With the Sunshine change~What is there to do in Bonaire

TNCruzer56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, is there really not much to see on the island other than snorkeling/diving? DW has very poor eyesight and can't see anything without her glasses (and most snorkeling operators don't provide snorkel masks with corrective glass in them). Sounds like the best thing for us is to just make this a beach day unless the main town at the port has some sights to see (or shopping for DW). Are there any grocery stores near the port for purchasing Dutch products??

Edited by Out to sea!

• 2 weeks later...
So, is there really not much to see on the island other than snorkeling/diving? DW has very poor eyesight and can't see anything without her glasses (and most snorkeling operators don't provide snorkel masks with corrective glass in them). Sounds like the best thing for us is to just make this a beach day unless the main town at the port has some sights to see (or shopping for DW). Are there any grocery stores near the port for purchasing Dutch products??

Are you aware that one can purchase snorkel/dive masks with corrective lenses for about $70? I have had a pair for over 15 years and it was a great investment (wish we had done this years ago). DW and I both have our own snorkel gear which paid for themselves after having been used only 2 or 3 times. Since the water distorts everything, corrective diving lenses do not need to be perfect...but just close to your regular script.

Hank

Are you aware that one can purchase snorkel/dive masks with corrective lenses for about $70? I have had a pair for over 15 years and it was a great investment (wish we had done this years ago). DW and I both have our own snorkel gear which paid for themselves after having been used only 2 or 3 times. Since the water distorts everything, corrective diving lenses do not need to be perfect...but just close to your regular script.

Hank

Yes, we are aware having looked into it a few years ago but the only time we have ever snorkeled is on cruises and DW decided it wasn't worth the money to only get a few cruises out of them. Thanks for the heads up though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi-

We were just in Bonaire and never left the port area. There's a lovely walk along the water, which is so transparent you see plenty of sea life. The main street in town has a lot of cutesy shops, which are fun to browse. Look for the local craft--painted gourds. I picked up a neat Xmas ornament. For an overview of walkable highlights from the ABC piers and photos, you might visit my blogspot blog, Musing About Cruising.

I have to say that of our 15 Caribbean cruises, Bonaire has one of the nicest port areas.- Diana

• 1 month later...