In GC with 80yr Mom...need excursion ideas

going2alaska

We will be in GC at end of April. Docking in Georgetown from 7am-3pm.

Could use some suggestions on what to do. Will be celebrating moms 80th. I know that the stingrays are widely popular, but, do not think mom can handle that as she is having some mobility issues & never was a fan of water activities.

Any suggestions on another activity that would make GC an enjoyable visit! Thank You!

I would look into some sort of bus tour...where she doesn't have to be mobile! There is shopping across from the tender dock, if she can manage walking on level ground.

Otherwise, I'd ask her what SHE wants to do! She may enjoy staying on the ship while most of the other passengers are gone for the day!

Thank you CB. I'll see what bus tours there are or if anyone has been on one and can recommend. Yes, we plan to do some shopping...she will be fine with that.

It will be her birthday the day we are in GC...so, no way will she be left alone on ship...she has made that already clear, but, not sure what she wants to do while on GC.

I don't know HOW limited her mobility is, but we found a highly recommended tour company for the stingrays who have a boat with stairs that lower in back with railings. They got great reviews on both the Carnival site and TripAdvisor. They are called Marineland Tours: http://www.marinelandtours.com/

thumb4_bn-1357325334CaymanExplorerstairs.jpg

Cayman%20Explorer%20vessel(2).png

The excursion isn't that long, especially if you go early in the morning, and leave time for other stuff! They have tables inside and an upper observation deck and two bathrooms. Maybe she could sit on or float near the steps, or hold on to the railing? Shoot, I'd even ask if you could bring a pool noodle sling chair:

eclectic-swimming-pools-and-spas.jpg

Or if she is into a spa day, I know the Ritz, the Marriott, and the Westin for sure have nice spas! maybe a ittle pampering? A nice, gentle massage, a mani-pedi, a little girly day? Could be combined with lunch and shopping later!

Edited by NOLAbebe

As I am thinking about it, I believe GC is a tender port. You should definitely make sure she can access the tender boat! I have heard that they can be difficult to board for some people. I would verify with the cruise line that she can even get onto it from the ship, for sure.

One last thing: they have submarine tours and a botanical garden there.

Good luck! Happy Birthday in advance to your mom! I hope she has an AWESOME dayM

Thank you for all your suggestions NolaBebe! I will look into that Sting Ray Tour Company. I do think she will be okay to get in and out of boats with some help. Since we will have some men with us, they should help with that.

Spa day sounds wonderful, but, will probably do that at another port.

Thank you for the other suggestions!

Just because people go on a stingray catamaran excursion doesn't mean they actually have to get into the water to swim with them.

They are easy to see from the catamaran and normally a crew member will hold a stingray up for those staying to board to pet and see close up. :)

LuLu