The hardest pre-cruise decision

biga92

What book are you going to take?

That is always the most stressful question. You don't want to be stuck with a bad book on a boat, or with a book you finish day 1 of 7.

I'll be going to Barnes and Noble today to pick my cruise read(s).

Picking a cruise book is a science!

That is always the most stressful question. You don't want to be stuck with a bad book on a boat, or with a book you finish day 1 of 7.

Always take a book that I have already read. Don't want to waste time on a cruise reading a book that I might not like:p I have a Kindle and an Ipad, both with books but prefer paperbacks (guess I'm old). I go to "friends of the library" and get 50cent books and leave them on board after I've read them (more space/weight in the luggage coming home). So, if you are on a ship and see some paperbacks in the library with "fol" stickers on them you will know that I've been there;)

I bring my Kindle. I have plenty of books on it. I like to read it by the pool when we are at sea.

I am quite old fashioned and like paperbacks. I have about 4 electronic reader Ipad type things, but still keep going back to the old ways! I like folding the corner of the page down, I like the fact that I can leave it poolside and not worry about it getting wet (or worse) I also like that if I find a real gem I can pass it on to somebody else to read.

I bring about 3 books and will leave them on the ship, so if you see turned down pages you know I have been in that Library!

I think the real reason I don't like electronic books though - is that I am an absolute flop at remembering to charge things up!

I go to the used book store and/or the book exchange at the library. I read the first chapter of the book at home. I can usually tell by then whether I like the book or not.

I have a few books on my iPad which I usually do not read. I still like the feel of a book in my hand and iPads are not good for reading outside.

I leave my finished books behind on the ship, also.

I go to the used book store and/or the book exchange at the library. I read the first chapter of the book at home. I can usually tell by then whether I like the book or not.

I have a few books on my iPad which I usually do not read. I still like the feel of a book in my hand and iPads are not good for reading outside.

I leave my finished books behind on the ship, also.

I usually read horror/mystery/cop books but on a cruise I like to read something fun and happy. Like a happy dog tail of some sorts.

I too leave them on board for someone else to read.

• 2 months later...

I take my nook e reader it was only like $49 on a black Friday sale it is tiny and light weight w/expandable memory I never run out of books I mostly use it on the plane I end up people watching on the cruise . Barnes&Noble offers a free nook book every Friday they are pretty good sometimes. Check out My travel blog http://www.atouristlife.com🌴

• 2 months later...

I always take my Kindle with me wherever I go. I have LOTS of choices and refuse to ever read a book I don't enjoy.

That being said, I try to find a "happy" book for a cruise...or at least a light read.

I enjoy cozy mysteries, humor, romantic comedy, etc.

If you have any specific suggestions of great books, I'd love to hear about them :)

• 4 weeks later...
I always take my Kindle with me wherever I go. I have LOTS of choices and refuse to ever read a book I don't enjoy.

That being said, I try to find a "happy" book for a cruise...or at least a light read.

I enjoy cozy mysteries, humor, romantic comedy, etc.

If you have any specific suggestions of great books, I'd love to hear about them :)

If I can wait that long I will take MC Beaton's latest on my kindle -- her cozy mysteries Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth are so entertaining and fun

Also terrific are Alexander McCall Smith series such as Ladies Detective series and Isabel Dalhousie Philosophy series

He smooths over a lot of the rough edges in life.

Happy sailing

If I can wait that long I will take MC Beaton's latest on my kindle -- her cozy mysteries Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth are so entertaining and fun

Also terrific are Alexander McCall Smith series such as Ladies Detective series and Isabel Dalhousie Philosophy series

He smooths over a lot of the rough edges in life.

Happy sailing

Hmmm. I've read all of the Agatha Raisin books (loved them) but none of the Hamish McBeth ones yet.

And...I haven't read ANY of Alexander McCall Smith's books, although they're on my "To Be Read" list.

There aren't enough hours in the day :)