Carnival Adding Amber Cove!

jwalk03

Looks like Carnival will send its first Carnival ships to Amber Cove in the DR starting in October 2015.

Calls will be included on some of the following ship's itineraries from 10/15- 4/16:

Breeze, Victory, Glory, Splendor, Conquest, Sunshine, Valor, Fantasy

I'm pretty excited for this new port! Can't wait to visit.

Edited by jwalk03

We were on Costa Maya as one of the first ships to visit there. It was not very well developed then. I think I would wait untill a few ships have visited and the cove was finished developed first.

I LOVED Costa Maya when it wasn't "as developed". It was laid back, uncrowded, and pleasing. Now, that Welcome Center is like an out of control flea market. Areas that once were wide walking paths are now crowded with tented shops selling the same junk as the shop right next door. Thankfully Mahahual is still sleepy and laid back, and a great nearby place to escape to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival loves their shopping corrals where they use the fear factor to keep pax from going beyond the walls.

They are just trying to maximize the squeeze on pax wallets so they can get their share.

Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize, Falmouth and now "Amber Cove" -it's the Carnival model. It would be wonderful if during one cruise stop none of the passengers stays within Carnival's boundaries and everyone ventures out into the countryside to really experience what that particular port is all about. Meet some locals, eat local foods, buy at local shops, what a dream.

I LOVED Costa Maya when it wasn't "as developed". It was laid back, uncrowded, and pleasing. Now, that Welcome Center is like an out of control flea market. Areas that once were wide walking paths are now crowded with tented shops selling the same junk as the shop right next door. Thankfully Mahahual is still sleepy and laid back, and a great nearby place to escape to.

We're with you Tapi. We were at Costa Maya twice before the hurricane when the roads were dirt and the speed bumps were large ropes stretched across the road.

It is still one of our favorite stops.

We go through the port shops and catch a cab/bus to Majahual and enjoy our day sitting under a palapa on the beach, enjoying the local food and drinks.

Carnival loves their shopping corrals where they use the fear factor to keep pax from going beyond the walls.

They are just trying to maximize the squeeze on pax wallets so they can get their share.

Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize, Falmouth and now "Amber Cove" -it's the Carnival model. It would be wonderful if during one cruise stop none of the passengers stays within Carnival's boundaries and everyone ventures out into the countryside to really experience what that particular port is all about. Meet some locals, eat local foods, buy at local shops, what a dream.

Falmouth is mostly a Royal port built to accommodate their humongous ships. It is easy enough to leave the port areas in Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize,... Earlier this month we did just that in Roatan and Belize.