FLAM-Train or Cruise

I agree with the previous comments. You are inside the fjord on your cruise ship. Although, if I remember correctly I think some of the smaller boats operate trips in RIBs. However, I would do the train. We bought our tickets at the station n the morning.

Your ship cruises the fjord, so no need to do it by excursion.

"The" fjord is kind of a misnomer, since each of the arms usually has its own name. Your ship cruises through Sognefjord. The ferry and small boat trips from Flåm typically also sail down the UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord to Gudvangen, whereas most cruise ships are too wide to make it down that arm.

"The" fjord is kind of a misnomer, since each of the arms usually has its own name. Your ship cruises through Sognefjord. The ferry and small boat trips from Flåm typically also sail down the UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord to Gudvangen, whereas most cruise ships are too wide to make it down that arm.

Sorry I did not make it clear in my OP.

If I catch the first train out and then the 2nd cruise on the Naeroyfjord that would be ideal. However, if that does not work and I have to choose which should it be. The Flam train or the Cruise to Gudvangen on the Naeroyfjord? RCL has their train excursions starting with the 9:45 train. Only our ship in town so we dock, do you think the first train is doable?

Thanks, Karen

Edited by happy_travellers

Sorry I did not make it clear in my OP.

If I catch the first train out and then the 2nd cruise on the Naeroyfjord that would be ideal. However, if that does not work and I have to choose which should it be. The Flam train or the Cruise to Gudvangen on the Naeroyfjord? RCL has their train excursions starting with the 9:45 train. Only our ship in town so we dock, do you think the first train is doable?

Thanks, Karen

Does your cruise include Geiranger? Honestly I think the scenery in Geirangerfjord is more stunning than Nærøyfjord, so if you'll be sailing to Geiranger, I wouldn't make the cruise to Gudvangen as much of a priority.

Does your cruise include Geiranger? Honestly I think the scenery in Geirangerfjord is more stunning than Nærøyfjord, so if you'll be sailing to Geiranger, I wouldn't make the cruise to Gudvangen as much of a priority.

Yes we will be sailing to Geiranger. We arrive there at 11:30-9pm so nice time to sail in and out.

My initial plan was to take the train to Flam and then get off and hike part way back,where do suggest we get off the train (we could walk 2 hours). Then maybe hike over to Otternes Farm but looks like it would be closed, we are in Flam May 19,8-6pm (anything to see on the walk if the farm is closed?). At the end of the day reward our hiking with a stop at the brew pub.

What would your suggestion for this stop be?

Thanks so very much for your helpful info,Karen

At the end of the day reward our hiking with a stop at the brew pub.

What would your suggestion for this stop be?

Thanks so very much for your helpful info,Karen

We stopped for beers after walking back from one of the stops on the train. It was a fun funky place. But be prepared... $13 for .3Liter beer. They take credit cards :-).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have been working through websites for both Geiranger and Flam. So far, very happy with non-cruiseline options as one knows the timing before purchase and the price difference reflects the fact that cruiselines negotiate a lower price from vendors and usually up to double the retail price! These websites can be sticky and at points corrections are needed.

For the Flam railway (just the two-hour roundtrip to/from Myrdal) I have been told that folks will be able to buy single tickets (with guaranteed seats for specific times) beginning at the end of March (I check on a weekly basis during the month. Also, they do an excellent job of answering your questions via email.) Those of us who have the experience are instead cruising to Gudvangen and taking the bus to Stalheim and back to Flam (check out the pictures by Googling Gudvangen and Staleim view!). In Geiranger there was a consensus to ride up to the top of Mr. Dalsnibba and only two bus trips are available each day. Depending what your time constraints are, they also offer a combined ticket with fjordcruising that only costs $22 more than the bus trip by itself! (We arrive at Geiranger at 7am and I seriously doubt I'm going to be topside at 5am and instead of eating a good hot breakfast with coffee!)

DJ:)

Do the train your self. I got off the ship very early and was fifth inline for the train before the train station office opened. I saved a lot of money compared to the ships tour. If your ship is one of the later arriving ones then a DIY mght not be good since some trains will sell out.