Traditional dining to MTD

bc_redhead

This will be our first cruise and we are set up for traditional dining, I thought we'd like to give this a try since it might be gone in the future. I was wondering if it's possible to do a night of MTD or specialty dining in place of one of the evenings of traditional dining. Our gratuities are paid for by our TA for traditional dining, would these be transferred to the MTD dining or do we pay a difference. Also, what is the best protocol to do so, do we just call the main dining room and let them know we won't be at our traditional dining time that evening? Any help is appreciated.

This will be our first cruise and we are set up for traditional dining, I thought we'd like to give this a try since it might be gone in the future. I was wondering if it's possible to do a night of MTD or specialty dining in place of one of the evenings of traditional dining. Our gratuities are paid for by our TA for traditional dining, would these be transferred to the MTD dining or do we pay a difference. Also, what is the best protocol to do so, do we just call the main dining room and let them know we won't be at our traditional dining time that evening? Any help is appreciated.

You can do a specialty restaurant any night, but you can only switch to MTD once. In other words, should they have space in MTD for you, once you switch, you are there for the rest of the cruise.

Gratuities are the same between traditional and MTD.

When we do specialty dining we just let MDR waiter know the night before that we won't be there. Always have tipped separately in Portofino or Chops.

Why would you say Traditional dining "might be gone in the future"?

Why would you say Traditional dining "might be gone in the future"?

With the introduction of Dynamic Dining with Quantum Class ships and the recent announcement of adding it to Oasis with the upcoming drydock there are numerous threads speculating that eventually it will be rolled out to all ships.

If yo are not familiar with DD, attached is a PDF describing it.

1396036808_v1Culinary-Press-Release-FINAL-32414 (1).pdf

With the introduction of Dynamic Dining with Quantum Class ships and the recent announcement of adding it to Oasis with the upcoming drydock there are numerous threads speculating that eventually it will be rolled out to all ships.

If yo are not familiar with DD, attached is a PDF describing it.

I believe DD will be another option but TD will never be done away with. I guess that's my speculation. Time will tell.

Does anyone know how kid's menus will work with Dynamic Dining? We are going to be on the first FOS cruise after dry dock in Feb. 2015. If they do decide to roll it out while in drydock, I'm curious if the kids' menu will be offered in all the free restaurants.

Does anyone know how kid's menus will work with Dynamic Dining? We are going to be on the first FOS cruise after dry dock in Feb. 2015. If they do decide to roll it out while in drydock, I'm curious if the kids' menu will be offered in all the free restaurants.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't be.

I believe DD will be another option but TD will never be done away with. I guess that's my speculation. Time will tell.

On the ships that will have DD, TD will be eliminated by its definition as there will be no more early / late MDR dining. So DD & TD will not be an option on the same ship. But I agree that IMO it will not be a complete fleet wide conversion. Some ships will have it, others will not. But as you say, time will tell.

Don't know for sure since DD is not yet in force anywhere, but I don't see why they would not have kids menus.

Also, if DD on Oasis is being delayed until March, Freedom might also be delayed.

Edited by clarea

You can do a specialty restaurant any night, but you can only switch to MTD once. In other words, should they have space in MTD for you, once you switch, you are there for the rest of the cruise.

Gratuities are the same between traditional and MTD.

Thank you so much for the information, I was not aware of not being able to switch back.