tours in india

nbhwarrior

Hi TA's

can anyone recommend any reliable quality private tours and tour companies in India, will be going to cochin, mangalore, goa and Mumbai.

thanks

Hi Nbhwarrior,

We used Grand Mumbai Tours, when we visited Mumbai. I can thoroughly reccomend them. Right from our first dealings with the owner Pranav, you knew you were dealing with someone who was passionate about his city and giving his guests a wonderful time. He answers your enquiries quickly and is flexible when it comes to seeing what you want to see, and gives great advice if you need it. Pranav is honest, witty, articulate, friendly and adaptable. He loves to talk cricket, Bollywood and West End musicals, but more importantly about his city and his country. His car and driver were really good as well. We spent 1.5 days with him, and feel we have a friend for life!

Grand Mumbai Tours are currently #2 on Tripadvisor & can be found @ grandmumbai.com. If you do contact him please say G'day from Deb:D

In Kochi, we used kochi magic.com - who are the same people who run Mumbai magic. We had a great day looking around old Kochi, then lunch on a boat in the backwaters. What we saw was fabulous. Our day in Kochi was great, but that also had a lot to do with the 6 others who toured with us, and less to do with the personality of our guide. He was good and everything was organised well but he lacked a sparkle and enthusiasm for what he was doing. We found this tour operator was less flexible & friendly, (especially for Mumbai tours - that's why I went with Grand Mumbai - and can be quite abrupt......almost rude:confused:) but it delivered what they said they would.They also run tours in the other cities you mentioned.

Whatever you decide to go with, I hope you have an amazing time in this incredible country. :)

Hi TA's

can anyone recommend any reliable quality private tours and tour companies in India, will be going to cochin, mangalore, goa and Mumbai.

thanks

We used Mumbai Magic in Mumbai and loved them.http://mumbaimagic.com

For the other ports, we had great success with

http://www.daytoursincochin.com

Here is my review of our cruise, which includes all tours.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501167

In Goa, we just organised a taxi at the port as there were many there & he took us to the old town for a brief look around & then to a popular beach for more free time. Not a tour as such but was good value.

In Cochin there were many taxis as well as tuk tuks at the port. We did a tuk tuk tour which turned out to be a real highlight. The driver was a real gentleman & provided us with lots of great places to see and had a lot of fun in the process.

In Goa, we just organised a taxi at the port as there were many there & he took us to the old town for a brief look around & then to a popular beach for more free time. Not a tour as such but was good value.

In Cochin there were many taxis as well as tuk tuks at the port. We did a tuk tuk tour which turned out to be a real highlight. The driver was a real gentleman & provided us with lots of great places to see and had a lot of fun in the process.

In Cochin, if you don't do the houseboat cruise with lunch, you missed something very nice.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone toured the caves of Mumbai? My wife and I are considering seeing them and would like to know which are best to see. We will only have about 9 hours because we are arriving on a cruise ship and must be back on board before it leaves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone toured the caves of Mumbai? My wife and I are considering seeing them and would like to know which are best to see. We will only have about 9 hours because we are arriving on a cruise ship and must be back on board before it leaves.

Hi LTLBrissie

I didn't do the caves tours when in Mumbai, but I would suggest to you to organise your tour there with a tour operator. With just 9 hours in this chaotic, amazing, incrediable city I wouldn't risk doing it on your own.

I can reccomend that you have a chat to Pranav, the owner/operater of Grand Mumbai Tours, (currently #2 on Tripadvisor) who will be more than happy to suggest and help organise a tour that you wish to do. I'm sure other tour operators can get you there (just make sure they do what you want- not what they suggest) but I would definetly use local help.

I hope you have an amazing time in Mumbai and lovely cruise

Deb:D

grandmumbai.com

Edited by wangeling gal

Hi LTLBrissie

I didn't do the caves tours when in Mumbai, but I would suggest to you to organise your tour there with a tour operator. With just 9 hours in this chaotic, amazing, incrediable city I wouldn't risk doing it on your own.

I can reccomend that you have a chat to Pranav, the owner/operater of Grand Mumbai Tours, (currently #2 on Tripadvisor) who will be more than happy to suggest and help organise a tour that you wish to do. I'm sure other tour operators can get you there (just make sure they do what you want- not what they suggest) but I would definetly use local help.

I hope you have an amazing time in Mumbai and lovely cruise

Deb:D

grandmumbai.com

Thank you wangeling gal, I will see if Grand Mumbai Tours can give me some options.

Regards Shane

On this same segment of WC. I have never been to India but have cruised Bangkok to Beijing/Bali to Osaka where there are way too many people in too small of space. We are considering just taking the ship's tours because of concern of getting back with the chaos of traffic . Remembering a year ago when on bus trying to get back to port. We were very close but no amount of skill on the driver's part (AND HE WAS FANTASTIC getting that bus in places I would not try a motorcycle) could get us to the port. Finally 1/2 hour late on a ship tour (AZ) we walked 1/2 mile to board the ship. Not the only time that we spent way too much time sitting in horrible traffic. Am I correct to expect this type of traffic in Indian ports? If so maybe the "will wait for you" argument of the husband is going to work on me.

what do you think? Private tour or ship tour? Also with 5 O-life excursions offer then buy 6th and the price comes down for the rest -- will that change the amount of private tours going out. In a muddle of choosing right now.

Hi Bowie MeMe, my wife and I always book the tours to return an hour before the ship departs. With that said we take note of the time it takes us to travel to our last destination and the distance to the ship which will determine when we should be heading back. This way if there is any delay you are pretty much covered. I would not do the ship shore excursion out of principle as their prices are usually twice if not more to what you would pay a local person. I hope this helps with your choice.

This is the second largest city in Japan and you can just get off the ship and walk around the port area OR you can catch the subway/train and visit the

Osaka Castle, has a lift and the views from the top are great

the castle is a 5 min. walk from the Morimomiya station on the JR Osaka loop

Sounds hard but there are people in the station to help you buy your ticket and give directions.

Visit the Umeda Sky Building, it is a pair of tall buildings connected midair

the basement has a neat 1920 30 village and also inexpensive food

Also the train station had a wonderful flower show when we were there and it so unexpected in a train station.

Just wander the city it is an amazing place.