Citadel in Quebec or Halifax

Cindy fan

We are going on a Canada New England cruise that stops in these two ports among others. I am trying to prioritize things to see in Quebec and Halifax. We would like to see the changing of the guard in one of the two ports. Do you have a recommendation as to which fort would be more enjoyable for two Tweens, their parents and two senior citizens, one in a wheelchair.

We can disembark our ship in Quebec at 9ish. To view the changing of the guard it appears we will need to go to the citadelle immediately when it opens. Is this correct? How would you recommend we get there? We will have my two children and parents with us. My father will be in a wheelchair. Can we take his wheelchair on the bus? On a related note, if we walk back towards the ship, can we take the wheelchair on the funicular? He can transfer and it does fold.

We can disembark our ship in Quebec at 9ish. To view the changing of the guard it appears we will need to go to the citadelle immediately when it opens. Is this correct? How would you recommend we get there? We will have my two children and parents with us. My father will be in a wheelchair. Can we take his wheelchair on the bus? On a related note, if we walk back towards the ship, can we take the wheelchair on the funicular? He can transfer and it does fold.

When I started reading the post I would have said that you had time to walk. However, leaving the ship at 9ish it would be a brisk walk. A taxi would work if the driver can put the wheelchair in the trunk.

I'd agree - if your father can stand & walk a little, then with a folding chair any transportation mode is possible for him BUT to get to the Citadelle enough before 10am that you can get your tickets, find a good spot to stand, organize cameras etc. and still have time to breathe a cab would be much, much simpler.

The funicular is wheelchair accessible, but be aware that there are lots of cobbled area near it both above and below. Especially if it's one of the folding chairs with small wheels, like supermarket trolleys, it would be a Bad Idea to travel on cobblestones. We made that mistake once hiring a wheelchair for my grandmother without specifying wheel size/type and had a very awkward time.

Also bear in mind that there are practical limits and specific exemptions from ADA type requirements for historic buildings, and there are lots and lots of those in QC!

The site I was looking at appears to be inaccurate. We get in at 7 I believe. Probably the earliest I could get everyone off the ship is 8. So, would it be better to take cabs and how much would that be for 6 or the bus? Also I did not think the citadels opened until 10

With almost two hours, busing might be plausible - but when you have a larger group cabs usually work out as cheap or cheaper than transit tickets anyway. Buses are $3.25pp cash for anyone over 6, unless you want to deal with picking up reloadable OPUS/Ocasionelle cards. Locals - has the Ecolobus ceased to run? Nothing about it on RTC website...

Taxi would be approx. $11 including tip (metered, but rates are set so it's just traffic that's an issue). A cab that would fit six will be much rarer than regular cars so you may have to split the group and either pay two cab fares or have a couple of able-bodied people walk - which can still be quicker than taking the bus.

You really should confirm your dates & cruiseline though so we can help you further - bus schedules vary, kids ride free on weekends so prices can too, and which pier you're docked at can make a big difference in Quebec.