Camera Bag/Purse for Europe Air

knittinggirl

Anybody know if the airlines will accept those camera bags that looks like purses when flying overseas? I asked about bringing my camera bag, but they said it would be my carry-on. And they'd insist on checking my regular carry-on.

What's the largest purse you can bring in Europe?

Edited by knittinggirl

Alitalia is one of the worst to me so in that respect I think you are OK or at least better off on SAS. Just make sure your personal item and carry on each are under the weight and size limit. To that end I long ago mostly stopped using camera bags. Gear gets wrapped in clothing for padding inside my normal suitcase or backpack. It may sound silly but weigh your completely empty camera bag and look at it's size before you add anything. When European airlines are strict about tiny carry-ons every bit of padding that's not a sweater, underwear or pajamas really adds up. And, I've never had a piece of equipment damaged so at this point I'm pretty confident that it does not take a "camera" bag to protect gear.

I travel with a Haiku brand travel handbag that doubles as a camera bag. It is comfortable to carry, lightweight, and extremely well made. You can find Haiku online at Zappos, Amazon and the Haiku websites. I find that the storage and ease of use is superb for travel.

Traveled to SAS to Copenhagen 18 months ago. Had no problem with my camera bag under the seat. Mine is 24" long and 8" high. You can probably slide yours under the seat in front on its side.

Be sure you get to SAS check-in early: our connecting flight to Chicago was late-I got my suitcase 2 days later and my wife got hers 4 days later on the ship at our first stop!!

Glenn:cool:

FlySAS.com

SAS Airlines.

Couldn't find any dimensions for the small laptop bag or purse. The guy on the phone didn't help either.

Here are the Cabin Bag Allowances for SAS; not bad!:)

The first one's on us Some things in life are too important to check in. When you fly with SAS, you are always allowed one free piece of cabin baggage*.

Handbagage.jpg

• The following is the maximum size and weight for cabin baggage onboard SAS flights:
    • Height: 55 cm/22”
    • Width: 40 cm/16”
    • Depth: 23 cm/9”
    • Weight: 8 kg/17 lbs

*Infants under two years of age are not entitled to a cabin baggage allowance

• If you are flying to the US or Asia in SAS Plus or SAS Business, you can bring two pieces of cabin baggage onboard, each weighing up to 8 kg/17lbs.

• In addition to this allowance, all passengers are allowed to bring a handbag or small laptop bag onboard for free.
  • Liquids and gels in containers larger than 100 ml (3.38 oz.) are not allowed.
  • Some of our aircraft are small. If you fly on one, we may ask you to leave your cabin bag at the door, where it will be checked in and returned to you when you leave the aircraft.
  • There are certain things that you can’t carry on board depending on your departure country and destination. Read the rules for flights to and from:

Ed

Traveled to SAS to Copenhagen 18 months ago. Had no problem with my camera bag under the seat. Mine is 24" long and 8" high. You can probably slide yours under the seat in front on its side.

Be sure you get to SAS check-in early: our connecting flight to Chicago was late-I got my suitcase 2 days later and my wife got hers 4 days later on the ship at our first stop!!

Was the camera bag your carry-on?

We usually travel with a camera bag for under the seat and the wheelie for the overhead compartment.

Was the camera bag your carry-on?

We usually travel with a camera bag for under the seat and the wheelie for the overhead compartment.

The camera bag is my carry on-has cell phone chargers, plug converters, anything small. My wife has the wheely and it goes above.

Thanks for this recommendation - going to check it out. I really didn't want to spend more than $100 on a camera bag.

I have a $10 crossbody that was great for Europe and my big DSLR camera when I went during cold months, but the bag itself is bulky and really only looks good with a peacoat.

Won't look good with my summertime dresses and casual clothes for exploring ports so I will check out Haiku!

Do you wrap your camera in anything when using Haiku?

I travel with a Haiku brand travel handbag that doubles as a camera bag. It is comfortable to carry, lightweight, and extremely well made. You can find Haiku online at Zappos, Amazon and the Haiku websites. I find that the storage and ease of use is superb for travel.

• 2 months later...

Anybody try the Kelly Moore Riva purse while flying in Europe? It actually is designed to look like a purse, and I'm hoping it will pass for their small purse. When talking to the SAS rep, he wouldn't give me any specifics on what they consider a small purse.

• 2 months later...

Don't forget the Scottevest travel vest/jacket...I use mine to take my phone, tablet, some batteries, a couple of chargers and one of my NEX bodies out of the luggage.

Men's and women's styles in a wide range of configurations.

http://www.scottevest.com/?gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOinSsQCw1WJgb7o9qi1i0mB_GeeA_KBJUxwwfqVzFRQ7w_wcB

Dave

My Kelly Moore purse seemed to work in SAS from Copenhagen to the US. Good thing I got the small purse, because I had only a space about 10" wide under the seat in front of me. There was a box on one of about six inches that I suspect was the hardware for the computer screen on the back of the seat.

My Kelly Moore (their smallest) held only a body with two lenses. The third went in my wheelie.

Edited by knittinggirl

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lowepro Passport sling. Removeable camera box, zips open at the end to expand storage, 3 pockets on outside for documents etc. Adjustable shoulder strap, wears close to body. Very roomy but not over large.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I have a small camera backpack that I use. Holds body, 300 and 55 lens, flash and charger and my extra memory. Fits perfectly under seat and really light to carry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums