Galveston Rental Car

ProvoAggie

We are leaving in 2 weeks on the Navigator of the Seas. We have 4 people flying in (2 to each of the Houston airports). We found that the cheapest transportation for us was to just get a rental car in Houston and drop it off in Galveston. Has anyone else done this? How easy is it to get from the Enterprise place to the Cruise Port? I'm thinking that I can just drop the other 3 people off and then return the car but I don't know how hard it is to get back to the terminal. Looks like it's a 3.1 mile walk if all else fails.

We are leaving in 2 weeks on the Navigator of the Seas. We have 4 people flying in (2 to each of the Houston airports). We found that the cheapest transportation for us was to just get a rental car in Houston and drop it off in Galveston. Has anyone else done this? How easy is it to get from the Enterprise place to the Cruise Port? I'm thinking that I can just drop the other 3 people off and then return the car but I don't know how hard it is to get back to the terminal. Looks like it's a 3.1 mile walk if all else fails.

Did they charge a $100 drop fee ?

Did they charge a $100 drop fee ?

The drop fee on our way to Galveston is $24 which makes the total with taxes and stuff just under $150. We also have a car booked after the cruise that picks up in Galveston and drops off at IAH and it doesn't have a drop fee charge at all. I booked them a while back and when I've checked more recently they've had the $100 drop charge on them.

Ground transportation seems to be a big problem in Galveston compared to other ports. We got great prices on direct flights into HOU, but we get in early Saturday morning (9:30am) for a Sunday cruise. So taking a shuttle would leave us "stranded" at a hotel for most of Saturday, and then still needing a taxi to the port on Sunday. And our return on the following Sunday is an evening flight (8:30pm) so again, we'd be stranded in the airport for most of that day.

We decided to rent a car. I looked at renting a car from HOU and dropping off in Galveston, then picking up a rental at the end of the cruise in Galveston and dropping off at HOU. The only rental agency in Galveston is Enterprise, and they charge drop fees, plus their hours of operation seem to be a bit narrow. I ended up just getting a deal to rent from Hertz out of HOU for the entire week and we'll park by the cruise terminal. Total cost will be around $300, which is a little more than what we pay for shuttle transfers, but this way, we have our own transportation on arrival Saturday and departure Sunday to see the sites.

Ground transportation seems to be a big problem in Galveston compared to other ports. We got great prices on direct flights into HOU, but we get in early Saturday morning (9:30am) for a Sunday cruise. So taking a shuttle would leave us "stranded" at a hotel for most of Saturday, and then still needing a taxi to the port on Sunday. And our return on the following Sunday is an evening flight (8:30pm) so again, we'd be stranded in the airport for most of that day.

We decided to rent a car. I looked at renting a car from HOU and dropping off in Galveston, then picking up a rental at the end of the cruise in Galveston and dropping off at HOU. The only rental agency in Galveston is Enterprise, and they charge drop fees, plus their hours of operation seem to be a bit narrow. I ended up just getting a deal to rent from Hertz out of HOU for the entire week and we'll park by the cruise terminal. Total cost will be around $300, which is a little more than what we pay for shuttle transfers, but this way, we have our own transportation on arrival Saturday and departure Sunday to see the sites.

If it was just me and my wife then we'd just rent for the week and park it. We have my inlaws though and with that comes luggage for 4 and a mobility scooter that also needs transported so we got a mini van. It's like $700 for the week. We too our getting in a day early and then staying in Houston for 2 days after so we also need the car. I'm thinking I'll just walk to the port from Enterprise after I drop it off.

We booked a one way IAH / Galveston a couple months ago for our Oct cruise through Enterprise - the drop fee was $25 (currently it is substantially higher if it's even available) - Enterprise quoted me $30 to shuttle to the pier (the pier charges a premium to them) but said I could be dropped at a hotel for free. I did some research and found that The Strand is walking distance to the pier (with a pedestrian bridge crossing over railroad tracks).

My plan is to drop the luggage off at the port of call with the porters, then drive to Enterprise & shuttle to The Strand, and walk to the pier.

I also checked with Yellow Cab Galveston & was quoted $13 from Enterprise to the pier should I decide to do that (inclement weather or whatever).

My understanding is the port of Galveston is charging premiums for transportation services to drop off and has made it impossible even for Uber drivers to pick up and or drop off there. I'm not sure what the problem is. But it is a shame.

If it was just me and my wife then we'd just rent for the week and park it. We have my inlaws though and with that comes luggage for 4 and a mobility scooter that also needs transported so we got a mini van. It's like $700 for the week. We too our getting in a day early and then staying in Houston for 2 days after so we also need the car. I'm thinking I'll just walk to the port from Enterprise after I drop it off.

Don't think so - very long walk - 3.7 miles and over an hour walk:eek:

We booked a one way IAH / Galveston a couple months ago for our Oct cruise through Enterprise - the drop fee was $25 (currently it is substantially higher if it's even available) - Enterprise quoted me $30 to shuttle to the pier (the pier charges a premium to them) but said I could be dropped at a hotel for free. I did some research and found that The Strand is walking distance to the pier (with a pedestrian bridge crossing over railroad tracks).

My plan is to drop the luggage off at the port of call with the porters, then drive to Enterprise & shuttle to The Strand, and walk to the pier.

I also checked with Yellow Cab Galveston & was quoted $13 from Enterprise to the pier should I decide to do that (inclement weather or whatever).

My understanding is the port of Galveston is charging premiums for transportation services to drop off and has made it impossible even for Uber drivers to pick up and or drop off there. I'm not sure what the problem is. But it is a shame.

Awesome. Thanks for the information. I'll try out your plan and see how it works.

the problem is the elected officials started charging a fee for every person that is dropped at the port, either by a parking lot shuttle, taxi, hotel shuttle, uber, or any other for profit outfit. another example of biting the hand that feeds you.

Not the elected officials; the Wharves board and the Port of Galveston.

No different than the Airports.