Need to be efficient in Stockholm-need advice!

Hi, and thank you advance for any help and advice.

We are in Stockholm for a very short time this August on the Emerald Princess. We are only there from 7am-2pm..meaning get back to the ship by 1pm really. We are docking at Frihamnen.

Want to visit the Vasa, Gamla Stan and City hall. The Vasa opens at 830A.

-Is it better to start off at the Vasa or end with the Vasa? Seeing different opinions...cruise crowd in morning so go later, or less crowded in the morning.

-Any information on what the fastest route is, what bus to take to the sites above?

-Worth going to City Hall? SInce it looks out of the way

We are in Stockholm for a very short time this August on the Emerald Princess. We are only there from 7am-2pm..meaning get back to the ship by 1pm really. We are docking at Frihamnen.

-Is it better to start off at the Vasa or end with the Vasa? Seeing different opinions...cruise crowd in morning so go later, or less crowded in the morning.

-Any information on what the fastest route is, what bus to take to the sites above?

-Worth going to City Hall? Since it looks out of the way

First of all, with so little time, I would definitely eliminate City Hall. Second, you MUST get to Vasa as soon as possible. The reason most people want to try and do it first is that they limit the amount of people in the building at one time. So if you get there later, you might not have time to get in, or if you do get in, you time maybe so short that you will not appreciate the entire experience. I would be at Vasa as soon as the doors open, spend an hour there,and then off to Gamla Stan. I know on certain days you might be able to view the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Palace (I believe it is about 12:00 on most days). So if you are out of Vasa say 9:30 or even 10, you can be in Gamla Stan in less than 1/2 an hour which gives you time to wander around there and get to know this wonderful section of Stockholm.

Here are a few of my pixs of this wonderful city. Hope you enjoy them

The Vasa Museum is simply extraordinary. A MUST see

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1357.mp4

The Royal Palace at the start of the section known as Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

A Guard out in front of the Palace, looking out over the city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

Gamla Stan is a maze of narrow cobblestone streets. Some teeming with people, and others hardly anyone there

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

If you have time, try and catch the Changing of the Guard ceremony

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.mp4

Cheers

Len

First of all, with so little time, I would definitely eliminate City Hall. Second, you MUST get to Vasa as soon as possible. The reason most people want to try and do it first is that they limit the amount of people in the building at one time. So if you get there later, you might not have time to get in, or if you do get in, you time maybe so short that you will not appreciate the entire experience. I would be at Vasa as soon as the doors open, spend an hour there,and then off to Gamla Stan. I know on certain days you might be able to view the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Palace (I believe it is about 12:00 on most days). So if you are out of Vasa say 9:30 or even 10, you can be in Gamla Stan in less than 1/2 an hour which gives you time to wander around there and get to know this wonderful section of Stockholm.

Here are a few of my pixs of this wonderful city. Hope you enjoy them

The Vasa Museum is simply extraordinary. A MUST see

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1357.mp4

The Royal Palace at the start of the section known as Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

A Guard out in front of the Palace, looking out over the city

Gamla Stan is a maze of narrow cobblestone streets. Some teeming with people, and others hardly anyone there

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

If you have time, try and catch the Changing of the Guard ceremony

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.mp4

Cheers

Len

Oh, didn't know that about Vasa. Thanks so much for that info! Will do!

We have the same issue. We will be in Stockholm on July 4, 2012, a Wednesday at the Stadsgarden. I would like to be at Vasa before they open, as you suggest. But how do I get there? The HOHOs dont start running until 10 AM according to my research. Should we just go for a taxi? Are taxi's in Stockholm reasonably priced? Will they be hovering around the port? Is a bus the best option?

My SIL wants to go to the "top of the globe." What's the best way to get there?

I visited Stockholm as a child and remember a spectacular place called Millesgarden. I have seen no references to this anyplace. Is it just unpopular?

We have the same issue. We will be in Stockholm on July 4, 2012, a Wednesday at the Stadsgarden. I would like to be at Vasa before they open, as you suggest. But how do I get there? The HOHOs dont start running until 10 AM according to my research. Should we just go for a taxi? Are taxi's in Stockholm reasonably priced? Will they be hovering around the port? Is a bus the best option?

