 1-1/2 miles according to MapQuest, but you go under the interstate and on some busy streets. I think it would be hard with luggage and I doubt there would be many sidewalks.

There are many, many things to do in New Orleans. First up, I would recommend the French Quarter. You can hop on the streetcar - $1.25 each, but the driver does not give change. The Quarter starts at Canal Street where the St. Charles Ave streetcar turns. The Quarter has lots of good restaurants - at all price levels. I recommend a local food critic's website - http://www.nomenu.com for ideas. Don't miss Cafe du Monde either on Jackson Square or in the Riverwalk- for delicious cafe au lait and hot beignets which are a fried dough with powdered sugar. There is also lots of shopping - even if you just window shop. We also have a first class aquarium right on the river at Canal St (about 2 blocks from the port). If there are children, we also have a very good zoo, but it is on the other side from your hotel, but still close. For older children and adults, the is the WWII museum which is amazing - and very humbling.

I personally do not rush to get to the port when I cruise out of New Orleans. Everyone has an opinion on this, so you may want to check on the Carnival threads.

For water and soft drinks (we do not call them sodas here) - try Walgreens at 1801 St. Charles Ave. There will also be Walgreens and CVS stores on Decatur St. in the Quarter. They are right across the street from one another. There are a few grocery stores - Rouse's may be your best bet, but it is not that close.

Most of all - enjoy your time. It is a wonderful city and fun to cruise from.

My wife & I are also excited to be cruising out of NO and staying at the Prytania Park in early September. There certainly appears to be a lot to do in Orleans and we'll jam as much as possible during our 3 day pre-cruise stay. There is tons of info in the New Orleans section. We did email the NO chamber of commerce and received a great brochur on their city. Enjoy :)

What shall we do Saturday and Sunday?

There are plenty of things to do. I would head to the Quarter and just walk around and see what gets your attention. Also, make sure to check out the WWII museum.

We all wanna dive into the local flavor, see the history, eat the best food, and hear the best music - and of course, on a small budget!

Other questions:

Is the cruise terminal walking distance?

No. Your best option is a taxi, $7pp to the terminal. It is about a 10 minute ride. Prytania Park front desk will call a taxi for you.

Is there a place to pick up water/sodas to take on board close by?

Yes, Walgreens. If you walk out of the door at the hotel and toward Terpischore (the road that you entered to get to the parking lot) and walk toward St. Charles, then turn Left and go about a block and a half it will be on the other side of the road. They do not carry wine there, just reply if you need that information.

How early should we get to the terminal?

We try to wait until about 9:45 to have the front desk call the taxi. If you have FTTF or are priority then it is even better to get there early.

Thanks for any advice, happy cruising y'all!

• 3 weeks later...

Locals spend more time in the Uptown areas than downtown.

Check out the shopping and Dining on Magazine st. That is right near you.

You are also by Commander's Palace, which is one of the nicest places to eat in the city.

They have great lunch prices and should not be missed, they do have a dress code similar to the MDR on carnival on formal days. (they won't let you in, in shorts)

twenty five cent martinis are excellent.

For dining Peche is the hot spot in the city and deservedly so. It's actually in walking distance from the cruise terminal.

WW2 museum is an awesome attraction, also they have a John Besh restaurant in the museum. So if you want to eat food from a top NOLA chef, but don't want to pay 4star prices, eat there at the American Sector.

I'm a foodie and eat out in NOLA at least twice a week and have 3-4 lunches weekly in the area. Any questions on where to get what I will gladly anser.

Bourbon os okay but touristy and full of drunks. Take a cab to Frenchmen street, where every club has live music and few have covers. Good food out there too, and much cheaper than the french quarter.

Another new dining destination has been Freret street. Five years ago I would have avoided that area like the plague, but it's full of nice local dining options.

In the quarter I think Royal street is much more enjoyable than Bourbon street. You do HAVE to go to the quarter when you come. It's a tourist law, not going is like going to NYC and not times square or SF and not Fisherman's wharf.

Edited by NolaZach

Also try Deanie's and the Bon Ton for dinner. Mother's and the New Orleans Seafood and Hamburger company ?( St. Charles?) for lunch.

No

No

No

NO

lol. those places exist only to part tourists from their money.

Deanie's used to be okay, and for fried seafood you can't mess it up.

New Orleans hamburger?

You want a Hamburger in NOLA

French Quarter - Yo Mama's or Port of Call

Uptown - Company or Hi Hat

Mid City - Finn McCools

We are a city that hates chains. Even the chains that start here (ironic I guess)

Be carefull where you eat, you are in a food destination.. You don't want a place that serves the same stuff (Sysco) as everywhere else.

Thank you so much Zach!

You had me at the 25 cent martinis!

I hate chain restaurants, so we'll definitely stay away from the Sysco foods and hit Commander's Palace and check out Freret Street.

Thanks for the heads-up on the unmentioned law too. ;)

Thank you Linda!

I didn't realize there is a New Orleans section here. I'll have to look better.

I keep hearing about Cafe du Monde. I guess that's a MUST! ;)

I don't understand why I can not locate a dedicated NO section on here. Can you link it if you found one?

I don't understand why I can not locate a dedicated NO section on here. Can you link it if you found one?

Howdy GWAE and welcome to the Gulf Coast Departures forum! emo22.gif

Please note the following portion from the Sticky at the top of this forum titled Want MORE info about New Orleans? Research the Ports of Call - New Orleans Forum:

Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=21 for the Ports of Call - New Orleans Forum...

Also' date=' you can click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php for the list of all Cruise Critic message board forums and sub-forums. Be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky posts at the top of the various forums for very important information or instructions before you post.

I sincerely hope all this information will be helpful to someone new to posting and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Kat emo32.gif