Yacht Club benefits

"Wandering Wino's&quo

We have recently received several mailings from Windstar advertising the benefits to past passengers. The Yacht Club benefits mention free upgrades when available. Sounded good and since when we booked months ago we did upgrade our cabin from far forward cabin to mid-ship I thought this might prove to be a worthwhile perk for those of us that have sailed on a Windstar ship in the past. Found out today that the upgrade are only given out if available when you check in the day of departure. Surprised and disappointed. :(

It's unfortunate that you expected instant upgrades. I thought it was like being a member of a hotel's frequent guest program, or airlines frequent flyer program, upgrades are at check in (or maybe a day or two in advance),me hitch is what it turns out to be. It's a goodwill gesture, and should never be counted on.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

It's unfortunate that you expected instant upgrades. I thought it was like being a member of a hotel's frequent guest program, or airlines frequent flyer program, upgrades are at check in (or maybe a day or two in advance),me hitch is what it turns out to be. It's a goodwill gesture, and should never be counted on.

Now that I think of it you are right. We are platinum members for life at Marriott and you are right our upgrade is when we check in, but we know that we will be upgraded from a standard room to most likely a jr. suite or better anytime we stay at a Marriott Hotel. But of course their inventory is much larger then a Windstar ship. So thank you for giving me a better perspective on the entire issue.

Shirley

So happy I could help. I'm also Marriott Platinum, and have found upgrades diminishing more and more in their properties. Same thing with Hilton unfortunately. When the economy was in the pits I was always upgraded, but since it has recovered, they are much more stingy about them. I've also run into, "Sorry, our club level,is closed for refurbishment, here's a coupon for a continental breakfast in the restaurant--which I don't think is comparable. But that's probably another thread. Anyhow, fingers crossed that you get an upgrade. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just sailed on the windsurf. We had booked a room on deck 1 - cheapest rooms. We were hoping to upgrade to a suite when we got on board for an extra $1000 for the week. I called a week or so before and found out that there were 9 available suites at that point. These are usually if available. We made a beeline to reception after check in and there were no suites at that time but the 1st thing they asked was if we were Yacht Club members and if so, how many cruises. It was our 3rd which seemed to pass the test. They told us none were available but they put our name on a wait list in case they got a call from headquarters with availability.

As we walked away, she called us back - she got a call and had one room. So even though we paid for that upgrade, our Yacht Club membership may have helped.

Also I got 10% off in the gift shop which I put to go use...several times!

• 9 months later...

Yacht Club members, just off the Surf. We'd booked the lowest level cabin on the 1 deck. Checked at reception upon arrival and we were offered a free upgrade to the 2nd deck or an upgrade to level 3 for ~$1350. We took the free option.

We'll be on the Wind Star shortly out of Barbados on Dec. 6. It will be our second Windstar cruise. I've read about a 'welcome aboard gift' -- anyone have any thought on what that is?

It used to be a nice heavy canvas tote bag with rope handles. Last week it was an el-cheapo cloth bad like the ones they hand out for free at conventions.

It used to be a nice heavy canvas tote bag with rope handles. Last week it was an el-cheapo cloth bad like the ones they hand out for free at conventions.

Oh no Bueno. We have a couple of the canvass bags and love them. They are the perfect size to use as a small beach tote.