San Pedro-need to kill some time....

jazzlvr57

We are sailing out of San Pedro on the Vision of the Seas on Nov. 4th. We fly into LAX and our flight got moved up so we now arrive at 9:05AM. Since we don't want to have to hang around the pier waiting to be able to board, then being in the "first to board" crowds - any suggestions on what we can do to kill some time?

Thanks

click on this thread link here for movie locations right around there...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

You can either just walk around the ones around 6th street, or if you have more time (which doesn't take long) head up by bus or taxi to the other ones...

Depends on what films or TV shows you like;) ...

Or just wander around Ports of Call there...

CJW

We are sailing out of San Pedro on the Vision of the Seas on Nov. 4th. We fly into LAX and our flight got moved up so we now arrive at 9:05AM. Since we don't want to have to hang around the pier waiting to be able to board, then being in the "first to board" crowds - any suggestions on what we can do to kill some time?

Thanks

Hi , We are also going on the Vision on the 4th and are looking for info on LA. Our first time there so I hope you don't mind if I steal any of your advice. I've read that LAX is a nightmare at that time so you may spend a few hours just getting to the port!! BTW why don't you join our Meet & Mingle group? We have about 18 members already for the Nov 4th sailing and if we get to 25 Royal Caribbean will host us a get together with complementary cocktails and appetizers while we get to meet each other. If you go to the Meet & Mingle site of Cruise Critics boards and click on the Vision and the Nov 4th date you will get to meet us all and get lots of advice on what to do while in the ports. Hope to see you there. Jean

Thanks

If your flight gets in at 9:05 by the time you get your luggage, get a cab or shuttle and drive out the port it wil be pushing 11:00 A.M. On both of my cruises once on the Vision and once on the Monarch we got to the port between 11:00 and 11:30 and were on the ship by Noon, eating lunch in the Windjammer.

Isn't killing time a felony? Oh well, the LA DA can't convict anyone, so I guess you don't have much to worry about.

Take the little trolley to Ports Of Call. The Maritime Museum is across the street from the 6th street station. Ports Of Call is the next stop after that ...

Train.jpg

route.jpg

if you end up taking a bit to get to the terminal you can even hang out there...compared to a couple of the others we'ver been to the LA cruise terminal is pretty nice. Trying to kill an hour or so wouldnt be too difficult. Maybe we'll see you in passing...we will be getting of Vision on 11/4...but I hope we arent still at the port at 11am:)

if you end up taking a bit to get to the terminal you can even hang out there...compared to a couple of the others we'ver been to the LA cruise terminal is pretty nice. Trying to kill an hour or so wouldnt be too difficult. Maybe we'll see you in passing...we will be getting of Vision on 11/4...but I hope we arent still at the port at 11am:)

They always say 2:00 boarding, but will start boarding as soon as they can, usually between 11 and noon. If you arrive at LAX at 9:30, it'll take between 30-60 minute before you collect your bags and are ready to get into a cab or shuttle, then another 30-45 minutes to get to the port. So you won't have much, if any, time to kill. Even coming from LGB, if you arrive at 10:30, you won't be at the port much before noon, so you should be able to board right away.

All of the above assumes that the prior cruise's disembarkation isn't delayed for any reason.

Thanks for all of the advice. This is actually a group of 30 people going - most of whom will either be on that 9:05 arrival or staying at a hotel right next to LAX. We are getting a private shuttle from the airport for probably 10 - 22 of the group. I have not sailed from this pier before, but at other ports when arriving around 11AM or so there was a huge crowd. I am not a fan of waiting - I would much rather go have a little fun then come back around 2 or so when we can walk right on.

As I've found with a group like this it is always good to give some options. Some will want to head right to the ship, others will want to look around a little.

Thanks again.

