Butler ??

WJBonds

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for your help.

We are experienced cruisers but new to Regent. Considering a trip on the Mariner this winter.

Can someone explain to me the fuctions of the "butler"? I know the obvious, but I am trying to determine whether the extra cost is a wise investment.

Thanks again.

Butlers bring you a snack in the afternoon (e.g., shrimp cocktail, canapes, caviar if you ask and pay extra for it, etc.) They also are available to run special errands. (Yup, not worth it, since your steward/room service waiters do just about the same things, albeit not as responsively, perhaps).

Years ago on the Mariner one named Joaquim tried to flirt with my wife when we first boarded, and apparently (after I posted here about it) she was far from the first. That was the last time we saw him, which was just fine with us. We purchased the suite for its size and amenities, not for the butler.

I agree with the rest. I had a butler on the Voyager, and the blurb in the planner said they will unpack for you. Not that I really want someone to unpack my underwear, but he conveniently showed up 2 hours after my luggage! However, I have been in a Penthouse suite on the Mariner, and it is open and full of light. It is great.

I agree with the others, butlers aren't worth the extra cost. We rarely used ours. Our favorite cabin is on the Mariner, Category C (same as A and B but without the butler).

Also, if you go on the Mariner I'd try to get a cabin with the retrofitted shower. They're GREAT...oversized with powerful shower head and tiled seat. (they have a star next to the cabins on the deck plans in the catalogue).

I concur with the above. Also, butlers can vary widely in quality -- on my last trip on Voyager, the butler was mediocre although the one on a previous Mariner cruise was excellent. Unless you plan to stay in your cabin the entire cruise and really use the services of a butler (and really want someone coming in and out of your cabin that often) then I too would pass on this.

We have sailed twice with RSSC - once in a Penthouse C on Mariner - no butler, and the second time in Penthouse A, with butler. We are sailing again in June on Voyageur, with a butler...

Why Butler? I can't think why! We could have made all our table reservations ourselves (and now with the on site reservation possible 30 days prior to sailing even more so...) the snacks were nice with cocktails, but for the price we paid for the suite upgrade (from C to A) we could have had champagne and caviar every night!

My advice is: choose the suite you want and if a butler comes with it, fine. if not, do it yourself!!!!

Archived