I visited Stockholm as a child and remember a spectacular place called Millesgarden. I have seen no references to this anyplace. Is it just unpopular?

Ok, I have had a complete change of heart. We have only about 6 hours in port and it is our last port. We will be tired and it will be our last chance to shop. My current thinking is to go to the NK and to the Stockholm IKEA. Any suggestions how I would get to those places from the Stadsgarden pier?

Ok, I have had a complete change of heart. We have only about 6 hours in port and it is our last port. We will be tired and it will be our last chance to shop. My current thinking is to go to the NK and to the Stockholm IKEA. Any suggestions how I would get to those places from the Stadsgarden pier?

Stupid question but why go to Ikea?? Most things in there are manufactured by 3rd world countries, not in Sweden.

Basically you have two options.

1. Go by bus to nybroplan and then tram.

this will take about 26 minutes.

2. Go by bus to slussen and then switch to Djurgårdsfärjan

(=harbour ferry) this will take about 25-30 minutes.

Possibly faster if the ferry have more departures with the summer schedule (from June 18th) which probably will make this option

slightly faster.

Its a place with antiques, sculptures and etc,

It used to be the home of Swedish sculptor Carl Milles.

http://www.millesgarden.se/about-millesgarden.aspx

Millesgården is unfortunately quite far from the city center but

you can get there by a combination of subway and bus.

Which will take between 25 and 40 minutes,

Basically its the same wíth the globe. Its quite far away but

the subway can get you there is some 10 minutes from the central station (30 min from Vasamuseet). Sky view will probably require booking to guarantee a place.

http://www.globearenas.se/en/skyview/skyview_on_top_on_the_globe.aspx

My suggestion would be to do Vasa first then do the some shopping. NK is easy to get to by taking the tram from Vasamuseet. Ikea, Globen & Millesgården will most

likely take to much time. Especially Ikea. Besides Ikea probably mostly the same stuff as your Ikea at home.

We were also in Stockholm for a short period of time. We took the princess cruise shuttle to and from downtown. If I recall correctly you have to be careful with the taxis and settle on the price before you get in otherwise you may be ripped off. I did see some people sharing taxis together from the ship but we took the ship bus. There was a little line but we got on the buses quickly and were downtown in a flash. The best part of it was it was that they had to take us back so long as we were at the bus pick up spot by the last pick up time. There was a little bit of traffic but the ship waited for all of us on the ship transfer buses so it's safer than a taxi back in my opinion if you are worried about time.

We went straight to the Vasa via a ferry that was in front of the castle. The vasa is amazing. We also had plenty of time for shopping and a beer in the shopping streets behind the castle. We made it to the bus pick up spot in plenty of time.

We were also in Stockholm for a short period of time. We took the princess cruise shuttle to and from downtown. If I recall correctly you have to be careful with the taxis and settle on the price before you get in otherwise you may be ripped off. I did see some people sharing taxis together from the ship but we took the ship bus. There was a little line but we got on the buses quickly and were downtown in a flash. The best part of it was it was that they had to take us back so long as we were at the bus pick up spot by the last pick up time. There was a little bit of traffic but the ship waited for all of us on the ship transfer buses so it's safer than a taxi back in my opinion if you are worried about time.

We went straight to the Vasa via a ferry that was in front of the castle. The vasa is amazing. We also had plenty of time for shopping and a beer in the shopping streets behind the castle. We made it to the bus pick up spot in plenty of time.

I am not seeing a princess cruise shuttle listed as an excursion. Is this something that they told you about on board?

Correct. It isn't an excursion but rather a shuttle bus that they had. This was in 2009 but I would think they still have them as a lot of people used them. We had originally planned on a taxi until we saw the shuttle bus advertised on tv a few days before. I think it was $20 return. They took US dollars as it was the ship offering it. We paid the $20 cash when we got on the bus.

When we dock at the port (Sunday) there were several representatives from HOHO bus and boat. Based on the flyer info:

HOHOBoat is SEK100

HOHO Bus SEK 260

Combined Bus and Boat SEK 350 and starts at 10am.

