Singapore EZ link and HK Octopus: credit card or cash?

stefanny28

Hi everyone;

Thanks to all the helpful advices I have gotten on this forum, I now know what and where to buy tickets ( or cards) for public transport.

Just a few more questions:

Can I pay the EZ links cards in Singapore and the Octopus card in HK with my credit card? or it has to be cash? How about tickets for the Airport Express in Hong Kong?

How about taxi? Do they accept credit card like in Copenhagen?

Just trying to figure out how much cash ( SGD and HKD) I have to brin for 6 days in HK and 3 days in Singapore.

BTW, how much cash to I need for 3 days in Pattaya ( Thailand)? I can always ask this question on another thread.

Thanks

Edited by stefanny28

Hi everyone;

Thanks to all the helpful advices I have gotten on this forum, I now know what and where to buy tickets ( or cards) for public transport.

Just a few more questions:

Can I pay the EZ links cards in Singapore and the Octopus card in HK with my credit card? or it has to be cash? How about tickets for the Airport Express in Hong Kong?

How about taxi? Do they accept credit card like in Copenhagen?

Just trying to figure out how much cash ( SGD and HKD) I have to brin for 6 days in HK and 3 days in Singapore.

BTW, how much cash to I need for 3 days in Pattaya ( Thailand)? I can always ask this question on another thread.

Thanks

New EZ link card is cash. Lots of money changers in Singapore so no worries and lots of shops accept oversea currencies too and credit cards.

What about taxi in SIngapore, do they take credit card or cash?

Thanks

Most do but I don't advise using CC for them as there will be additional charges added. If you do have extra SGD you can always change it back at the Airport to the currency you use back home.

Try the MRT as it stop in most major attractions.

https://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/mrt_sys_map.htm

Thanks

We be leaving Singapore on a cruise ship so we won't go back to Changi Airport. Oh well, I wll just have to change them back home then.

Are you staying in a hotel before your cruise? Figure out how much money you'll need your last day, en route to the ship etc, and use the rest to pay your hotel bill (finishing up with a credit card if/as needed) That's what I do when I have a lot of local cash I know I won't need to use up. I once had my airfare reimbursed in cash on arrival in Shanghai - what the heck was I going to do with that much RMB? Fortunately, it happened to be a trip where my husband came with me and we spent a few extra days doing touristy stuff, so we used that as our spending cash during the trip and then paid part of our hotel bill with the remainder (and used a credit card for the last bit of the hotel bill).

I flat out refuse to change money in the US. I prefer to hold on to money for my next trip if I'm not able to spend it all. Though of course I'd prefer to even out - only change (get from the ATM) what I plan to use....

If you are sailing from Marina Bay, their website says there is a money exchange there

http://mbccs.com.sg/shops-services-2

The other cruise centre has details on their page too

http://www.singaporecruise.com.sg/index.php/terminals/sccharbourfront/retail-and-fb-2/

I usually change what I have left over into the currency of the next place the ship docks. Your other option is to find the nearest money changer (and they are near all hotels) and change it back just before you check out, leaving enough for your taxi fare. You can google approx costs of taxi's in Singas based on distance & time of day

If you are sailing from Marina Bay, their website says there is a money exchange there

http://mbccs.com.sg/shops-services-2

The other cruise centre has details on their page too

http://www.singaporecruise.com.sg/index.php/terminals/sccharbourfront/retail-and-fb-2/

I usually change what I have left over into the currency of the next place the ship docks. Your other option is to find the nearest money changer (and they are near all hotels) and change it back just before you check out, leaving enough for your taxi fare. You can google approx costs of taxi's in Singas based on distance & time of day

Thanks.

Good to know