info on business class to tahiti

Dunner

My friend has a bad back. I am trying to get some info on flying business class to Tahiti. Extra Cost--comfort

Probably cheaper to fly from Detroit, Michigan to L.A. first, then fly to Tahiti but have not researched any other routes.

Any info will be appreciated.

Business class is ok ONLY if you get a plane with the upgraded interior. Otherwise it can be very uncomfortable of the person in front of you reclines fully. If you can get front row you are good. Check out Hawaiian Airlines if their Saturday only flights work for you. Last year from NYC they were cheaper than ATN was from LA! Their first class is just ok but their economy class much better.

Last year we flew United biz class from NY to Hawaii.then overnighted and flew economy with upgraded seat location and leg room to Papeete.

The other option is Air France. Not my first choice while they still don't have flat bed but they are converting all their aircraft to flat bed over the next two years. Wendy has been in their comfort class.

Final option is air New Zealand. A bit longer since you go via Auckland but full flatbed from LAX. Auckland to Papeete is on AtN but the flight is short.

I am considering all these options for 2017 or maybe just bite the bullet and go ATN economy!

On ATN I believe it's now around $1000 to upgrade. I did it a few times when it used to be $600 and $700 but now it's too much. Hawaiian I used Amex points and transferred them to Hawaiian.. Once I was able to use Delta points on ATN for business but that's almost impossible now. Would be great to see everyone again. I am still 50/50......

Edited by twin123185

Lots of options to pass along. On average how much does it cost to upgrade your seats??

Twin/ Emdee----we might be joining you guys on the reunion cruise--should know shortly.

I think the bus class fares are around $4,000 at this time. This doesn't mean you can not get a deal. Last year we paid just 1800$ Toronto to Hawaii via Newark on United Flatbed. Then Hawaii to Papeete was in economy with confort seats for somewhere around $500.

I think twin is referring to the last minute upgrades that may or may not be available at the airport.

The PG air credit for the reunion is $1650.

We really haven't decided to go biz or economy, DD thinks we should go biz as since we are spending her inheritance maybe we should.....but then we are on the b2b so that's a whole chunk of change. Still a while to make the decision.

I think I paid just $400 the first time to upgrade. In those days one cold eat the economy food.

Now if I do go economy I shall just carry my meals on board if it's a day flight. I did that on United biz last year but the food was quite good.

Edited by Emdee

It used to be $900 at the airport to upgrade to business class at the airport. We stopped doing when it got to that price.

TN price for an upgrade varies depending on the day of the week and how many seats are available. As Wendy stated Air France's Premium Economy is also a nice way to go. That begin; Air France is going to be dropping some low performing routes as they are in a world of hurt. Did you see the riot/mob protest the other day in Paris at AF's headquarters?

Rumor only **Since AF and Delta has a joint venture, it has been spectacled that Delta might take over the LAX-PPT portion, if that happened I would imagine that would be a year at the earliest.

Remind me, Emdee, you got a great price on the flatbed seats on that Delta flight, right? I remember pricing it out, and it seemed like it was a special deal. And making sure you're on that non-stop flight with the flatbed business seats. I don't even see such a flight right now, all I see are flights with stops. (Interested since we'll be flying next December.)

United didn't have that many flatbed seats at that time...more now.

DD who is a whiz at this kind of thing, made sure that we got the old Continental long haul air crafts that had flatbed. It was really comfortable.

I don't know what we shall do in 2017. Spring for biz or toughen it out!

After my recent flights on Air Tahiti Nui and Alitalia in economy I think my toughen it out days are over!

To tell you the truth it's a long time since we have travelled coach except on flights of less than 4 hours. However, since I have retired I think we should bite the bullet some times. Whether that is just theory remains to be seen.DD says go ahead and spend her inheritance travelling biz.

To tell you the truth it's a long time since we have travelled coach except on flights of less than 4 hours. However, since I have retired I think we should bite the bullet some times. Whether that is just theory remains to be seen.DD says go ahead and spend her inheritance travelling biz.

My kids have known since they could understand that will get nothing!!!!!

The other option is Air France. Not my first choice while they still don't have flat bed but they are converting all their aircraft to flat bed over the next two years. Wendy has been in their comfort class.

FWIW, we flew AF Business Class in their flat angled seats, and found them to be very comfortable, and made for a very relaxing, restful flight from LAX to PPT---probably got 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. We utilized PG's air credit and then made use of the American Express Platinum Card International Air Program...between the credit and the Amex program, the business class fare was relatively reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to use AF again.

Do you happen to remember the initial price before the savings?

It has been a number of years, so no. I do know that it was NOTICEABLY more expensive than flying coach, however, between the Amex offer and the air credit, the price was not enough to scare me away. It may reflect that I am just getting older and less prone to being uncomfortable, but I probably would not take the cruise unless I was able/willing to make the flight from LAX to PPT in business class. I suspect that I am the exception here, and I loved my PG cruise, but the trip over and back is long enough (I am coming from the east coast) that the class if air travel is a make it or break it matter for me. 20 (or even 10) years ago, I would have felt very differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...