Is MSC pricing getting more attractive again?

Alex71

We've had lots of threads moaning about MSC getting more expensive and lacking specials.

My impression is that this trend is finally starting to reverse. I'm seeing lots of Western Med specials for 399 EUR or 449 EUR, some even as low as 299.

Eastern Med is slightly more expensive, but I booked a cabin for four on the Magnifica from Venice to Istanbul and back for 1098 EUR list price (adults 549, kids free, inside, bella). Final price minus discount from my travel agent came in at 1021 EUR, club discount not applicable.

This will be our first cruise with them in 18 months and finally take us to gold status, for whatever it's worth these days.

Well, you always have to take into account the final price with taxes and everything, son the 299€ specials is not that price in the end.

You have to really keep an eye on prices all year round if you want to get a great deal with MSC. The "free drinks promotions" and such they do in the first quarter of the year for the summer are always expensive.

I believe the best way to go is to either book very early in advance, on very late if you have large choice of dates.

The two times I booked with MSC I did it one year before the cruise. For MSC Fantasia ouf of Venice to Greece in June 2014 I got a 900€ inside cabin deal (450€ pp cruise). For a June 2015 sailing to the Norwegian Fjords I got a balcony for 1.670€ with MSC Club discount (835€ pp). To that you have to add drinks, and service fees. Still great deals.

In April and May this year I checked last minute prices for my parents, and there were great deals. So I just think it depends on what time of the year you book, ad the freedom you have to choose dates well in advance or last minute.

I've never seen prices as low for the summer months as they have been on their Flash Sale this week. Incredible value! However, flight prices are more expensive, making the offers less attractive!

Edited by Beamafar

I've never seen prices as low for the summer months as they have been on their Flash Sale this week. Incredible value! However, flight prices are more expensive, making the offers less attractive!

Sing it sister!! I booked us into a balcony stateroom for €853 total but the flights to Rome amount to almost €600. Nevertheless, l am excited to head off this Friday for a week's cruise on Divina.

By the way, when l found the price, there was no mention of 'Flash Sale' but when I checked my confirmation email, it shows 'flash..', so l don't think l will get to use my obc voucher!

First world problems, l know. Ken. When you think of what holidaymakers in Tunisia went through yesterday, it sobers you up!

Sing it sister!! I booked us into a balcony stateroom for €853 total but the flights to Rome amount to almost €600. Nevertheless, l am excited to head off this Friday for a week's cruise on Divina.

By the way, when l found the price, there was no mention of 'Flash Sale' but when I checked my confirmation email, it shows 'flash..', so l don't think l will get to use my obc voucher!

First world problems, l know. Ken. When you think of what holidaymakers in Tunisia went through yesterday, it sobers you up!

The voucher can only be used with an Early Booking Rate, Ken. You have to submit it at the time of booking. I've used 2 so far. When I booked with a TA I forwarded it to him. The booking I've made for the Meraviglia is through MSC so I have to post it to them. The OBC won't be added to your account until they've verified the voucher is kosher!

You didn't do too badly on the cost of the flights to Rome - though you have the added costs of getting to Civitavecchia! Out of curiosity, I priced flights with Aer Lingus to Barcelona for July and they came in at a little over €800 for the two of us!!!!!! Crazy .......... they'd be around the €360 mark if booked a couple of months earlier!

Edited by Beamafar

Yes, they seem to be changing their pricing policy a bit. I've not been able to take advantage of the last minute specials available as my annual leave is already committed elsewhere.

I will be going on my next MSC cruise I April though (last time was April 2014), was beginning to think I'd never cruise with them again, not just because of increase in prices but on many cruises they didn't want us solos at any price.

Guess not selling as much as they'd hoped to couples and families at those increased costs has made them think again.

Yes, they seem to be changing their pricing policy a bit. I've not been able to take advantage of the last minute specials available as my annual leave is already committed elsewhere.

I will be going on my next MSC cruise I April though (last time was April 2014), was beginning to think I'd never cruise with them again, not just because of increase in prices but on many cruises they didn't want us solos at any price.

Guess not selling as much as they'd hoped to couples and families at those increased costs has made them think again.

I wonder if they'll open up bookings in the YC on the Meraglia for solos, Mairi? Perhaps the inside cabins even? At the moment they're priced at around 50% of the YC balconies. I know you prefer the smaller ships but maybe you'd be tempted if the price were right? The itinerary isn't particularly attractive, though - and MSC are touting the fact that the Vista class ships are built to be able to access every port so I don't know why they're not using this wonderful, new, big-ship capability to visit more unusual stops.

Fortunately, the advertised price has to be the final price including taxes and fees, so 399 EUR means 399 minus whatever the travel agent is willing to take off and free for the kids means free.

The leagality of the service charge has been disputed, but I guess they can get away by claiming that it is no longer mandatory.

Expensive last minute flights are not an issue for us, since we can drive to Venice in 7 or 8 hours. Flying would maybe save us an but would add a lot of inconvenience.

No longer applying the club discount on specials seems to be a new development though.

I wonder if they'll open up bookings in the YC on the Meraglia for solos, Mairi? Perhaps the inside cabins even? At the moment they're priced at around 50% of the YC balconies. I know you prefer the smaller ships but maybe you'd be tempted if the price were right? The itinerary isn't particularly attractive, though - and MSC are touting the fact that the Vista class ships are built to be able to access every port so I don't know why they're not using this wonderful, new, big-ship capability to visit more unusual stops.

I'm not adverse to trying YC, it has just been too expensive up until now. When they have reduced the solo supplement it has never been available on YC. So at the right price I'd try it, although there is a slight concern it would spoil me for not being in YC after that!

It is not so much that I don't like the size of the huge ship, it is more I don't like the itineraries. The ship can be slightly more isolating for someone on their own. Seems counter intuitive that wih more people I'd feel more alone than I do with less. However on the small and medium sized ones you start to recognise other passengers and crew and they recognise you after a day or so. YC sounds ideal though as I'd get the small ship experience butnstill have all the bells, whistles and variety of a big ship (as long as the itinerary was reasonable).

Must go and have a look and compare YC prices versus balcony cabins in 2016, just to see if the price differential has reduced any. Don't mind paying extra just not 3 times as much, particularly as I'll be ashore most of the day.

I'm not adverse to trying YC, it has just been too expensive up until now. When they have reduced the solo supplement it has never been available on YC. So at the right price I'd try it, although there is a slight concern it would spoil me for not being in YC after that!

It is not so much that I don't like the size of the huge ship, it is more I don't like the itineraries. The ship can be slightly more isolating for someone on their own. Seems counter intuitive that wih more people I'd feel more alone than I do with less. However on the small and medium sized ones you start to recognise other passengers and crew and they recognise you after a day or so. YC sounds ideal though as I'd get the small ship experience butnstill have all the bells, whistles and variety of a big ship (as long as the itinerary was reasonable).

Must go and have a look and compare YC prices versus balcony cabins in 2016, just to see if the price differential has reduced any. Don't mind paying extra just not 3 times as much, particularly as I'll be ashore most of the day.

The number of people in the YC is very small approx 0.05% of the total number of guests and there are more staff to look after you. They get to know you very quickly , as do other guests. You'll love it if you ty it

The YC will only spoil you on the Fantasia class, and the new Vista and Seaside Classes, as the other ships don't have a YC (As you know) so it's Balcony Fantastica or Balcony Aurea instead

I was able to get the 5% MSC club discount on the fares. :)

My 8% club discount was now also deducted, was apparently just false information from my TA. Combined with the special discount from my TA, that's almost a 16% discount.