Will there soon be MORE flight options to San Juan?

printingchick

Now that RCL has announced year-round cruises out of San Juan, do you think we'll see more flight availability? Seems to me that flight options have dwindled over the past few years...while prices have sky-rocketed. Maybe with increased demand, we'll have more options?? Currently, the ONLY non-stop flights out of Boston are on Jet Blue. Would love to see Southwest add a San Juan route! That was rumored a long time ago, but never happened (maybe the economy?). Your thoughts?

Now that RCL has announced year-round cruises out of San Juan, do you think we'll see more flight availability? Seems to me that flight options have dwindled over the past few years...while prices have sky-rocketed. Maybe with increased demand, we'll have more options?? Currently, the ONLY non-stop flights out of Boston are on Jet Blue. Would love to see Southwest add a San Juan route! That was rumored a long time ago, but never happened (maybe the economy?). Your thoughts?

Southwest is still in the process of absorbing AirTran. I'm guessing that if Southwest eventually starts flying to San Juan, it will start with the existing AirTran flights from Atlanta.

This is one of my hesitations with a potential booking 2013 / 2014. The JOS itin's look really good with addition of Martinque and seriously considering for Nov 2013. However, looking at current airfare (we fly out of Charlotte) it is double what we previously paid when we sailed AOS and SOS in 2008 and 2009.

I can hope prices improve (doubt it) or end up using Frequent Flyer Miles to handle the flight portion. (Although, I was hoping to hold onto them for Europe.)

Of course, with the American Airlines / USAir merger speculation out there and if it comes to fruition, I can imagine rates will only go up even more since both have fairly decent schedules to SJU. What to do...

American Airlines has really started to reduce service to their San Juan hub - this is largely where you have seen the decrease in service.

In regards to the legacy carriers (American, United, Delta), I don't see them adding service to San Juan just because of cruises. Many cruise passengers are only after the lowest fare, which means the airlines cannot make a profit...I don't know why they would add service to San Juan if they weren't going to make a profit.

Best best would be Southwest, but even then I wouldn't expect a huge increase in service, at least not right off the bat.

I doubt the number of cruises from a city as large as San Juan (LOTS of other reasons people fly there) is going to be high on the list as a determining factor for any airline in setting their schedule there.

... for flights to San Juan for a March 3 cruise next year from Atlanta or Charlotte and am surprised at how expensive they are. I'll track them for awhile and see what happens. It's still early and I can't imagine they'll get much MORE expensive! Our friends leaving out of BWI are looking at fares about half what ours would be!

Amercian has the best prices, but should I be concerned about what's going to happen with them over the next year?

... for flights to San Juan for a March 3 cruise next year from Atlanta or Charlotte and am surprised at how expensive they are. I'll track them for awhile and see what happens. It's still early and I can't imagine they'll get much MORE expensive! Our friends leaving out of BWI are looking at fares about half what ours would be!

Amercian has the best prices, but should I be concerned about what's going to happen with them over the next year?

No. Nothing much is gonna happen. Even if they merge, they will still be a major presence in aviation.

Archived