Hi cruisebryce, we're also going on the Vision 11/4 and arriving at LAX the day before. Have you found a good way to the pier yet? We're still looking for ideas, can't decide whether to get a shuttle, taxi or use the longer but cheaper bus system. BTW we have a group started over on the Meet & Mingle board for the 11/4 sailing and if you sign up you will get an invitation delivered to your room to attend a get-together for our Cruise Critic group to meet. We have about 14 guests signed up already and if we get to 25 Royal Caribbean will host the party with appetizers and some cruise lines even offer cocktails if the group is large enough. Hope to see you there. We're from Ma. how about you?

sorry, I just realized you will be getting off on the 4th not on. But I'm sure you will still be welcome on that sailing's Meet & Mingle if you haven't already joined. Jean

I have not sailed from this pier before, but at other ports when arriving around 11AM or so there was a huge crowd. I am not a fan of waiting
I have sailerd from here twice, once on the Vision, and then the Monarch. Both times I have arrived at the dock around 11:15 and by noon I am eating lunch in the WJ. Its kind of fun being one of the first ones on the ship you get to check it out with very few people.

I will be on the Vision once again on 11-25

I always recommend the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. You can check your bags, then get on the little red trolley at the far side of the parking lot (a historic reproduction) and take this to the Maritime Museum (it is less than a mile). Easy to spend 3-4 hours there and great exhibits.

Not to ask a stupid question, but... can you elaborate a bit on the check your bags part? How early can you check your bags and where would you do so?

I have not sailed from this pier before, but at other ports when arriving around 11AM or so there was a huge crowd. I am not a fan of waiting - I would much rather go have a little fun then come back around 2 or so when we can walk right on.

Thanks again.

I didn't know this, I thought the lines got longer as the day got later. My husband hates lines, hates them. I think we will take your lead and see some sights then get in line later. We are also going on the Vision Nov. 4th, hope to see you on the ship. The ship looks full... at least there are only a few rooms left according to the internet booking site, but there are only 14 people registered for the Meet & Mingle so far??? See you soon.

As for getting to the ship early, that's our goal every time. Hubby is usually dragging us out of the house by 9:30am every time that we're leaving from San Pedro. And it's only a hour's drive.

This last time, I ordered a car service pickup for about 11, even though the docs said get there after 1pm. We got to the port at 12:15pm and immediately we were taken over to an available check in clerk. We were on the Island Princess, with our carryons unpacked, and ready to explore the ship by 1:15pm.

1pm, ha!

You don't need to check into your cruise to check your bags. Stop off on the curb with your bags, give them to a luggage porter (with a tip) and as long as they are tagged with the tags the ship sends you, you should meet them later in your cabin. Once you have dropped them off, you can go down to Seaport Village or the Museum and then later check into your cruise when the crowds have died down. You can usually start checking bags like this as early as 1000.

My experience with RCCL in San Pedro is that they usually start letting people on at around 11:30...but they won't let you into your cabins until about 1:00...so, you schlepp your carry-ons with you up to the Windjammer...or, just check everything...

From our experience, it isn't any easier getting on later in the day...Since a lot of folks DRIVE to the pier (It seems a major percentage of passengers come from within driving distance), a lot of them just don't get there until a little later...

There's also the "Special" line for Diamond C&A and Suite passengers--which one time, when we got there later, we found they took down!!! We had to ask around to find someone who could get us some priority--and they merely arranged to have us "cut" in line--but it was sort of a zoo...

So, my choice is to just go early, get on the ship and relax...I'd rather "kill" time on the ship then kill it in San Pedro--then wait in line getting on the ship anyway...

To the folks arriving in LGB at 10:30: I wouldn't worry it--collect your luggage and grab a cab right to the ship...You'll get there in time to get right on...

Once you have dropped them off, you can go down to Seaport Village or ...

Ummm...Splinter, they probably don't want to try to go to "Seaport Village"...THAT is in SAN DIEGO and I doubt they'll get back to the Vision in time!!! :) :) :)

They could take a cab to SHORELINE VILLAGE...That's about six miles away in Long Beach...

Or more likely, they could just take the Trolley down to "Ports o' Call" Village...That's the one right down the waterfront in San Pedro...

Yeah, I'm just giving you a hard time...it is a forgiveable error...

Archived