Burwood Beach, Falmouth

planotex

Ten of us took Taxi for $10/round trip per person to beach. Very nice, shallow, fine sand beach. Full facilities are nearly complete and I will post pictures. We are a forward scouting party. Locals were selling drinks, renting chairs and we had some guys with a beach shack cook us some seafood I saw them snorkel out to capture/very good but they need a couple hours notice at this point! Facilities they are building are going to be nice. It is a little sketchy but nothing like MoBay. We felt safe and locals mostly didn't mess with us other than bring us Red Stripe. Wayne Ferguson took us in a very nice shuttle van that held 10. Here is his props: 876.861.7936/876.442.0474/www.wofjamaicatours.com. I will post pics below, great alternative to driving to Dr. Cave but maybe not for all until facilities completed. Say hi to Micky Mouse, Santa Clause and Omar!

• 3 months later...
I'm curious about this beach as well. Does anyone have any information?

I walked there from the port on Feb 27th. No hassles going or coming. It's several miles, so not recommended for "normal" people.

Burwood is the east end of a long string of beaches extending a mile or more to the west. There are one or two private resorts and a number of trails through the scrub limiting or providing access. "Chukka Beach" is about half a mile to the west of the public entrance and each is easily walkable from the other.

I was offered "weed" twice (I declined). Simple "no" was enough. A nice middle-aged lady hustled me for some overpriced jewelry. Her sales pitch was talking about family and God, so I overpaid for some of her stuff. Nice lady.

Drinks were available at at least one point. Vendors were also out, not especially aggressive when I was there.

• 4 months later...

Anyone been to Burwood lately? Are the bathrooms finished? Do they have loungers for rent? Bar/restaurant? How big is the beach? Is it clean?

Is there shade to put your lounge chair under or umbrellas for rent?

any info would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Following as well. We're hoping to go to Burwood Beach in January while cruising into Falmouth.

Also, I believe the op said taxis are $10 pp round trip. We're you able to ride on a bus all together, or did you have to take separate taxis? Does Falmouth have the hop on/hop off buses like they do in Montego Bay?

Edited by MrsTiz

• 2 weeks later...

I was there last week and our group of 3 took a cab to Burrwood beach.

They charged us $10/pp each way even though we said we knew others paid $5/pp. That was kind of a bummer b/c it doubled our travel budget.

Anyhow, the bathroom facilities still are not completed. Our taxi driver said that construction takes years around here and who knows when it would be done...

We took a 5-10 minute cab ride and the beach was locked and gated.

19909693040_877561fc2c.jpg

This is the parking lot area looking away from the beach.

19909604538_fba7f12d99.jpg

We had to have a "beach guide" walk us around the fence area to get to the beach. It was a little sketchy at this point and we were feeling nervous about going to this beach.

19909688580_5ac75902ef.jpg

19909683950_1f8720b5f3.jpg

20103126721_93fc80ef6e.jpg

I think they do this so that guy can get paid, b/c he certainly wanted a tip (we gave him $5). I noticed later when other locals came they let them through the gates.

But once you round the corner this is what you get. :)

19910975179_f7e4e65844.jpg

We paid $5/lounger to use on the beach and they sat us under an umbrella.

This was my view for the afternoon.

20071356036_0073ccfedb.jpg

But we clearly stood out as tourists and for the majority of the day were the only non-locals. I talked to one local lady there with her kids and she was friendly, but goodness the people there try to make money off you. We were hounded by them every 10 minutes to buy something. They even sat about 5 feet away from us and watched our every move. This is why I generally don't care much for Jamaica.

Some general photos of the beach:

Looking back at the beach. Sorry for the water spots on the camera lens.

20071396336_95e3d521aa.jpg

19475038344_f9bee4b09b.jpg

If you notice way back on the left side of the photo above, there is a kiddie play area complete with slides, a swing set and even a trampoline. I think if my husband was with me I would feel better about taking the kids to this place. And if I let them run around on the playground I would be sure to sit closer to the kids area to keep them sorta close by.

19909636030_5daa5e99b4.jpg

19909675460_45b6f0ca37.jpg

I took this pic b/c I thought it was funny b/c there were 2 completed umbrellas on the beach and they were constructing this one. When we arrived they were working on it, then took a long break while we were there. Then when we went to leave they were working on it again. They probably get 2-4 leaves up there a day... :p

19910969269_8032e2e5cd.jpg

Then this guy popped out to photobomb our photos and insisted I take his pic too.

19910971209_9111ebbcd8.jpg

Like most of the locals he was red eyed and smoking some ganja. We were offered some no less than 4 times.

We did not purchase anything on the beach, but were offered beer, fish, massages, hair braiding, beaded jewelry etc...

Overall, we enjoyed our day at the beach. It was a little bit sketchy and out of our comfort zone at times and once we were back to the port we felt a bit more relaxed. But lounging on the beach sure was nice. The water was beautiful. The ocean breeze was perfect and we had a nice relaxing day.

Would I go back again? Yes!

Thank you for your post. Next time negotiate the price with the Taxi driver

before you go into the taxi. I am from that area and i have been saying

this a long time that this beautiful beach is just 5 to 10 minute drive

from the pier and that there isn't really any security concern because

the area have very low crime rate well apart from people trying to sell

you stuff. If more people form the ships would go to this public beach

then your comfort level would have been much higher. Anyway as you

can see, most of the locals are very friendly. Families bring their kids to

the beach. I hope they finish up the bathroom facilities soon

• 1 month later...

Guys I'm not from Jamaica, but have close ties in Jamaica... Outside the cruise gates around the corner is a gas station... Literally a few minutes to walk... Maybe 5min.... Get a taxi there and it's 1.50 each way to Burwood beach....anything directly from the cruise port is going to be more expensive. Just make sure before you get in taxi that you let them know it's 1.50...