Comparison of cruise lines

islasisterchick

My husband and I (mid-40s)are looking at a Tahiti Cruise for our anniversary in the Fall. We aren't big on cruising as we are pretty independent travelers but a cruise looked like the most efficient way to see several islands to decide where to return for a longer stay. We are torn between Paul Gauguin and Windstar. Has anyone been on both that can compare them for me? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have sailed on the Windstar ships many times but not in Tahiti. We have also done the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti twice in the last 2 years. They are both excellent cruise ships and the service is wonderful on both. The major differences, other than price are: PG is a larger ship and the common areas are bigger and more numerous; the WS is easy to get around since it is smaller; you have more cabin options on the PG (both price and size); PG includes all your beverages (cocktails, wine, beer & sodas); both have open seating for all meals and the food is excellent on both but I would say the PG's food is a little better; and PG offers more varied itineraries. If I were to do Tahiti again I would do WS only because I have done PG twice. You'll have a great time on either ships. Just add up all the costs including air fare and see which one works better for you.

I was on the Wind Song twice in Tahiti, before she sank, and this December, I took a PG cruise in Tahiti.

I greatly preferred Windstar. The pros for me included far superior service on the Windstar, more attractive public areas, better staff, a smaller ship, much nicer cabins, and overall, I enjoyed the food more. There is a lovely cocktail hour in the lounge before dinner, and you can attend talks about the next day's port, which usually are pretty informative. They hand out maps and information about the next port.

I guess the one pro for PG was free alcohol, but that wouldn't make me choose that cruise line. No real port discussions that I saw. They do have Les Gauguines, but I didn't really understand the point of them. I did very much enjoy the food at Le Veranda, but it was very difficult to get reservations. It was nice the night some local ladies came on board to make leis, etc., and I did like having a balcony, but I've never missed one on Windstar.

I was traveling on PG with my two teenage children and I honestly felt ignored much of the time by the staff. This has never happened on Windstar. No one on PG ever knew my name, but they all know you and greet you on Windstar and remember what you like to drink, etc. I am not a cruiser who wants to be "best friends" with the staff, but it is nice to receive such good service.

It would have to be an amazing deal for me to ever consider sailing on a PG ship again.

Edited by 6rugrats

Thank you, Rugrats. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds like Windstar is much more what we would like. What is the demographic of passengers on WS in Tahiti? They say on the line overall, it's 40-70 yo independent travelers but I would think Tahiti would draw a younger crowd. We are mid-40s and have been dreaming of this cruise for years with ideas of lots of very active excursions, but I was recently diagnosed with a degenerating joint disorder and may be limited in my excursions and was wondering if I was going to feel like the old person left out of the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginning May 10 through November 7, the ship sailing the Tahiti itinerary will be the Wind Spirit - with her wonderful sails.

The Star Pride (former Seabourn) will be sailing Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam itineraries.