bus at Boston's port

crazyforcookies

The bus line is called the "Silver Line", and it's part of the regional transit system (the MBTA, aka "The T"). There's a stop just east of the Black Falcon Terminal building, a short walk from the terminal. The general fare is currently $2.10. You can take the Silver Line bus to South Station (less than 15 minutes, typically).

From South Station, Quincy Market is about a 15 minute walk; or you can transfer to the Red Line (subway), and as long as you don't exit the fare area, the transfer is free. State Street station is the closest subway stop to Quincy Market, but you'd have to take two different subway lines (Red Line to Downtown Crossing, Orange Line to State Street). It probably would not save you any time to take the subway, but it would be a shorter walk.

For the return trip, get the Silver Line at South Station, and be sure you take a bus marked "SL2" which is the Silver Line branch that serves the seaport district.

The Silver line fare is $2.10 only with a Charlie Card that has preloaded money on it. If you just drop into Boston for the day, the fare is $2.65 for a Charlie Ticket to get on the Silver Line.

The Silver line fare is $2.10 only with a Charlie Card that has preloaded money on it. If you just drop into Boston for the day, the fare is $2.65 for a Charlie Ticket to get on the Silver Line.

Ooops. Yes, that's right, I was thinking of the fare with the plastic Charlie Card, which is $2.10. Yes, the regular fare is $2.65.

Can you get a Charlie card at the black falcon terminal

No, you can't get a Charlie Card (plastic) at the terminal. You can get a Charlie Ticket (paper) on the bus, and I'm not sure, but you might be able to pay a single cash fare in coins on the bus. I hear that you can get a Charlie Card in advance by mail, and load it with an online account, but that's hearsay; I've never tried. Maybe someone else has done it and can advise you.

You may be able to get a Charlie Card at South Station. Unfortunately, they make Charlie Cards difficult to obtain, and for a daytripper in Boston, it's probably not worth the rigamarole. Several MBTA employees have told me that the customer service window at Downtown Crossing is the only place you can get a card, but their information is notoriously unreliable. I've obtained cards at North Station, but it's very unpredictable.

For most purposes, the card and ticket are interchangeable except for the fare, which is lower with the Charlie Card.

You'll need to pay $2.65/pp cash at the port.

Once you're at Quincy Market you can purchase a Charlie Card from Tedeschi's at 177 State. Load with credit for future subway trips @ $2.10/pp.

Besides the lower fare, a Charlie card "remembers" that you have paid the fare and will allow you to transfer to a bus. The system does not have paper transfers so paying cash will not allow you to transfer to a bus.

2 Children under the age of twelve ride for free per paying adult.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please help me get from Silver Line to South Station and then to Fenway Park? Then from Fenway to Fanueil and then back to port.

Thanks,

Kathy

Can you please help me get from Silver Line to South Station and then to Fenway Park? Then from Fenway to Fanueil and then back to port.

Thanks,

Kathy

You take the Silver Line to South Station. You follow the signs to the Red Line direction Alewife and take any train 2 stops to Park Street. You follow the signs to the Green Line outbound and take the B, C, or D trolley to Kenmore and walk to Fenway Park.

You walk back to the Kenmore Station and go Inbound on any train to Haymarket and walk to Faneuil Hall.

You go back to Haymarket and take the Green Line Inbound to Park St, transfer to the Red Line direction Braintree/Ashmont any train two stops to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to Black Falcon Terminal.

Taking the Orange Line at Haymarket to Downtown Crossing to transfer to the Red Line is also an option. IMO the Green Line transfer is less confusing and the chances are the service will be better.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Thanks,

Kathy

Take the Silver Line (walk off the ship, turn left. At the end of the building (Boston Design Center) cross the stree you'll see a stop for the Silver Line to South Station. At South Station change to the Red Line to Park Street (inbound). At Park Street change to the Green Line toward Fenway (I think this says outbound). You can take the B, C or D Green Line and get off at Kenmore. Do not take the E line it doesn't go to Kenmore. Follow the crowd to Fenway.

On your return get on to the Green line at Kenmore and go inbound to either Park Street or Haymarket and walk. Government Center, which is the closest stop to Fanueil Hall is closed for renovation.

Take a look at http://www.mbta.com there may be a bus between Kenmore (a major transit stop) and Government Center that would be better than the subway.

Hope the Sox win when you are in town. They need all of the help they can get!

Take the Silver Line (walk off the ship, turn left. At the end of the building (Boston Design Center) cross the stree you'll see a stop for the Silver Line to South Station. At South Station change to the Red Line to Park Street (inbound). At Park Street change to the Green Line toward Fenway (I think this says outbound). You can take the B, C or D Green Line and get off at Kenmore. Do not take the E line it doesn't go to Kenmore. Follow the crowd to Fenway.

On your return get on to the Green line at Kenmore and go inbound to either Park Street or Haymarket and walk. Government Center, which is the closest stop to Fanueil Hall is closed for renovation.

Take a look at http://www.mbta.com there may be a bus between Kenmore (a major transit stop) and Government Center that would be better than the subway.

Hope the Sox win when you are in town. They need all of the help they can get!

Thanks for the information! The Sox are not playing the day we are there. Our plan is to visit the Green Monster!!

K

You take the Silver Line to South Station. You follow the signs to the Red Line direction Alewife and take any train 2 stops to Park Street. You follow the signs to the Green Line outbound and take the B, C, or D trolley to Kenmore and walk to Fenway Park.

You walk back to the Kenmore Station and go Inbound on any train to Haymarket and walk to Faneuil Hall.

You go back to Haymarket and take the Green Line Inbound to Park St, transfer to the Red Line direction Braintree/Ashmont any train two stops to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to Black Falcon Terminal.

Taking the Orange Line at Haymarket to Downtown Crossing to transfer to the Red Line is also an option. IMO the Green Line transfer is less confusing and the chances are the service will be better.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Thanks for the directions! It seemed much clearer than the T site.

K

Edited by rkr

From the cruise terminal, take the Silver Line (bus) to South Station. At South Station, transfer to the Red Line (subway), and take the Red Line to Harvard Square Station.

At the South Station transfer point, go right coming off the bus and go to the end of the platform following the signs to the Red Line Direction Alewife. Go down the stairs or take the elevator down to the Red Line platform and take any train to Harvard.

At the South Station transfer point, go right coming off the bus and go to the end of the platform following the signs to the Red Line Direction Alewife. Go down the stairs or take the elevator down to the Red Line platform and take any train to Harvard.

My favorite ride. When you come above ground and cross the Charles River. Spectacular views of Boston and Cambridge. No matter how jaded one is it still takes your breath away. Enjoy!