Alesund hop and off bus any advice?

Al54

One day in Alesund on may (9am to 6 pm) very interrested in the H and O bus route. I'm worrying about two things : the few rotations (one by hour) and the possibility that it could be overcrowded when a huge ship is in port. Any experience about taking this bus? (Sorry for my bad English, it's not my mother language).

If there are many ships in town and many are wanting to take the bus it will be crowded for sure.

You never really have any grantee against how many are getting tickets for the hoho bus making it a crowded experience.

If you are interested in going to the Mt. Aksla viewpoint, The open air museum and the Aquarium I suggest you take the bus. If not then Ålesund is a small and compact town best explored on foot.

If you want to go to the viewpoint you can also take the tourist "train".

Thanks a lot for your answer, i'll follow your advice and take the bus, because I'm mainly interested in Sunnmore museum and mount Aksla. I already visited Alesund nine years ago and really enjoyed, but just saw the city center and mount Aksla (by stairs). I saw in another thread that the stairs will be closed when I'll be in Alesund, I didn't imagine a bus was going there : thanks a lot, your posts are very useful.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Thanks a lot for your answer, i'll follow your advice and take the bus, because I'm mainly interested in Sunnmore museum and mount Aksla. I already visited Alesund nine years ago and really enjoyed, but just saw the city center and mount Aksla (by stairs). I saw in another thread that the stairs will be closed when I'll be in Alesund, I didn't imagine a bus was going there : thanks a lot, your posts are very useful.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Je vous en prie;)

Its hard to imagine a bus navigating the road up to Aksla viewpoint. It sure is a narrow road.

Enjoy your day in Ålesund.

Lars

Am following this thread with some interest. We have been to Alesund on two cruises, loved the region, and cannot even imagine they have a HoHo bus in that relatively small city. So, for us, it is live an learn. We have enjoyed walking around the town and climbing all the way up Mt Aksla. What was fascinating is that when DW (who had a knee replacement about a year after this hike) and I were hiking the trail up the mountain we were passed by a lovely Norwegian lady who looked to be about 8 months pregnant. She was just quickly walking up the trail without any effort, and had both DW and I looking at each other wondering if we had been living the wrong life. :)

When we got to the top of the mountain we stopped at the café for a rest and some coffee. We then met a local lady (whose daughter was one of the towns teachers) who offered to drive us back down to town and give us a bit of a driving tour of some of the residential areas. We just love Norway and sure wish the cost of everything was more reasonable.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Lars, we likely do the HOHO bus but ....

Is it worth the time/cost to take a tour up the Troll Road and miss the HOHO Alesund experience? We will be in Geiranger and take the scenic bus there fwiw. Thoughts?

Its absolutely worth the time to do Trollstigen (Trollroad).

If you miss the hoho buss in Ålesund its not a big deal. As per previous answers on other threads Ålesund is a very compact town easily manged by foot. The bus is great if you want to go to Aksla viewpoint (the path/stairs are closed for refurbishment this summer season), the open air museum and the aquarium.

If you only wish to go to the viewpoint you can instead of the bus take the tourist train/choo choo train.

HI- really appreciate all the help from I-cruiser! We had planned to hike the steps to the Mt Aksla viewpoint when visiting Alesund on the Constellation but now that they are closed for the summer, will likely take the tourist train to the top- where would we board? near the steps?

Thanks Susan

Last year the little train had a stall set up just along the dockside. We bought tickets there and boarded the train at the main road a few steps away.

There was some information about the town and buildings as well as the ride up to the viewpoint. Sadly it was raining and visibility was not very good! (July)

kate