How to get around in New Orleans

JEM4205

This old Iowa country boy has booked a trip on the American Queen leaving from New Orleans in June.

The Pre-Cruise hotel stay is in the Westin Canal Place which as I understand is somewhere down on the riverside,

(wasn’t that an old song or something?), anyway, as GASC does not provide airport transfers.

My questions to anyone in the know is, what’s the best way for finding transportation to the hotel, and is there anything of interest within walking distance from this hotel?

My ignorance of the Big Easy is only exceeded by my desire for a big bowl of shrimp gumbo.

There is plenty to do that is just foot steps away from the Westin Canal Place. The hotel is on the edge of the French Quarter on Canal Street and St. Peter's. Narrowing down the list as to what to do is the bigger problem. Galatoire's on Bourbon St. for lunch is a good bet for gumbo. You just might see me there.

If you don't mind, what trip are you on in June?

Thanks for the info; we are booked on the 5 night Southern Culture trip departing June 4th, through the 9th. We have been on several other ocean cruises, but this is our first river cruise, and our first time in New Orleans. Needless to say we are looking forward to experiencing the American Queen and its refurbished splendor.

I'll be in "The City that Care Forgot" later on in the month to catch the AMERICAN QUEEN. If you go to Galatoire's as for Shelly to be your waiter; he cut his teeth at waiting on the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN.

Hi Bradley,

It's going to be a wonderful time, but do be prepared for heat and high humidity. Perhaps I'll see you at Galatoire's!

If you have any question, I might be able to help, but be aware it's a new company, and I can only answer about how it was before MAL ruined the experience.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma so I'm used to H&H...but I'd rather cope with that while relaxing on the American Queen than working long day outdoors on our ranch. I'm taking down names of places to eat in NOLA, so this is a great addition!

You might want to add Commander's Palace out in the Garden District to your list. That and Galatoire's are my two favorite fine restaurants, but I keep on looking for more when I'm in the neighborhood. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to this website although I stalked it when we we on a Rhine cruise a few years back. I was just wondering who is going on the same cruise. Iowa farmer: My husband and I come from a long line of Illinois farmers. Can't wait for the trip.:)

Hi,

I am new to this website although I stalked it when we we on a Rhine cruise a few years back. I was just wondering who is going on the same cruise. Iowa farmer: My husband and I come from a long line of Illinois farmers. Can't wait for the trip.:)

Hello bushvet, My wife and her mother will be on this trip along with yours truly.

I have posted a thread on the river cruise roll call site for this trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1587269&highlight=american+queen

Like you, we are getting kid of itchy to get going on this adventure. See you on-board. :D

Welcome to the site.:)

Archived