Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar?

cruise cutie7519

Has anyone ever taken that one? It's in Grand Cayman. We are taking the Pride on the 30th and my family has planned on taking that one. Because then its easier for my parents to go into the water with me. My parents are those older parents.

I just suggested this to them (about swimming with stingrays) as I have a major phobia with them and I think if I can get into the water with one and get to touch one it might maybe help my phobia. I've never been stung by one (Thank heaven) I just don't know why I have this phobia with them.

Now I keep hearing before I got brave enough to ask that. The people that took these tours had a blast and had a great time.

Plus my dad said these aren't the ones with the Barbs? (I call them stingers) He also said they wouldn't allow us to get into the water with them if they had the stingers.

Has anyone ever taken that one? It's in Grand Cayman. We are taking the Pride on the 30th and my family has planned on taking that one. Because then its easier for my parents to go into the water with me. My parents are those older parents.

I just suggested this to them (about swimming with stingrays) as I have a major phobia with them and I think if I can get into the water with one and get to touch one it might maybe help my phobia. I've never been stung by one (Thank heaven) I just don't know why I have this phobia with them.

Now I keep hearing before I got brave enough to ask that. The people that took these tours had a blast and had a great time.

Plus my dad said these aren't the ones with the Barbs? (I call them stingers) He also said they wouldn't allow us to get into the water with them if they had the stingers.

One of the best excursions we have ever done!! You are not going to believe the clarity of the water. I have been on a number of cruises & have never seen water so beautiful!!!

The guys doing the tour are very good and will put you at ease. While there were a number of stingrays around, I did not have one that ever touched me. By the end of the tour I was one of the people who let one take food out of my hand...:D. Just awesome!!

I am 61 years young so having a boat we could walk into the water and not have to climb a ladder was also important to me.

I would go back to GC just to do this excursion again!!!

I recommend booking the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick. I've used them 3 times and each trip has been fantastic! Great personalized service, a great price and smaller number of people.

Look them up on the web.

Jim

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Did this excursion in Grand Cayman while on a Feb 2014 cruise, it was a great experience. Booked it through Carnival, it was MarineLand Tours, I liked that there was a set of stairs all the way across the back of the boat making getting in and out of the water easy. The first time a stingray swam by and bumped my legs I freaked out a little but got used it quickly. Most do have the barbs but once the ray stings they die (I think the tour guide told me this) so unless you step on them they don't tend to sting, first thing guides tell you is "not to jump around while in the water". Enjoyed being in the water, not a swimmer, didn't need a life jacket as the water was only waist deep. Tour guides are informative and know how to handle the stingrays.:)

We did this in February, through Carnival. The price was very competitive with booking on our own (which we usually do) so we just went with it. The boat was clean and had a bathroom. Everything was done very professionally. There were a ton of boats there when we arrived so had to anchor a bit out. I'm only 5'2' and the water was over my head - I'm a good swimmer but since you're not supposed to be swimming it was a bit tricky.... Many people actually went back on the boat to get life vests (which they provide). With that said, it really was a great excursion, especially for the price. We would do it again!

Did this exact excursion last week and it was great!

Boat was in great shape, had an upper open deck and covered lower. Dock was a quick 15 min ride(non a/c) on a trolley looking bus. The guides were great and explained everything perfectly. Water was chest high and the stingrays were very friendly. Think the excursion listed it as 2.5 hrs, but we were only in the ocean for about 30-45 min. Hour and a half was travel time( bus, boat back and forth)

Edited by mrneil001

We did this through Capt. Marvins. Had a good time, but the boat we went on only had a ladder to climb back onto the small boat. There were 10 of on board which made it nicer. I would recommend Marvin, but if I did it with anyone overweight or seniors with any climbing problems, the stairs would be an easier trip.

The only thing to fear with the rays is not to step on them. Just keep your feet in one place and there is nothing to fear. DW does not like the water but she put up with it and our guide actually caught some rays and we had pictures taken with them on our backs and kissing them. Very strange, but very unusual. One of my most memorable excursions.

You might want to post this on the Grand Cayman board for more info. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

We've booked through the ship, and with a private vendor (can't remember the name).

Just beautiful there. These pics are from 2010. I did not get in the water that time...silly me!

CRUISE_2010054.jpg

Boats meeting up at the sandbar

CRUISE_2010116.jpg

Our second trip back to GC, we booked through the ship - and I swam with the stingrays. It was awesome! The boat (if it's the same blue and yellow) has a staircase which makes it easier to get in and out of the water.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Yes we have went with MarineLand Tours on the Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar excursion 3 times. It is by far our favorite excursion. We go with them because it makes it easier to get in and out of the boat with the steps. The guides are just wonderful and so patient. They will take photos for you. I can't say enough good things about this excursion

Most do have the barbs but once the ray stings they die (I think the tour guide told me this) so unless you step on them they don't tend to sting, first thing guides tell you is "not to jump around while in the water".

These are the same kind of stingrays that are all over the ocean. They all have their tails with the barbs still on them. They are wild but come there to be fed. Fishermen use to clean their fish there and it attracted the rays. Now they come when they hear the boats coming in, knowing that they will be fed.

First off, they don't sting. Their tails have barbs on them. Remember Steve Irwin killed by the barb breaking off and hitting him in the chest. The only way they can hurt you is by them whipping their tail at you. The guides will tell you not to lift up your feet because you could step on one. They tell you to shuffle your feet when you walk.

To us, they felt like giant pieces of rubber when they swim up next to you. Surprisingly, they are just like cats. They like to rub up against you. It's an experience you'll never forget. If you do what the guides tell you to do, it's very safe and enjoyable.

The guides will tell you not to lift up your feet because you could step on one. They tell you to shuffle your feet when you walk.

My dad told me the same. Just shuffle your feet. But to me if you shuffle your feet it feels like if you hit them with sand they will like swing at you with their tail. But I guess these rays know if you shuffle they get away.

A few things here:

Shuffling your feet is because the rays like to rest on the bottom, sometimes submerged in the sand with only their eyes exposed. By shuffling, you will kick enough sand to disturb them and alert them to move on.

The barb on the rays tail breaks off when it comes into contact with something, like your leg if you are harassing them or another animal that tries to eat them. They do NOT die if this happens, but it can take months for them to grow a new barb. In that time, they can be prey for other sea creatures, like sharks, as they have no defense.

There are many different kinds of rays, but the Southern Stingray is the one that you see most there. They are really docile and like free food. As long as you don't step on one, scaring it, making it think you are a predator, they will not hit you with the barb.

A few things here:

Shuffling your feet is because the rays like to rest on the bottom, sometimes submerged in the sand with only their eyes exposed. By shuffling, you will kick enough sand to disturb them and alert them to move on.

The barb on the rays tail breaks off when it comes into contact with something, like your leg if you are harassing them or another animal that tries to eat them. They do NOT die if this happens, but it can take months for them to grow a new barb. In that time, they can be prey for other sea creatures, like sharks, as they have no defense.

There are many different kinds of rays, but the Southern Stingray is the one that you see most there. They are really docile and like free food. As long as you don't step on one, scaring it, making it think you are a predator, they will not hit you with the barb.

That makes me feel a little better that won't attack unless they feel threaten.

I recommend booking the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick. I've used them 3 times and each trip has been fantastic! Great personalized service, a great price and smaller number of people.

Look them up on the web.

Jim

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Just used Moby Dick week before last. They were wonderful. Glad we made this choice.

• 2 weeks later...