what to wear

Hi all, we're a family of 4 going on our 1st cruise to the caribbean onboard the celebration and I'm looking for some advice on the 'formal wear'. As someone that is always in shorts on hoilday's, what would be the acceptable attire for the captain's night and further formal dining nights, basically do I need to pack a suit?

quote from the thomsons published dress code for orion resturant

'whilst we dont insist that gentlemen wear a tie, we do ask that shorts, sportwear or sandals are not worn in the orion resturant'

on formal night the waiters will be in black tie, many passengers will wear a dinner suit, some wear formal highland dress a few in jacket & tie and some in collared shirt & chinos in the orion restaurant and for the captains reception in the broadway theatre

I often find that the kids enjoy scrubbing up for formal night...and v smart they look too

other than that anything goes (within reason) elsewhere on the ship....hope that helps

thanks for the quick reply, reading what you've posted above I probably don't need to pack the suit. I would be totally out of my comfort zone wearing a suit on holidays but don't mind wearing the trouser, shirt and possibly the tie for the captain's night. Is the captains night a black tie event? or can I wear just the trouser, nice shirt and tie, something that would suit a wedding reception

yes captains night is a black tie event but quite a few will wear trousers (no jeans) collared shirt (with or without a tie) for formal dinner in orion, dress is more casual in caribbean but there will be quite a few in dj's

on smart casual nights in caribbean the norm in orion would be trousers & open neck caribbean shirt or polo shirt

dress code only applies in orion resturant....the rest of the ship is 'go as you please'

I've never "dressed up" fully as like you, we're on our holidays!

In the MDR, I normally wear smart trousers and a shirt, and just pop a tie on too for the formal nights, so yep just like being at a wedding for me! Admittedly, on formal nights we only go in the MDR and don't go to the Captain's cocktail reception in the theatre, we did it once and found it a bit boring tbh. I suppose they still do it as it's from the bygone days of cruising.

Each to their own and all that.

I think you will find that many men do indeed dress up. On every cruise I have been on, Formal Night is seen with at least 50% of men in black tie.

Couldn't care less if people do not by the way.

Not wishing to fall out, but any Captains Reception is always well attended, and in my opinion far from a bygone age.

thanks for the quick reply, reading what you've posted above I probably don't need to pack the suit. I would be totally out of my comfort zone wearing a suit on holidays but don't mind wearing the trouser, shirt and possibly the tie for the captain's night. Is the captains night a black tie event? or can I wear just the trouser, nice shirt and tie, something that would suit a wedding reception

I am the same. I don't like dressing up but do wear black trousers shirt and Tie for the formal night. Most people are in Dinner Jacket or suits so I am a bit under dressed for the occasion but it's as far as I can go. My wife and Daughter like getting dressed up so I have no choice:D:D

I also take the view that most people on the cruise do like to be dressed up that night and although I would probably get away without the tie I do it to also respect them (it comes off once I leave) :)

it goes without saying that you can go the Lido and stay in shorts and tee-shirt if you don't want to bother at all with getting dressed up.

Have a great cruise I am sure you will love it.

again thanks for your replies, I'll probably leave the suit at home and just pack the trousers, shirt and tie for the captains night, I dont mind wearing the chino's or linen trousers at the meridian or mistral restaurants as I can always go and change back into shorts after food. It's the thought of wearing a suit on holidays that I can't quite get to grips with. As 1st time cruisers (usually do the holiday villages) we are really looking forward to the experience.

Almost sounds sometimes that wearing a jacket is as bad as going to the Dentist. Maybe a jacket for a couple of hours wouldn't ruin a holiday.

For us mojo the dressing up is part of the cruise experience. Whatever , I am sure you will have a great time, the problem is after the first cruise your hooked, well we were.

Don't stress over what to wear, when you ask that question, you get answers from the pro dress up and the non dress up. It's never ending on these boards, just concentrate on having a great time.

Ps a multi coloured bow tie always looks great.....

Edited by 1160451

Some comments I find so funny. I know first time cruisers want to fit in, not too long ago that was us, but my other half no longer has a suit and when ladies can get glammed up to look so cool and summery. He does not see why men have to be confined to suits and DJ's. He says he is on holiday and comfort should be the order of the day. Love people watching in Main Dining Room as folk come in dressed up to the nines, and love the chaps in their kilts!!

Almost sounds sometimes that wearing a jacket is as bad as going to the Dentist. Maybe a jacket for a couple of hours wouldn't ruin a holiday.

For us mojo the dressing up is part of the cruise experience. Whatever , I am sure you will have a great time, the problem is after the first cruise your hooked, well we were.

Don't stress over what to wear, when you ask that question, you get answers from the pro dress up and the non dress up. It's never ending on these boards, just concentrate on having a great time.

Ps a multi coloured bow tie always looks great.....

As you can probably tell I'm not one for taking a jacket anyway, shirt trousers and a tie is as far as I'm willing to go on holiday, but there is an argument for the measly baggage allowance restricting the option for taking a jacket, that you're only going to get a couple of hours wear from each week.

Not so bad if you're on a weeks' cruise, but if you're on for 14 nights, or more, as we were last year and this year, it's a struggle with the baggage allowance as it is!

Edited by BaggersCruising

quote from the thomsons published dress code for orion resturant

'whilst we dont insist that gentlemen wear a tie, we do ask that shorts , sportswear or sandals are not worn in the Orion restaurant'

...Now you tell me :eek:

fashionpolice-1.jpg

Don't go on P&O then Gill! Dave has just asked if he can wear his Santa tie on Christmas night :eek::eek::

I would have thought a Santa tie was COMPULSORY on Christmas night.

I hope everyone has noticed how we all have different views BUT none of us have fallen out or resorted to name calling.;)

Go us.:cool::rolleyes::D

I hope everyone has noticed how we all have different views BUT none of us have fallen out or resorted to name calling.;)

It should be! We won't be there for Christmas night as we disembark 2 days before, but i've still bought a musical christmas tie!

PS. If you think the P&O board on this forum was bad, you should have been a member on the P&O cruises facebook group. It was terrible on there, so much so that a new one popped up which is a lot more friendly, P&O Cruise Fans, and thankfully has all the decent P&O cruises on.

As you can probably tell I'm not one for taking a jacket anyway, shirt trousers and a tie is as far as I'm willing to go on holiday, but there is an argument for the measly baggage allowance restricting the option for taking a jacket, that you're only going to get a couple of hours wear from each week.

Not so bad if you're on a weeks' cruise, but if you're on for 14 nights, or more, as we were last year and this year, it's a struggle with the baggage allowance as it is!

And then there's the smart shoes to wear with the suit!