However since we don't mind walking we decided to take the challenge of 15-20 minute from the port and took the ferry. Name is DJURGARDS FARJAN, you wont missed it it's by the bridge on Slussen and accross the street is the Gamla Stan where you can start wandering around. They started at 8:50am and every 20 minutes for 45 SEK. one way. I'm not sure if they have different schedule on weekdays. You can take the same route back to Gamla Stan. I suppose you can use Bus 76 as well if you don't want to walk. We were not able to do that since they have no service on Sundays.

Yes, the Princess shuttle bus dropped us off across the bridge from the castle. It's less than a 4 minute walk across the bridge to the castle. You can see the castle from the bus. We met our friends in front of the castle on the waterfront and we had no problems finding it from the bus stop.

-Worth going to City Hall? SInce it looks out of the way

We visited the City Hall (Stadshuset) and thought is worth it. Check out http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Sweden/Stockholms_Laen/Stockholm-173634/Things_To_Do-Stockholm-Stadshuset_City_Hall-BR-2.html for pics and reviews. We were in Stockholm for 2 days prior to our cruise so our time wasn't limited as yours is. You will have to decided what's most important to you. We enjoyed Vasa & Gamla Stan as well. You may want to send an email to Vasa with crowd questions they are very good about responding back. Have a great cruise!

As far as I can see Emerald Princess is docking at Stadsgarten 167 in all her August visits.

-Is it better to start off at the Vasa or end with the Vasa?

Whenever you go there, to be as time-efficient as possible in the Vasa Museum head straight for the information desk to find out the time of the next showing (in your language) of the terrific 25-minute film of how the ship was found, raised and restored. Then go to the theatre 5 minutes before 'showtime'.

There is also a 20 minute guided tour of the ship which is worth doing if you have the time. I'd say you can 'budget' for 60-75 minutes once in the museum if you get lucky with the times of the film and tour, 75-90 if you don't.

Good luck, Tony

This is very strange as I got my information from the port of Stockholm website http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/ It's true that sometimes there are changes but so far according to their lists, Stadsgarten 160 or 167 is where the emerald is supposed to dock most of the time. If this is not reliable information I'd also like to know.

Name is DJURGARDS FARJAN, you wont missed it it's by the bridge on Slussen and accross the street is the Gamla Stan where you can start wandering around.

Thanks for that specific bit of detailed information. I found the website with up to date information for visitors. http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/tickets-prices/

I'm on the same 7 - 2 schedule on July 4. I'm wondering if it's practical to take the ferry from the Vasa Museum to Skeppsholmen to see the Moderna Museet and then the National Museum as I walk back to Gamla Stan. Or am I trying to squeeze too much into our short 5 hour visit?

This is very strange as I got my information from the port of Stockholm website http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/ It's true that sometimes there are changes but so far according to their lists, Stadsgarten 160 or 167 is where the emerald is supposed to dock most of the time. If this is not reliable information I'd also like to know.

I called Princess and they told me it was Stadsgarten.

Stupid question but why go to Ikea?? Most things in there are manufactured by 3rd world countries, not in Sweden.

Not a stupid question. I am a recreational shopper. I enjoy IKEA in my hometown and thought that going to the one in Sweden would be a kick. I would definitely do it if it was close to everything else but I wont bother as it is out of the way. If I were there for a few days I would put it into my plan.

I called Princess and they told me it was Stadsgarten.

Thanks. Either Princess has no idea what they are talking about or they changed it. There goes my plan of action...will have to alter it a little.

Ok. Now I'm getting frustrated because seeing so many conflicting information on the boards.

So, now if we are docking at Stadsgarden, can someone tell me the fastest way to get these places in the following order?

Stadsgarden--> Vasa-->Gamla Stan-->Standsgarden

I see some posts say HOHO boats but they that take too long since it goes only in 1 direction, clockwise or counterclockwise, different posts are unclear which direction. And there are different companies. Though one says when there is a cruise ship docked, there will be a HOHO that will go straight to the Vasa? Will it also go straight to Gamla Stan from the Vasa? If not, It seems it would only make sense to do the HOHO boats if it runs counter-clockwise. Can someone verify?

Or should I take the bus to Slussen then use the ferry to Vasa and back to Gamla on the ferry and then the bus back to Stadsgarden?

Which routes take credit cards, where to buy tickets and which way we need to have cash. Not planning to buy Stockholm cards or transport cards as I hear it's not worth it for the limited sites we are going to. What do you think?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Archived