Manhattan hotels, booking early or....not so early?

MAKINGWAVES

We cruise 9-20-2015. I started looking in the spring to get idea what the prices would be.One in particular we are looing at was in the $185.00 to $225.00 range. As summer came on, it became $$240. to $300.00 plus. Now, one year away from our cruise, it is showing $525.00. I thought it would be cheaper the futher out you booked. I guess that's not the case.I don't mind using Priceline or Hotwire but I want the option of canceling should I want to. Let me hear your experiences in booking a room and how far out you did it.

Thanks.....

We are trying to find something under $200 for the night of Oct. 25 (Saturday night) and the prices are crazy. We are watching everyday to see if something comes up. We have even looked at hostels and B&B's but nothing yet.

Hotwire is showing two hotels for your date at about $210 plus tax for 10/25 that have high approval ratings - one is near the Empire State and the other on the Lower East side.

Honestly, there's no way to tell. You're a month out. That's getting pretty close. Expecting to pay $200 for a hotel room in New York during October, which is high season, is very optimistic. I would expect those rooms that are showing today to be gone soon. Only you can decide when to pull the trigger.

We booked through Hotwire and got the Westin Grand Central Station for $225 all in - we're ok with that.

We also booked the train from Albany to Penn Station - so we will have to find our way from Penn Station to the Westin.

We will have Saturday evening and all day Sunday to enjoy NYC before leaving on our cruise on Monday