Ship time Vs Port time for Carnival Miracle to Mexican Riviera

fredlow1

I have read several threads on ship time vs port/local time but still have some questions. My questions are specific to Carnival (Preferably the Miracle) and the Mexican Riviera cruise.

1. I understand Carnival does not change its clocks to local port times and keeps the time of the embarkation port is that correct?

2. Port times for PV are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Are those times based on ship time or local time? For example will the ship leave port at 8 p.m. ship time or 8 p.m. PV time, which is two hours ahead and make it 10 p.m. local time?

3. Are the excursions based on local or ship time? I have an 11 a.m. excursion (through Carnival) so is that 11 a.m. ship time or local time? Since the ship arrives at 8 a.m. its already 10 am in PV which will only give us an hour to get up and ready and meet up for our excursion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carnival ships stay on the same time as home port.

If this is different you will be informed while on the ship as it is the Captain's prerogative to change if necessary, or if conditions warrant. The changed time will be the new ship time. Usually there will be an announcement and the time will be listed in the fun Times the night before.

Itinerary times are based on ship time. if the Captain changes the time zone observed on the ship for a port, the time in port will be the new ship time. You will hear announcements as to the time to return to the ship. Always ship time. Pay attention to ship time and only ship time.

Carnival sponsored excursions are based on ship time.

My World Clock shows Puerto Vallarta as 1 ONE hour ahead ONLY.

Mazatlan is same time as Pacific Coast.

It gets very confusing, so do make sure you understand difference.

When booking through Carnival, you need not worry at all.

When booking own excursions, make sure to factor in the time difference and time to travel to your meeting place.

Though vendors are aware of SHIP TIME, you will be booking on LOCAL TIME

Blessings,

Sam

We've been on 12 cruises with Carnival and have never had the ship time change for a port. It may happen but it is not my experience. We usually book our own excursions and each excursion company used ships time. They are all aware when the ship leaves and will get you back on time. I'm sure someone will have a story of missing the ship, but again we have not had any issues. Keep your watch on ship time and be aware of the time. If in doubt about what times tour leaves, ship time or local just ask the tour operator when you book. The ones we have used always had a number that you could call usually a toll free number.Just remember it is in the best interest of the ports to ensure a smooth experience for the cruise guests and in our experience the ports always work around ship time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My World Clock shows Puerto Vallarta as 1 ONE hour ahead ONLY.

Mazatlan is same time as Pacific Coast.

It gets very confusing, so do make sure you understand difference.

When booking through Carnival, you need not worry at all.

When booking own excursions, make sure to factor in the time difference and time to travel to your meeting place.

Though vendors are aware of SHIP TIME, you will be booking on LOCAL TIME

Blessings,

Sam

They don't turn the clocks forward for Spring until April 2nd. I have PV as Central time zone so 2 hours difference from Pacific time zone once the clocks change.

This is why I love these boards.

THANK YOU for info on time zone change.

I would have just assumed it is one hour on April 12 as it is today.

So, Miracle arrives at 8 am ( 10 am local ) we have zip line scheduled pick up at 11 am

It supposedly is only a 5-10 minute walk from the pier.

We have to hope for no delays disembarking, as this seems to be a very tight window.

Blessings,

Sam

This is why I love these boards.

THANK YOU for info on time zone change.

I would have just assumed it is one hour on April 12 as it is today.

So, Miracle arrives at 8 am ( 10 am local ) we have zip line scheduled pick up at 11 am

It supposedly is only a 5-10 minute walk from the pier.

We have to hope for no delays disembarking, as this seems to be a very tight window.

Blessings,

Sam

I just got off the Miracle on Saturday (great trip for the most part). We did two days at Cabo and one at PV. The time changes were a mess. The night that we left, the US (and everyone's phones) shifted to DST, but the Miracle did not. The Carnival app did not show the correct ship's time during this period, either, which just added to the confusion. The first two days in Cabo, the ship was one hour behind local time. Then, the night that we sailed to PV, we jumped ahead one hour, which still left us one hour behind local time in PV. We did not have to change our clock coming back, as Cabo is on Pacific time until they shift to DST next month.

It is unfortunate, as I saw advisories on board that said change your clocks between the two Cabo days, as well, so that is a definite possibility. Planning at this time would be difficult, but I think that you can plan on being one hour behind in PV, and Cabo may vary. Bring a watch or set your phone that it does not change time while ashore.

everyone needs to change their phone setting to take it off of "auto update of date and time" when they get on the ship. this keeps it on ship time no matter what from the day you got on the ship.

For iPhones the setting is under Settings- Date and Time - Set Automatically - change to OFF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem was not that setting - it is the auto update of daylight savings time that caused the problem. That occurred despite being in airplane mode. Most cruises will not have that problem - it was unique to cruises underway on 3/11.

Was on the miracle last month to Cabo PV and mazatlan. They did change time twice moving clock back one day and then forward again another day. Sorry dont remember for which ports. Definitely alll carnival excursions are based on ship time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the March 4 Riviera cruise on the Miracle and there were some time changes, which was strange as my past cruises on Carnival did not change time at all. I can't remember for certain (although I have my Fun Times at home) but I think we changed them an hour one way getting into Mazatlán, and then back the other way either at PV, or on the first sea day after that. My fitbit/watch did not want to update to the second change, but it did not matter as it went back again after that.

In general, the easiest thing to do was to use the Hub app (which I LOVED for other reasons as well) as it gave both local time and ship time right at the top of the screen.

One caveat though - we bought the last minute excursion offer on the ship of a Hop On Hop Off bus, and we were told the last bus ran at 3:30. I assumed that it was an excursion from Carnival and thus it was running on Carnival time. I was wrong, but so were a bunch of other people. As we were finishing lunch around 2:30 I said we needed to hurry up so that we could catch a bus to the cliff divers, and then get the last one to the port. As we headed down the street we saw the bus and waved excitedly. It waited for us and said that not only was it NOT the last bus, it was AFTER the last bus, as the last bus was at 3:30 Mazatlán time. They decided to send out that bus because about 20 people were still missing who had bought the excursion and they wanted to round us up.

The bus driver wanted good tips and reviews though, so they drove us to see the cliff divers. Tide was going out so there was no time to get off to watch them - we just watched from the top level of the double decker bus, and then we went back to port. Fortunately there was a big shopping area at the terminal so we had time to spend our money on souvenirs and drinks.