Just back from Tropicante...almost

Thebox

We were just there last week. It was fabulous. I sent an email a few months ago. Steve replied within 24 hours. We showed up about 10 am and the entire day was perfect. Very benevolent host. Great waiters. Great food and drinks. Crystal clear water. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Tropicante is overrated. Lots and lots of restaurants/beach areas all along the town. You just walk up to any of them and flop down in the loungers/chairs and order food/drink. People act like Trop is the only option. Dozens of options that don't require any pre-planning.

Thanks for your post Love. We haven't been there yet (2 more weeks) but I don't think it's overrated from the hundreds of posts here and elsewhere. Quite the opposite actually, Steve's place is a very popular choice and sees tons of repeat guests. Also rated #1 on TA for what that's worth.

As I said we haven't even been there yet and you may be right while everyone else here is off their rocker. :D But to have an option to reserve chairs and a table for free is a no-brainer to me when we have over 10,000 fellow cruisers all looking for the same slice of beach. If we had more time in port we would head to Maya Luna as that's the best choice of any that I've read of and I've read all of the trip reports here over several months,. But we would only have 2 hrs there and so Tropicante is the 2nd best choice for our group.

Love I'm sure your point about just plopping down at any club is right on, and we might find a spot we like better doing that. Tropicante will be swamped I'm sure, it's not like we're getting a quiet, private spot by the beach. Just with 10,000 + fellow cruisers joining us it seemed like a good choice.

Just reserved 9 chairs for our group in AUgust, Steve answered within 24 hours, looking forward to a relaxing day with a few drinks and some good food, I guess we could wander the beach looking for chairs but 9 chairs may be hard to come by, This allows us all to sit together and just relax

We haven't yet been to Mahahual and we're there in a couple weeks and Steve re-confirmed our spot yesterday. I'm sure there are several good options along the Malecon. Actually many in cruise critic chris's stickie, in older threads here, and on other sites actually sound like great spots. If you have a nice long port day with not many ships in you could just stroll the malecon and I'm sure pick a great spot at leisure.

If we had more time in port we would be heading south to get away from our fellow 10,000 cruisers. But as it is we have a short day in this port, and so free chair and table reservations at Steve's is perfect for 2 couples looking for a few hours to drink and watch everything.

But I wouldn't look forward to finding a spot while all of my 10k fellow cruisers are doing the same thing. Too much like a sea day on the ship! Actually it's worse on the ship with the "towel people" but I digress...

Happy travels! :)

• 2 weeks later...
We haven't yet been to Mahahual and we're there in a couple weeks and Steve re-confirmed our spot yesterday. I'm sure there are several good options along the Malecon. Actually many in cruise critic chris's stickie, in older threads here, and on other sites actually sound like great spots. If you have a nice long port day with not many ships in you could just stroll the malecon and I'm sure pick a great spot at leisure.

If we had more time in port we would be heading south to get away from our fellow 10,000 cruisers. But as it is we have a short day in this port, and so free chair and table reservations at Steve's is perfect for 2 couples looking for a few hours to drink and watch everything.

But I wouldn't look forward to finding a spot while all of my 10k fellow cruisers are doing the same thing. Too much like a sea day on the ship! Actually it's worse on the ship with the "towel people" but I digress...

Happy travels! :)

That is where you are confused. Been there many times and the 10k cruisers you keep mentioning are not in Mahahual. Many don't even know about the town or are too afraid to venture there unless on an excursion. Many never leave the port area. Free chairs and loungers are available everywhere by the dozens if not hundreds. Trop isn't a bad option, but there are many others just as nice.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Tropicante two weeks ago and we had great time. Steve came and introduced himself and checked on us a couple of times while we were there. We had an umbrella and two chairs near the water. We ordered some drinks and lunch and the food was very good. George was very fast to make sure we had everything we needed and did a great job. Steve offers free WiFi and we didnt take our phones and he told us he had free unlimited phone for the U.S. which we used to call our family. He has his staff there keeping an eye on your belongings so you know they are safe while you are in the water. Great place to spend the day and I cant wait to go back.

We went to the Tropicante two weeks ago and we had great time. Steve came and introduced himself and checked on us a couple of times while we were there. We had an umbrella and two chairs near the water. We ordered some drinks and lunch and the food was very good. George was very fast to make sure we had everything we needed and did a great job. Steve offers free WiFi and we didnt take our phones and he told us he had free unlimited phone for the U.S. which we used to call our family. He has his staff there keeping an eye on your belongings so you know they are safe while you are in the water. Great place to spend the day and I cant wait to go back.

All true!... Can't wait to go back either

We were at the Tropicante Feb 6 and only in port until 2PM so we only spent about 2.5 hrs on the beach. Steve didn't make it to us before we left but we thanked him for his hospitality on our way out. His staff was good but quite a bit overworked or understaffed that day and we just had a couple drinks at our lounges in the front row by the water. But the water was beautiful and clean and we didn't want to get out!

Several vendors walk by repeatedly but Thurs is their busy day and their time to make a living.

If we return we may venture further south to Maya Luna or another spot for a less lively vibe. But we'd recommend Tropicante to someone interested in reserving a spot for free with food and drink availability and other folks to meet while enjoying the beach and lunch.

Thanks Tropicante!

• 1 month later...
We have reserved chairs with Steve at Tropicante for August, just email him reserve your chairs, he will send detailed info on where to get the taxi to The Tropicante, it is to far to walk

Thanks I did send a email today but have not heard back when In Aug. We are head on the 7th

Thanks I did send a email today but have not heard back when In Aug. We are head on the 7th

He didn't answer my first email at all. So I sent again a few days later and then received an immediate reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums