Nassau and Freeport - Excursions needed?

bdavis932

We are presently trying to decide between two cruises for June of 2016.

One we are leaning towards has stops in Key West, Nassau, and Freeport. Is it possible to NOT do an excursion in the Bahamas? We like usually like to go siteseeing and walk around town. Is there plenty to do within walking distance from the ship or would we need to book an excursion from these two ports? :confused:

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

There is not much to do in Freeport without taking a taxi into the town. Right off the ship is just a little market with people selling crafts and a Senor Frogs.

In Nassau, we walked to Junkanoo beach. Took about 10 mins. It's a free beach with a few vendors, an a tiki bar (with cheap drinks). After we left the beach, we hit Senor Frogs there. It's on the way back to the Port.

It was just myself and my 8 yr. old at the time.

We did a jeep excursion in Freeport through Carnival and thoroughly enjoyed it. It went all around the island. In Nassau we walked to Fort Charlotte, Ardastra Gardens, and the fish fry then took jitney 10 back to the main part of town. There are beautiful views from the top of the fort and it only cost $2/person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a jeep excursion in Freeport through Carnival and thoroughly enjoyed it. It went all around the island. In Nassau we walked to Fort Charlotte, Ardastra Gardens, and the fish fry then took jitney 10 back to the main part of town. There are beautiful views from the top of the fort and it only cost $2/person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long do you recommend visiting Fort Charlotte? Do they have an organized tour or is it self guided?

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this post. If I recall correctly, we spent about and hour there including the guided tour. I believe prices have increased since then but the admission includes the tour., just tip the guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nassau is easy to do on your own. Freeport you are better with an excursion as there is not much around the port. Everything is on the other side of the island. At the very least you'll have to get a cab to get there.

In Freeport, is there enough time to go with a non-Carnival excursion to Taino Beach, or is the travel time too risky?

I'm curious about this also. I was thinking about booking this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thinking of doing the Junkanoo Beach Club in Freeport. Is it easy to just grab a cab and go there or do you need to buy and excursion of some sort?......traveling in June/ Carnival Ecstasy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app